• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Upgrading or Downgrading or None

55 posts in this topic

I am definitely in an upgrade mode, but mostly trying to go from VG Golden Age Batman's to 7.5 or betters unless its a real clean 7.0. Unfortunitely, not much luck...

No question that has to be tough.

Good Luck!!!

For those who collect SA books, are you:

1) In an upgrading mode (i.e. buys a nicer copy and sell the a lower grade copy)

2) In a downgrading mode (i.e. sells a nicer copy to keep the lower graded copy, plus gets cash).

3) Neither (i.e. buys the copy that you want and moves on to other issues).

Right now, I've been upgrading certain books. I really wish I didn't have that mentality, but because I have a few runs with mostly 9.4 books, I just feel the need to upgrade even the 9.2's (eventhough they are attractive copies).

Everyone else?

Number 1 for me. I've had a complete Avengers run for sometime now, but decided to upgrade my mostly VG to Fine issues to slabbed 8.0+. Always been my favorite series (well, until the recent crappola Disassembled storyline), so I thought it would be cool to get a nice run of 1 - 150. Other than that I'm collecting the books that I dont have - i.e. still need about 20 FFs and just 4 more JLAs to go.

Based on the responses, it seems that either collectors are upgrading or neither (i.e. trying to buy the copy that they want the first time).

No one said they were downgrading (basically mean that they would sell their top books to complete their runs quick in a slightly lesser grade).

I've down-graded many high-grade, early silver marvels over the last few years, mostly in cases where I had doubles and the lower grade copy was still acceptable. Also, for some titles it became obvious that I would never complete a high-grade run, so instead I would re-focus on mid-grade, and sell the high grade "outliers".

But I'm also upgrading the issues/titles where I'm close enough to a high-grade run to splurge on a couple of issues, or where the books are still cheap enough that I can target a full run in high grade.

But I'm also upgrading the issues/titles where I'm close enough to a high-grade run to splurge on a couple of issues, or where the books are still cheap enough that I can target a full run in high grade.

I hear ya there. One of the addicting things in this hobby is to have a nice run in a certain grade except for a few books (which are slightly below). Even if the books look fairly nice, if you got say ten 9.0's and two 8.5's, you just get the urge to upgrade the two 8.5's. Very frustrating. tongue.gifinsane.gif

yup - - but it didnt used to be this way before we put numbers on them. With a nice stack of pretty book sin mylars all we had to decide was if a book kept up with the rest of the run or was upgradable. It was harder and sillier to rank them as being say 1/5 pt more upgradable. It was either a dog (a placeholder) or good enough to keep. Only an available killer copy might move you to upgrade a "good enough to keep"-er.

sigh. Now its crapp, whats that 8.0 doing in there!!

Now its crapp, whats that 8.0 doing in there!!

I have to admit that I have started to fall prey to that myself. And the problem is that the closer you get to your goal, the easier it is to (Dare I Say), OVERPAY to get that certain book or two in the grade you need.

There's one thing to want to upgrade a book because you don't like it (maybe has a flaw that jumps out at you). It's another thing to upgrade because the label says 9.2 instead of 9.4, but the 9.2 books looks great. insane.gif

I think Dan (drummy) is "downgrading" his collection, no?

I feel I'm at a point where there are certain defects I can live with and one I don't like. BTW Most of the books I'm upgrading are to the "CGC acceptance" range whereas I had a reader copy before.

I understand the temptation tho. thumbsup2.gif

Based on the responses, it seems that either collectors are upgrading or neither (i.e. trying to buy the copy that they want the first time).

No one said they were downgrading (basically mean that they would sell their top books to complete their runs quick in a slightly lesser grade).

Drummy is downgrading. He's selling his uber-high grade FFs and moving to nice 8.5s with excellent QP.

Drummy is a smart man.

Drummy is downgrading. He's selling his uber-high grade FFs and moving to nice 8.5s with excellent QP.

Drummy is a smart man.

He sure is! I need some HG SA DC collectors to become similarly enlightened.

-Tim

Drummy is a smart man.

He sure is! I need some HG SA DC collectors to become similarly enlightened.

-Tim

hi.gif As long as we're talking reasonable prices, mind. wink.gif

Hey, thanks for the compliments!

I can't tell you how fun it's been to get the really early SA stuff in 8.5. Books I would have had to wait over a year to afford in NM are coming to me fairly regularly, and they're beautiful copies. I already have two FF's below #7 in 8.5 (3 and 6) and JIM #85 and #86. Not to mention Avengers #3 and #4, ASM #4 and #5, and even some TOS and TTA's. No Hulks yet, though.

I don't know if I'm smart or not, but I'm having a good time. (And for those of you interested in my HG FF's on Ebay, there's no reserve so go nuts! I think the #52 is particularly nice for the grade. grin.gif)

Dan

(And for those of you interested in my HG FF's on Ebay, there's no reserve so go nuts! I think the #52 is particularly nice for the grade. grin.gif)

Take it to the Marketplace, spammer! makepoint.gif

Just kidding. 27_laughing.gifflowerred.gif