• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

n2wdw's comic book room
5 5

890 posts in this topic

On 3/26/2017 at 1:08 PM, n2wdw said:

Comic Weekend – Part 1 (Saturday morning)

I spent a lot of time this weekend on my collection, so I thought I’d do something different and give a play-by-play of the weekend. 

Saturday Morning

As I do most mornings after getting up, I checked bidnapper to adjust my final bids for eBay auctions closing on Saturday.  I was bidding on 2 issues of Rage for Men.  Lately I’ve been chasing this magazine from the 50s because some contain art by Matt Baker.  The non-comic art by Baker is really interesting (at least to me).

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.bae0632be3dcfd238bfd94643885ac3d.jpg

s-l16030.thumb.jpg.645711b543e95ae7aacda33dc748df35.jpg

It was going to be a busy eBay/bidnapper weekend.  In addition to the Rage for Men auctions that were closing Saturday, I had 7 comics I was actively bidding on that closed Sunday. 

After finishing with bidnapper, I surfed over to the CGC gold marketplace.  I always pay special attention to the sale threads of Ricksneatstuff, JimJum and Chuck Gower, because they often offer GGA comics that I’m interested in (I'd add Robot Man to that list but his sales are, alas, infrequent).  As I was browsing, Rick started a new sales thread!  Usually I arrive late to his sales and the best stuff is already gone, but this time it was like I was the first person in the con door.  This led to my first decision of the day.  Rick was offering a nice looking Atomic Comics 1.  As I usually do, I checked GPA and looked at copies on sale on eBay.  Even though I was pretty sure it would sell fast, I decided to hold off on pulling the trigger.  As I feared though, the book sold pretty soon after.  Congrats to the buyer.

58d81c1f82244_AtomicComics1100.jpg.0cb7b4b6cb5dd2182b99a95d827e5bd9.jpg

At the same time I was looking at Rick's thread, I was looking at sale threads by path4play and Soft Serve, and that’s part of the reason I held off on the Atomic 1.  I had to watch how much I spent given those eBay auctions closing later on Saturday and Sunday.  On path4play’s thread, I put down :takeit: flags on Thrilling Comics 53 and Jeanie 22.  I couldn't pass on that Schomburg cover.  The comic's not perfect, but the cover is clean and bright.  I felt the same about Jeanie 22 so both were easy decisions for me.

58d81ca46b20f_thrillingcomics53.jpg.ebc27f70b534184b81c22f8bc0568184.jpg

58d81ca7b64ba_Jeanie22.jpg.3a5eb6755847b59fa38b06526a4f163f.jpg

On Soft Serve’s thread, I sent him an offer on Fight Comics 45.  So, I had to wait on Soft Serve’s response on Fight 45 before I could make a decision on Rick’s Atomic 1.  In the meantime Atomic 1 sold.  It would’ve been a bummer if I lost out on both, but Soft Serve and I were able to agree on Fight 45 so at least I got one of them.

58d81d067f899_fightcomics45.jpg.f3ae346c19baca2b6f982d901621fb98.jpg

I then noticed that stippy52 had further reduced the remaining items in his “Steranko, Frazetta, Comic Book and Artist Magazines” thread over in the Mixed Age area.  I love that stuff.  In my collection I have 7 stuffed magazine boxes of fanzines, and more (favorite ones) displayed on shelves.  I'd been shopping his thread all week.  I added a few more things to my pile.

That took me to about 10am.  So far it'd been a busy morning for comics.  I decided to close the computer for a while.  I worked out and had a late breakfast.

I don't come over to the journals much but just noticed your thread. Excellent stuff. Right up my alley. I'm loving this thread. I was the lucky buyer of the Atomic #1. Glad you hesitated because I've been looking for one for a while. Although the tape was a slight turn off the price sure was right. So I jumped it and glad I did. Glad you got the Fight as a consolation prize!

On 4/6/2017 at 4:44 PM, n2wdw said:

San Diego Comicon Open Registration - Ah, No I Don't Think So

So I got this email the other day.  A chance to contend for a ticket to the San Diego Comicon.

Capture.thumb.JPG.acfb8dc8f0193101209e269f4b825ac8.JPG

I thought about going for it.  For about 15 seconds.

Let's see.  Fight for tickets.  Fight for a hotel room.  Then at the con, fight through long lines.  Fight through crowds at the con.  Fight through crowds at restaurants and bars on Gaslamp.

To be fair, there are benefits to the SDCC.  Like, um, well .... what are they again?  Oh yeah, I can wait all day to see the Walking Dead and Game of Thrones panels.  Of course, on the other hand, I can wait a week and see them on youtube or download high def versions on iTunes (for free).

I can shop for comics at comic dealers.  But, well, there aren't a lot of those, and the list is shrinking each year. Also, the selection and prices are better on eBay and the CGC marketplace.

I can get sketches from artists.  Or just get them off eBay (for half the price).

So no, I won't be going to the SDCC this year, or even contend for a ticket.  I figure the cost of just going to the con is at least $1500 (flight + hotel + tickets + food).  So rather than do that, I'll go on an eBay shopping spree the week of San Diego, and smoke a big rib eye and beef ribs and mushrooms on my Big Green Egg (ah, summer ... I'm so happy it's almost here).

IMG_2765.thumb.JPG.f0eb668ea0c35d8d82a4339a3252bf38.JPG

I still love going to cons.  But I'm done with the artificial scarcity of the SD Comic Con.  I'm going to the NY Comicon in October, and you know, it's easy to get tickets and a fairly priced hotel within walking distance of the venue.  And I'll take dinner at Quality Meats in NYC over Greystone in Gaslamp any day.

So to the SDCC planning committee --- good job at making your event "the place to be."  Just not for comic fans.

Here are some pictures from past SDCCs.

58e6d20aa28a7_SD2000-24MarieStevenson.thumb.JPG.cf5386dce2b5618c20fed83abd54de48.JPG

58e6d212b7c01_SD2000-26BillTucci.thumb.JPG.c6e49978b0f160c2c655ae92eed1022d.JPG

P1010024.thumb.JPG.6af9e9cbc7786f3f87883434dfd56bba.JPG

P7190096.thumb.JPG.88662d86e4abd42ab7f13f5cb25599d1.JPG

PICT1213.thumb.JPG.9e3dd62da19847bb023ede2433ea4c5e.JPG

IMG_0845.thumb.JPG.d242f0131ad090b151f7886ec0fa4fc6.JPG

IMG_0854.thumb.JPG.11f0b755c1dea6a7e2eae0a484e03056.JPG

Sadly, Like you, I'm probably done with SDCC for all the same reasons. I went to the 3rd one and every one up until about 2 years ago. I had a dealer friend that got me a badge but he gave up the ghost and so did I. I miss it, but what I think I really miss is what it used to be anyway. As a consolation prize, I get to go to the Portland Expo Antique show instead. Three days of picking 3 large airplane hangers of junk + a large out door show. I also get to drive around all the out of way junk stores in the area as well. I always find comics as well as toys, advertising and other "Americana". It takes the sting out of SDCC being snatched away.

On 5/5/2017 at 5:37 PM, n2wdw said:

The Bittersweet Story Of A Grail - Matt Baker's Giant Comics Edition 12

This happened at the ACC Tournament.  Not the basketball tourney, or even football, but the ACC swimming tournament.  My daughter swims for Georgia Tech and she made finals in the tourney (as a freshman no less!).  As my wife and I waited for her event, this auction closed on eBay.

It was for Giant Comics Edition 12.  For me, THE Matt Baker grail.  I entered my max bid before getting to the venue, but because things got behind I was able to watch the seconds tick down on my phone.  I was very aggressive with my max bid, because I'd lost on too many GCE 12s before.  And, at the end, I ended up winning it.

So why is this a bittersweet story?  Because within a few weeks, another GCE 12 (this one CGC 3.0) appeared on eBay.  Really?!  It made me wonder if my aggressive bidding prompted the seller to put his (her?) copy up on eBay.  (I might be paranoid, but that doesn't mean everyone's not out to get me!)  The 3.0 sold for 16% higher than mine (about $370 more).  So, who got the better deal, me or the other guy?

Well, it all depends on the grade of my comic, right?  So I sent my GCE 12 to CGC.  I really liked the bright colors on the cover of my comic, and it had great page quality.

IMG_0448.thumb.PNG.19cd932d42c979ff1bca173539cb2d62.PNG

Problem was, my comic had a big chunk out of the back cover.  And Gloria had written her name on the cover.  Could I possible get 3.0, or even just 2.5, with these flaws?

IMG_4359.thumb.JPG.2dc2b5bd69e1faee0c1c7d8056e6a0e7.JPG

Well ... no.  As I suspected (and feared), I ended up getting only 1.8.  At least it came out blue. 

So I feel some buyer's remorse over this comic.  In time I know that will go away.  The only comic buys I've regretted long term are the ones I didn't make.  And, even though the grade is only 1.8, I'm happy with this particular comic.  The colors are bright and the main focus of the cover -- the girl -- is not marred by the other flaws of the cover.  Also, the inside pages are all in good shape.  That means I have no urge to upgrade, so I can permanently check this one off my want list.

590d160007b7c_GiantComicsEditions12CGC1.82352.jpg.d6f557930ba91dfd928739677b6b37f8.jpg

Congrats and welcome to the club. That issue is in my top five favorites of all time any day of the week. You will never be sorry you bought it.

On 5/3/2017 at 10:17 AM, n2wdw said:

"Arched Back" GGA - Jungle Comics 75

In his thread, @Robot Man recently posted books in his collection that fit the "girl chained to a wheel" theme.  I got a kick out of that because I have that same folder on my computer.  I drop scans of all my comics in the "My Comics" folder.  But, I also have folders covering different themes I collect, and "Bondage Tied to Wheel" is one of them. 

I find that having these folders help me focus my collecting.  If I'm thinking about buying a comic, I ask myself "which theme will this comic fit into?"  It's a strike against the book if it doesn't fit into any of the themes.  It doesn't mean I won't buy it, but it's less likely.

Some of the themes I collect are pretty standard for GGA collectors, like "headlights" and "humor."  Books often fit into more than one theme, like both "girl chained to a wheel" and "damsel in distress."

Two of my other themes are "hands tied above head" and "arched back."  You might be thinking "Is this guy serious? Does he really collect around these themes?"  But you don't have to collect comics for too long before you see these poses cropping up on covers again and again.  And many of them are considered classic GGA covers.

Recently I picked up Jungle Comics 75 that fits the "arched back" theme.  Another one is Planet Comics 30.  (Planet 30 also goes into my "classic GGA" folder).

590a0910c94a9_JungleComics7530.jpg.aca69ef17bb7b0c6a5686b623be0bdff.jpg590a0e23a239e_PlanetComics30100.jpg.b53be7c663516651a3b126582e4672df.jpg

As I mentioned before, I really enjoy looking at the house ads of Fiction House books.  Below is the house ad for Jungle 75.  It shows 2 of my favorite Fictions, Fight 43 and Rangers 28.  Both go in the "damsels in distress" theme, which catches a big part of my GA GGA collection, along with "GGA humor."

590a09101509b_JungleComics7530a.jpg.82265078ba972ee331cfd6c26bf556bb.jpg590a0f03e20f6_FightComics4390.jpg.3ff7572a946fd7f777c7fb202d83f710.jpg590a0f1e962db_RangersComics2870.jpg.63a78f63ccaa02ca7e29a8edcfbf645e.jpg

Here is an "arched back" favorite of mine...

complanet72_zpsaio1fjmq.jpg

16 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Sadly, Like you, I'm probably done with SDCC for all the same reasons. I went to the 3rd one and every one up until about 2 years ago. I had a dealer friend that got me a badge but he gave up the ghost and so did I. I miss it, but what I think I really miss is what it used to be anyway. As a consolation prize, I get to go to the Portland Expo Antique show instead. Three days of picking 3 large airplane hangers of junk + a large out door show. I also get to drive around all the out of way junk stores in the area as well. I always find comics as well as toys, advertising and other "Americana". It takes the sting out of SDCC being snatched away.

Hey Robot - Thanks for visiting my journal, hope you come back often. 

Big news for me today.  Just moments ago, I got tickets for the NYCC. :banana: This will be my first visit to that con.  To make it more special, 2 of my daughters are going too.  They're even more excited than me.  It was a group effort getting the tickets.  We were all on our computers refreshing our screens seconds up to 8am, to get into the virtual waiting room. 

My daughters are going for cosplay rather than comics, but it's fun to have this in common with them.

Capture.thumb.JPG.93cee6585db33fdd9b6b2a92e295fe63.JPG

Painted Cover By Matt Baker -- Teenage Romances 27

Here's a new addition to my Matt Baker cover collection, Teen-Age Romances 27.  CGC doesn't list Baker as the cover artist and, based on that, I assume Overstreet doesn't either (since I think CGC follows Overstreet), but I'm pretty sure it's Baker.  The Amash book also credits this cover to Baker.  I'd be interested if anyone thinks differently.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.2b3cd55681f29084677f3cd96a83bbe6.jpg

Capture.JPG.c98d98ab53e307b15e993e790569587c.JPG

I admit I'm a sucker for these romantic covers by Baker, especially the ones without word balloons so you can really see the art.  What's more romantic than a guy proposing to his girl?  It reminds me of Baker's art in Romantic Marriage 24, of the guy carrying his girl up the stairs.  But then you see the captions -- "His Best Friend's Wife" and "My Guilty Love" -- and I wonder who's wife is it?  That's when it kills me the book is in the slab as I want to read the darn thing.

5919b4bd92737_RomanticMarriage24CGC4_557.jpg.77113ae55cb40084cdc3ab10c7698a2d.jpg

On 5/12/2017 at 6:42 PM, Robot Man said:

I don't come over to the journals much but just noticed your thread. Excellent stuff. Right up my alley. I'm loving this thread. I was the lucky buyer of the Atomic #1. Glad you hesitated because I've been looking for one for a while. Although the tape was a slight turn off the price sure was right. So I jumped it and glad I did. Glad you got the Fight as a consolation prize!

My want list has definitely been influenced by these boards.  The first time I ever saw the cover of Atomic 1 was in @Ricksneatstuff's sale thread.  Since passing on it, I've been on a quest to get a copy.  There were a couple on eBay but too expensive for my wallet.  Finally an affordable one was offered.  This time I didn't hesitate and hit the BIN button.  As soon as I get it I'll post the cover here.

Junie 5 (and Cindy 37)

I've mentioned before that the cover of Junie 5 reminds me of Cindy 37.  In fact, of the 2, I probably like Junie better even though Cindy gets all the love (maybe it's a Betty versus Veronica thing).  Until recently this was my copy of Junie 5.

591cf20c158b6_JunieProm546.jpg.0f3e52b6e155793257fa1b4855558299.jpg

Recently I was able to upgrade Junie 5 in a big way.  The Mile High copy!  I want to thank @Ricksneatstuff for selling it to me.  Now finally I can put them side-by-side.  Thanks for reading.

591cf11ed6ec2_JunieProm5CGC9.4EdgarChurchMileHigh1500.thumb.jpg.081354381376a1bb6f9f83d7eae8ee3c.jpg591cf12231740_Cindy37975OP1288.thumb.jpg.f697f90786600dfcb430301185062fa3.jpg

20 hours ago, n2wdw said:

Junie 5 (and Cindy 37)

I've mentioned before that the cover of Junie 5 reminds me of Cindy 37.  In fact, of the 2, I probably like Junie better even though Cindy gets all the love (maybe it's a Betty versus Veronica thing).  Until recently this was my copy of Junie 5.

591cf20c158b6_JunieProm546.jpg.0f3e52b6e155793257fa1b4855558299.jpg

Recently I was able to upgrade Junie 5 in a big way.  The Mile High copy!  I want to thank @Ricksneatstuff for selling it to me.  Now finally I can put them side-by-side.  Thanks for reading.

591cf11ed6ec2_JunieProm5CGC9.4EdgarChurchMileHigh1500.thumb.jpg.081354381376a1bb6f9f83d7eae8ee3c.jpg591cf12231740_Cindy37975OP1288.thumb.jpg.f697f90786600dfcb430301185062fa3.jpg

Now, that's what I call an upgrade! Two great book, congrats!

On January 16, 2017 at 11:45 AM, n2wdw said:

Junie Prom #5 and Kamen's All Top #8 (from Tomorrow's Treasures)

Here are a couple books I picked up on eBay lately. The first is Junie Prom #5. This cover has always reminded me a little of Cindy #37.

as-l1600_zpsbzyr9dyg.jpg

I also picked up this copy of All Top #8. Among defects, trimming is probably the one I dislike the most (along with missing pages and water damage). But I decided to go for it because the trimming was limited to the back of the top cover.

I bought the comic from Tomorrow's Treasures. His eBay instructions are interesting. He makes his listings BIN/Best Offer, but essentially says he's not going to even respond to what he considers to be unreasonable offers.

I can't tell you the number of times I've made what some might consider "lowball" offers on eBay, and they were immediately accepted. My approach has always been, I'm going to offer what I'm willing to pay, and if you counter or reject my offer that's fine. The internet is a big marketplace, I'll just move on to the next thing. Sometimes -- about 1 out of 50 times -- I get a rude response where the seller is offended by my offer (sometimes it happens here, sometimes on eBay). I don't get that. As a selller why would you not want to receive all offers? That gives you control to either accept, counter or reject. How is this not a good thing?

Anyway, back to TT. I've done business with him at cons. I've gotten some good books from him over the years. I'm sure he doesn't remember, but he once gave me a really good explanation on how to price out restored books. I've never bought anything from him on eBay, because of his instructions. He's inviting offers via BIN/BO, but he's sort of not too via his instructions. So I don't want to waste his time or mine. On this book his asking price was $300. Because of the defects I decided to go ahead and make an offer. My offer was $250 (a little under 20% off). I didn't expect him to respond (his instructions say he won't respond if he considers the offer unreasonable). But he did. Within a few hours he accepted my offer.

As I often do when I win something on eBay from somebody, I immediately browsed his other eBay offerings. I found a Phantom Lady with a Matt Baker. Like the All Top it has defects, but acceptable to me at the right price. His price on this one was higher, and what I was willing to pay was more like 35% off. I thought about making an offer, but in light of his instructions, I decided I didn't have the energy to deal with it.

bs-l1600_zpsvvsci9kd.jpg

We have the same thinking about BIN/BO on eBay. If i want something and think it's overpriced I go ahead and offer what I am willing to pay. Disagreeing with someone about grade and attendant price is not the same as putting in $1 best offers on every GA and SA key that pops up. Sellers need to distinguish between true time-wasters and buyers with legitimate differences of opinion (who are likely to be more conservative because obviously the books are not being examined live. That's part of the online marketplace that may be a seller's disadvantage; buyers may err conservatively.)

On 5/18/2017 at 6:58 PM, Readcomix said:

We have the same thinking about BIN/BO on eBay. If i want something and think it's overpriced I go ahead and offer what I am willing to pay. Disagreeing with someone about grade and attendant price is not the same as putting in $1 best offers on every GA and SA key that pops up. Sellers need to distinguish between true time-wasters and buyers with legitimate differences of opinion (who are likely to be more conservative because obviously the books are not being examined live. That's part of the online marketplace that may be a seller's disadvantage; buyers may err conservatively.)

I agree completely.  Though, since then, 1 ebay seller has banned me.  I guess I must have offended him at some point in the past, with a low ball offer.  I don't get that though.  As a seller, don't you want to receive all offers?  After all, you can always reject the offer.  Here's the thing though.  There have been a few times when I would have bought his comics at his BIN price.  But his ban of me is so complete that I can't do that either.  I can't buy his comics at his asking price.  That I really don't get.  I offended him so completely he won't take my money? 

Edited by n2wdw

2 minutes ago, n2wdw said:

I agree completely.  Though, since then, 1 ebay seller has banned me.  I guess I must have offended him at some point in the past, with a low ball offer.  I don't get that though.  As a seller, don't you want to receive all offers?  After all, you can always reject the offer.  Here's the thing though.  There have been a few times when I would have bought his comics at his BIN price.  But his ban of me is so complete that I can't do that either.  That I really don't get.  I offended him so completely he won't take my money? 

I block people quickly. I would rather not have the possibility of a headache than make a few more dollars. Any signs of trouble and the ban hammer comes out! I want no hassles and if someone bugs me on the list they go!

my ebay id is fedres420 if you want to block me for that! :sumo:

40 minutes ago, Bird said:

I block people quickly. I would rather not have the possibility of a headache than make a few more dollars. Any signs of trouble and the ban hammer comes out! I want no hassles and if someone bugs me on the list they go!

I see no problem with a quick hammer If you sense a potential buyer is likely to be pesky (the type who gripe about the book after they get it but want a partial refund rather than a return, etc) But as far as BIN offers go, can't one just set a level at which all offers below "X" are auto-rejected? Those are the sellers I don't get; the ones who write the long diatribes in their listings about not wasting their time with low offers -- as if no one could ever could come to a different conclusion than their grading and pricing. 

46 minutes ago, Bird said:

And in fairness, one can figure out more easily in person who deserves that, but the 'Net obviously negates the gut instinct opportunity to a large degree.

I met a CL lister today (not too far from you, Bird....don't waste your time in Wesley Hills) who insisted I was looking at everything I Saw in the pix, but I knew at least two books pictured were pulled, and the runs were all clearly cherry-picked...otherwise, every issue this guy happened to miss in a 1,500-book collection was a key.

Anyway, I drove an hour but could tell there was no sense pushing and saying just show me everything and I will make a fair offer. 

Sure enough, by the time I got home, the keys were also up in small separate groups. If you want to maximize every dollar, great, but don't picture keys atop a 1,500-book collection listed at an OBO price, then pull them from the lot. 

I'm ranting, but it's an example. Point is in person one's gut tells you better who is likely to be a problem to negotiate with.

Sorry if I took us too far off-topic.

1 minute ago, Readcomix said:

And in fairness, one can figure out more easily in person who deserves that, but the 'Net obviously negates the gut instinct opportunity to a large degree.

I met a CL lister today (not too far from you, Bird....don't waste your time in Wesley Hills) who insisted I was looking at everything I Saw in the pix, but I knew at least two books pictured were pulled, and the runs were all clearly cherry-picked...otherwise, every issue this guy happened to miss in a 1,500-book collection was a key.

Anyway, I drove an hour but could tell there was no sense pushing and saying just show me everything and I will make a fair offer. 

Sure enough, by the time I got home, the keys were also up in small separate groups. If you want to maximize every dollar, great, but don't picture keys atop a 1,500-book collection listed at an OBO price, then pull them from the lot. 

I'm ranting, but it's an example. Point is in person one's gut tells you better who is likely to be a problem to negotiate with.

Sorry if I took us too far off-topic.

not off topic at all. I won't go into NY too far again as I did a Long Island buy off CL that took me two trips, two hours each way. I made nice cash and moved all the books but it was a hassle. And I still have 50-75 posters!

I just blocked someone the other day, after the first offer I countered ($25) and he offered $24 twice (I think it went down that way) so I blocked him. I was concerned he would buy the book just out of spite to return it. If I see you walking bids up and you contact me and seem too disappointed, hammer time! Not saying it is rational, hammer time rarely is!

9 minutes ago, Bird said:

not off topic at all. I won't go into NY too far again as I did a Long Island buy off CL that took me two trips, two hours each way. I made nice cash and moved all the books but it was a hassle. And I still have 50-75 posters!

I just blocked someone the other day, after the first offer I countered ($25) and he offered $24 twice (I think it went down that way) so I blocked him. I was concerned he would buy the book just out of spite to return it. If I see you walking bids up and you contact me and seem too disappointed, hammer time! Not saying it is rational, hammer time rarely is!

That makes sense to me! When you sense someone is a games player, bam!

It's the price point-based guys with quick hammers I don't get. And I don't want to speak for n2wdw but that is what I took his post to mean.

1 minute ago, Readcomix said:

That makes sense to me! When you sense someone is a games player, bam!

It's the price point-based guys with quick hammers I don't get. And I don't want to speak for n2wdw but that is what I took his post to mean.

I don't get those guys either! I guess that I focused  on the part of the post by n2wdw that implied getting the money trumps being offended and went off on a related tangent to show that getting the money is not the  only motivation for a seller. But yes, set your auto-declines. (Even though I do not always do this. But if I get a very low offer on a lot without auto-decline I then add one typically.)

5 5