• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dallas Fan Days -- October 17-19, 2014

130 posts in this topic

Val is an amazingly kind guy. Met and had things signed by him at Capital City Comic Con this past month. But hopefully this isn't a rinse, wash, repeat type of thing. Although I would take JSC back for another round.

I don't know if I would hold my breath waiting on a big comic book name. They may pull one out of their hat but it will be probably be someone we have seen in the past. I can't say that I blame them for this show because it is Fan Days not Comic Con. They always go with more media for this one. I know they have a couple more big names to announce but they aren't comic guests. I know Mark and Ben both said they have concerns about crowd capacity for the venue and the guest list so far will bring in a LARGE crowd not to mention who probably is going to be added. The comic crowd will be there. We just have to let them know to come to the Fan Appreciation shows as well.

Two months away! :news:

I don't know if I would hold my breath waiting on a big comic book name. They may pull one out of their hat but it will be probably be someone we have seen in the past. I can't say that I blame them for this show because it is Fan Days not Comic Con. They always go with more media for this one. I know they have a couple more big names to announce but they aren't comic guests. I know Mark and Ben both said they have concerns about crowd capacity for the venue and the guest list so far will bring in a LARGE crowd not to mention who probably is going to be added. The comic crowd will be there. We just have to let them know to come to the Fan Appreciation shows as well.

Too bad on the comic names, but it does make sense. As long as they'll load up on comic talent for May we can live with media guests with light comic talent for this show. Have you heard anything else about more Fan Appreciation shows? This past one was fun and it would seem to have a lot of room for growth.

Too bad on the comic names, but it does make sense. As long as they'll load up on comic talent for May we can live with media guests with light comic talent for this show. Have you heard anything else about more Fan Appreciation shows? This past one was fun and it would seem to have a lot of room for growth.

I talked with both Mark and Ben and they both were pleased with how things turned out. They are talking about doing 2 to 4 of these a year which would be cool. I think they could grow these into something pretty big fairly quickly. I suggested they go up on the dealer table price by $25.00 per table and use that money to get a couple of better guests that would not charge for their autograph. They key is for the people to have money in their pocket to spend with us. Also, it won't take long for the hardcore comic collectors in the area to realize that there will be good comic dealers there. Ben also told me that they would create a better page for the website for the events in the future. With minimal effort they got 4000 to 5000 people through the door. That's not bad and word of mouth will spread. If they add just 500 people that are more interested in comics, we all go home happy.

I talked with both Mark and Ben and they both were pleased with how things turned out. They are talking about doing 2 to 4 of these a year which would be cool. I think they could grow these into something pretty big fairly quickly. I suggested they go up on the dealer table price by $25.00 per table and use that money to get a couple of better guests that would not charge for their autograph. They key is for the people to have money in their pocket to spend with us. Also, it won't take long for the hardcore comic collectors in the area to realize that there will be good comic dealers there. Ben also told me that they would create a better page for the website for the events in the future. With minimal effort they got 4000 to 5000 people through the door. That's not bad and word of mouth will spread. If they add just 500 people that are more interested in comics, we all go home happy.

That sounds excellent. I agree that upping the dealer price by $25 per table wouldn't be bad at all, and if it could improve the list/attendance it would be money well spent.

First comic guest announced: Val Mayerik

Repeat of a repeat...

Wrong, actually. Val Mayerik has never been to a Dallas Comic Con event. With the insane popularity of GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY and the resurgence of popularity for HOWARD THE DUCK, Val is a great name to have right now.

Simon Bisley added...repeat from last year.

Sometimes I think the promoters phone is broken, it only calls people they have called before.....

Booking talent is the single most difficult task in running a convention.

Amen.

We are adding some more comic names, but not a ton on this show. After the May event we have a lot more eyeballs on what we do right now, and knowing the crowd limitations of the Irving Convention Center we want to keep the guest list limited to what we know we can accommodate. But for people who always think names like Jim Lee and Alex Ross are the answer, hate to tell you they're next to impossible to get these days, not without calling in major favors or spending insane bank. And yeah, Simon Bisley may be a repeat name, but as I frequently say now, just because YOU have met them doesn't mean others have. Biz is always a solid name to have at shows, and a lot of folks come just to see him, even if they've already met the guy.

I think for me I'm always a more comic creator, artist, writer, focused guy. Dealing from the Signature series side and having to drum up books for signatures is usually hard with the limited times that are commonly seen at many shows even this one. Having a weeks notice of a Dan Slott, Mark Bagley, or JSC might be good for those last minute people but for me it is a huge difference in making the choice of a VIP ticket or simply remaining an exhibitor and especially in hotel accommodations. Less books means lower need for a close venue more books and I'm generally staying at the hotel adjoined to the venue as was the case with Fan Expo Dallas this past May.

To me big names such as Claremont, Bisley, Wein, Wrightson, Denny O'Neil, JSC, Mark Bagley, Bob McLeod, Whilce Portacio, Kevin Eastman and many more that Texas has had over this past year are great and multiple appearances are always necessary. But budgeting in a short 30 day window for myself and others becomes very hard in terms of competing with a show the week prior (NYCC) if a last minute big name does show up.

Personally I have a huge list of artists I would love to see that aren't these big names that others ask for in the McFarlane, Jim Lee, and such market but the fillers are names I can deal around. Throw out your big names first and I can ultimately be more excited about a show and prep earlier as well as join in on the parade of positive feedback.

And yes Val is a great name to add but I believe someone was saying him again due to the reference of him being in Austin this past July. My thoughts, he's a great addition especially following the GotG's ending credits scene.

Star power though, requests would be more along the lines of popular comic tv shows either coming up, Gotham, Flash, the Strain, actors who are still in that B-List bubble while maybe looking at some of the SHIELD characters that aren't commonly seen on lists, Arrow even though they do a lot of signings, and maybe even the filler characters to X-Men, GotG or TMNT.

Awesome you came on and looking forward to seeing more names but please release that one name that gives that huge comic push instead of teasing. Nobody likes a tease...

We are adding some more comic names, but not a ton on this show. After the May event we have a lot more eyeballs on what we do right now, and knowing the crowd limitations of the Irving Convention Center we want to keep the guest list limited to what we know we can accommodate. But for people who always think names like Jim Lee and Alex Ross are the answer, hate to tell you they're next to impossible to get these days, not without calling in major favors or spending insane bank. And yeah, Simon Bisley may be a repeat name, but as I frequently say now, just because YOU have met them doesn't mean others have. Biz is always a solid name to have at shows, and a lot of folks come just to see him, even if they've already met the guy.

Yes, you are getting good names. I guess it's just for people that hit all the Texas shows, the same creators are constant repeats. I'm starting to think about scaling back the travel because additional shows are not creating additional value. The wizard shows are getting to be more and more pop culture shows, with less and less focus on comics, and I hope that the sci fi/dcc/fan days shows don't go the same way. Comics dealers are still a very good percentage of the vendors at your shows, and that's why I choose to do your shows. I just hope to see great comic names that will continue to bring the "comic crowd", to shop the comic dealers.