• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it Heresy?

30 posts in this topic

I have to confess that one of my all time favorite movies was Starship Troopers. Maybe because the bad guys were all insects and the whole thing seemed to be filmed in Arizona. :)

"Starship Troopers" is great! There is much more going on in that movie than most people realize.

If you're a fan you've really got to check out the Rob Ager analysis of the film, which is on YouTube. The guy is a little long-winded at times, but he makes some excellent observations:

-- Rob Ager analysis of "Starship Troopers" PART ONE

-- Rob Ager analysis of "Starship Troopers" PART TWO

-- Rob Ager analysis of "Starship Troopers" PART THREE

Many of the weird-landscape scenes were shot in Wyoming and South Dakota. ( LINK )

I think the earth-bound stories give us a common frame of reference, so we tend to enjoy them more.

+1

Stories are certainly more relateable on the Earthly plane than one set outside it.

Actually when it comes to Thor most of the stories away from Earth are the best IMO. (shrug) Mangog, Destroyer issues #191-194, Thor #201 vs Pluto, Thor #272-#278, Beta Ray Bill, The Surtur Saga, etc.

The Lone Ranger = People couldn`t relate to a character whose adventures

took place in the Old West. It bombed.

-------------

Westerns kind of dominated the movie scene for a good 30 years though. If the movie is good, it doesn't matter. I just watched Unforgiven last night for about the 11th time.

I think John Carter lacked star appeal among other things.

I'm an old time collector. I've been around the block. I know my keys.

And yet...

Last night I was watching the new Thor movie, and I realized something:

I don't like off-world adventures.

Yes, it's true.

Growing up, I loved reading about Thor's adventures on earth, but found myself kind of bored when he took the rainbow bridge. Maybe that's why I liked him best in the Avengers. I tried to get into the Kree Skrull war, but when they got into out space, it kind of bored me. When Professor X started making love bunnies with Lilandra I was disappointed and found myself skimming the pages until we got back to earth. Freaky looking space ships do nothing for me. I loved Starlin art, but the stories themselves left me flat. For the record, the silver surfer is an exception, but maybe that's because he spends an awful lot of his time zipping around in our atmosphere.

Am I the only one that feels this way? I know that Thor is an alien to our world, but why does Marvel keep looking toward the stars for their movie plots? Aren't there enough bad guys here? Yes, I understand the logic... Importing aliens for the Avengers made for an epic, consequence-free battle, but I'd prefer all the battles to be home games whereever possible.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that I can identify with our heros, and imagine that I am them. But whenever they are offworld, it takes me out of it. I can't imagine myself as them. I'm not a space traveler (yet).

Maybe it's just me. I love my comic books, I really do. Does anyone else feel the same way?

I like the escapism that comes with reading sci-fi comics and stories that take place on other planets, but to each his own.

John Carter: for one thing it was just called "John Carter", which is about as dull a title as you could imagine. For another it began by stating that everything discovered about Mars since 1913 is wrong. Tip for moviemakers: if you're going to insult your audience's intelligence, don't do it quite so baldly.

I have to confess that one of my all time favorite movies was Starship Troopers. Maybe because the bad guys were all insects and the whole thing seemed to be filmed in Arizona. :)

I was with you up to this point.

Burn the Heretic!

Seriously though, the Holiday Raffle that just took place included so many different types of genres, publishers & characters & the majority of people ended up getting a top ten pick because there is such a variety of interests in our hobby. If you tend not to like space stuff then good for you. Better you know this now so you don't waste money on stuff you really don't want. I wish I was more aware of my interests as a kid. Maybe I wouldn't have gotten subscriptions to Rom or Power Pack... :sick: