• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question regarding grading / damage to books in slabs

10 posts in this topic

I just recently picked up a Spider-Man Special Edition (unicef) that was graded at 9.8. It is a beautiful copy and I am glad that I got it, but I am curious as to the grade that it got verses the cosmetic issues that it has. Could this comic have gotten a 9.8 with the corner the way that it is? (see pics below)

(Edit: better image uploaded)

corner_chip3.jpg

Or do you guys think that this is something that might have happened post grading at some point in time after? Or does 9.8 allow for this kind of single blemish, as this is the only thing that is wrong with it that I can see from the outside.

Thanks guys!

-Brian

I respectfully disagree. I have seen other submitted books with bindery tears just like that one, and they received 9.8s. This is a common defect on Valiants. I specifically remember a Rai 3 9.8 with a tear like that one. And I specifically remember being surprised, as you are, that such a grade could be achieved with a bindery tear like that. I don't know if I can dig up scans of other examples.

The Overstreet Grading Guide allows certain bindery defects in 9.8. This particular tear seems to have been included in CGCs own grading standard. I dont think it could have been any worse and still have gotten a 9.8, though. The black cover magnifies the tear, although I'm not sure it's fair to consider that in the grade.

Lastly, I don't quite see how this could be "slab damage".

All I can say for sure is regardless of what ir was, it's not a 9.8 now.

Thanks guys for the replies. Here is a better scan that I took this morning. The crazy thing, is that there is absolutely NO visible corner defect when looking at it from the back. The blemish is only visible when you look at the front. Very weird.

corner_chip3.jpg

What would you guys suggest in this case? Resubmit it and see what happens? Sell it off? Or just let it be?

Thanks in advance!

-Brian

Your book has a bindery tear, which is a production flaw which is permissable in 9.8. If the book were a 10.0 it would be a different story.

If the rest of the book is flawless, just enjoy your 9.8 and ignore this minor flaw. thumbsup2.gif

Why in the world would you re-submit it? Do you have money to burn?

Only reason that I ask about resubmitting is due to the fact that I don't (er didn't) know if this type of flaw was allowed under the 9.8 umbrella. If I ever wanted to sell it I would not want to do it with this type of flaw if this wasn't truely a 9.8. Kind of like the box not containing what on the label scenario.

But since it is allowed on the 9.8's then works for me. Thanks to all that replied! 'Preciate it.

-Brian

Only reason that I ask about resubmitting is due to the fact that I don't (er didn't) know if this type of flaw was allowed under the 9.8 umbrella. If I ever wanted to sell it I would not want to do it with this type of flaw if this wasn't truely a 9.8. Kind of like the box not containing what on the label scenario.

foreheadslap.gif

Man, do you have a lot to learn! Don't you know the label IS the grade no matter what happens to the book inside?!?

tongue.gif