• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Speculative winners and losers 2013

104 posts in this topic

Honestly.... since I don't sell any comics and just buy them for my collection and for the fun of it... I'd say all my modern comic purchased has been winners... ^^

This is comming from a guy that tried to get ALL BEDLAM covers... (thank goodness I got outbid on a RRP CGC 9.8 sketch cover (I think my limit was at $300))(I think they're going for less than $100 CGC SS 9.8 today) :gossip:

I don't speculate, but I did purchase 3 Superman Unchained #1 3D Retail Roadshow editions all advertised as VF copies for 99.99 each. one was submitted for SS (Jim Lee) by my LCS and came back a 9.8, another was sold on mycomicshop.com as a 9.2 for 240.00 in store credit, and the 3rd was traded for a Batman #1, Batman #1 1:25, and a Batman #1 CGC 9.8 SS (Capullo).

I'm curious what type of returns people saw on Uber 0 and Polarity (assuming 1).

Meaning, what type of price average for a single issue.

I have/had a number of both and I don't recall prices really being that high. Wondering if this was more related to volume with slight returns above cover price.

Pat

Uber #0 was costing me $12.93 per set of four covers. That includes bag and board and shipping. Most were sold at $55 shipped. Shipping cost was $5.70 because I was doing the flat rate bubble mailers at the time. So I was roughly seeing $30 profit per set. I preordered 25 sets. A little before #1 I put an accept best offer, but I don't know what I accepted because I can't access my Excel file right now and I think it was only 2-3 sets that were left. I also had a few sets from Midtown and a LCS with a few random issues from other LCS.

Uber #1 I only have 4 sets left. I was selling #0 enhanced with #1 since they said that was going to be the only reprint, so I probably sold more #1 sets than most did. I haven't sold any since #2 released though. It is dead until FCBD 2014 (I'm hoping it comes back).

Viperdays said he preordered 75 sets of #0 and #1, but I don't know how he did.

Polarity I didn't preorder for speculation (just for PC), but after the mini finished I was able to get my money back for the regular covers on eBay.

I'm irritated..my shop had E of W 1-3 in sets at $10. I hesitated one day because it didn't look like they were doing any better on ebay and the next day when I decided to pull the trigger they were all gone.

I'm irritated..my shop had E of W 1-3 in sets at $10. I hesitated one day because it didn't look like they were doing any better on ebay and the next day when I decided to pull the trigger they were all gone.

Dude...!

I sold a set not long ago of EoW 1-6 for $42!

-slym

I had a lot of ups and downs this year, but my biggest money maker by far was The Sixth Gun.

I ended up with 20 copies of #1 and countless copies of other issues and none were more than $4, while most were bought for $1.

I think the lowest I sold a #1 for was $75 and the highest was around $275.

Thank you Hastings!

I had a lot of ups and downs this year, but my biggest money maker by far was The Sixth Gun.

I ended up with 20 copies of #1 and countless copies of other issues and none were more than $4, while most were bought for $1.

Thank you Hastings!

I made more money on the prints from Challengers than I did on the issues. Prints are really worth buying if you can be patient until someone buys it. I sold one after the pilot was turned down in May for $150 shipped. Not bad for a $10 purchase.

I was turning down offers of $950 shipped for the full set of everything (FCBD, #1 1st, all the SotG prints) because I wanted $1,000. I had $311.42 invested in it and sold it for $34.40 profit. But I also sold a ton of single issues. Definitely my biggest let down of the year.

Dude...!

-slym

Not sure exactly when this was, maybe October. i checked on my phone and there were sets on ebay for $10 BINs, so i decided what's the point? Then I see so much buzz here I say, heck, maybe I'll get one to read at least, but it was too late

Thank you Hastings!

For some damn reason we still don't have a Hastings here in Cntral Fl. WTF Hastings :sumo:

This is coming from a guy not living in the US. It is amazing I made any coin at all with these moderns.

My winners:

Five ghosts ECCC (bought 2 @60 and sold them for near $200)

Sixth Gun (bought at $150 and sold them to ZaCrew @$280)

Todd #1 (bought early and sold them 3 @129. Still have 6 copies remaining)

Clone #1 (bought at 5 copies @47 and sold them @119, still have 8 copies remaining)

East of West Forbidden (5 copies @$50 and sold them @135)

The waste of my time or break even books

Letter 44

Ghost Projekt

Losers or no putting a pretty face on for these

Helheim Eccc (Lost $1k here. Made the same mistake as CBT. Got it too early before the sixth gun collapse happen. Paid nearly $400 for a 9.8 Eccc and Nycc)

Uber 0 (0 copies sold, $200 worth of inventory)

East of West #1 (sold too late)

Suicide Risk #1 ($200 wroth of inventory)

Overall, I have more losers than winners, which explains why I no longer speculate on moderns.

My current portfolio comprise of older keys that look much stronger now after venturing out of moderns.

Out of interest, why you guys say made a lot of $$, what are we looking at? hundreds or thousands or tens of thousands??

Finally an honest speculator. Like most gamblers, most speculators never remember their losses.

I just can't believe you didn't make money on EOW #1, it was selling well between $6-$10 for a long time.

Uber 0 >>> I thought someone said they they made whole bunch money on it.

Letter 44>>>I saw a lot of copies(not the regular cover) sold at Ebay for reasonable profit.

Thank you Hastings!

For some damn reason we still don't have a Hastings here in Cntral Fl. WTF Hastings :sumo:

Even worse, we had one locally and it closed (before the Sixth Gun craze)! Nooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

Pat

I'm curious what type of returns people saw on Uber 0 and Polarity (assuming 1).

Meaning, what type of price average for a single issue.

I have/had a number of both and I don't recall prices really being that high. Wondering if this was more related to volume with slight returns above cover price.

Pat

Uber #0 was costing me $12.93 per set of four covers. That includes bag and board and shipping. Most were sold at $55 shipped. Shipping cost was $5.70 because I was doing the flat rate bubble mailers at the time. So I was roughly seeing $30 profit per set. I preordered 25 sets. A little before #1 I put an accept best offer, but I don't know what I accepted because I can't access my Excel file right now and I think it was only 2-3 sets that were left. I also had a few sets from Midtown and a LCS with a few random issues from other LCS.

Uber #1 I only have 4 sets left. I was selling #0 enhanced with #1 since they said that was going to be the only reprint, so I probably sold more #1 sets than most did. I haven't sold any since #2 released though. It is dead until FCBD 2014 (I'm hoping it comes back).

Viperdays said he preordered 75 sets of #0 and #1, but I don't know how he did.

Polarity I didn't preorder for speculation (just for PC), but after the mini finished I was able to get my money back for the regular covers on eBay.

Thanks for the explanation. Being successful with the set of four makes sense (I was selling singly and didn't do as well).

Pat

Dude...!

Not sure exactly when this was, maybe October. i checked on my phone and there were sets on ebay for $10 BINs, so i decided what's the point? Then I see so much buzz here I say, heck, maybe I'll get one to read at least, but it was too late

Mine was an auction, and I have no idea why it got so high, but I am not complaining! This was about a month ago.

-slym

My speculation wins:

-bought 7 copies of Nowhere men 1Thought Bubble variant for 60 total and resold for 700 each.

-Todd the ugliest kid!

Speculation loss:

- Not many this year. Biggest loss was probably buying 100 copies of peter panzerfaust 11. (Which is 35 cents currently on dcbs)

Other than the first few months of the year I found this year to be more about catching those minor silver keys which shot up in value over new modern speculation. (Picked up two copies of Tales to Astonish 13 for almost nothing!)

I find speculating on new stuff at or near cover price to be too stressful. I really only do it when there's stuff out on the rack that has already shot up and the shop doesn't care/doesn't know and is selling it at cover like I was able to do in quantity with Saga 1.

not that i don't speculate plenty out of the cheap-o box, but it's a different kind of speculation.

My speculation wins:

-bought 7 copies of Nowhere men 1Thought Bubble variant for 60 total and resold for 700 each.

-Todd the ugliest kid!

Speculation loss:

- Not many this year. Biggest loss was probably buying 100 copies of peter panzerfaust 11. (Which is 35 cents currently on dcbs)

Other than the first few months of the year I found this year to be more about catching those minor silver keys which shot up in value over new modern speculation. (Picked up two copies of Tales to Astonish 13 for almost nothing!)

Speculation loss:

- Not many this year.

Riiiiight.....

Of course not.

You're a big winner.

My speculation wins:

-Todd the ugliest kid!

Speculation loss:

Speculation loss:

- Not many this year.

Riiiiight.....

Of course not.

You're a big winner.

Umm, he's admitted to getting stuck with 100 copies of a 35 cent book he paid $2 a pop for....