• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

30 Days Without a Journal

8 posts in this topic

Or, I now know what it's like to go through withdrawal

Day One: I wanted to write. I started to journal about my cats irregular bowel movements. Opted out. Started to write for my blog, tentative title "I have forgotten more than you will ever know, and have since forgotten that I've forgotten, I'm sorry what were we talking about?". Decided on "The Cost of a Grade"

Day Two: I wanted to write again. Received great news on two of my books. Both retained there 9.8 status after signatures were applied at Wizard World Chicago. Keegan at Comics to Astonish helped make this happen. Texted younger brother good news, had bowel movement while texting younger brother good news. Invoice was received and changed to verified for five books turned over at NYCC and after some time at CCS.

Day Three: At doctors's writing to Steve Borock and researching for "The Cost of a Grade" since it is becoming a larger endeavor than I originally thought it would be. Realizing his wireless reception is worse than mine at home and on a side note his receptionist is still cute as all hell. And my iPad doesn't like to spell hell and would rather spell he'll. Added comment to the chat boards.

Day Four: Picked up comic books as I do every Wednesday. Also received East of West 3 and 4 that I ordered in a 9.8, and an invoice changed from graded to grading quality control and then to shipped. My 9.8's retained and a book I purchased for a quarter received a 9.6

Day five. Bad news my annual dropped to a 9.6. After three signatures added I was hoping it would keep the 9.8 status. I'm disappointed but surprisingly calm since I knew the possibilities. Another book I sent in was so terribly mangled but still pulled off a 9.8 after a press.

Day six. Invoice confirmed. Package on the way. Second invoice also confirmed. And a Recap: Unfortunately my greatest fear happened. My annual dropped to a 9.6. It might have three signatures but is there a lesson to be learned. Will I never crack again, ah who am I kidding, Longshot...bring on art and ann

Day seven: no changes, after all it's Saturday. I'm having trouble believing I haven't written in a week on the registry. Nor have I written on my blog which I should be, but I secured an interview with Steve Borock on Tuesday. I can't wait to find out more on how CGC got started.

Editing note... I stopped editing

Day eight. Went to a one day con. Didn't buy anything but heard a terminology I didn't like. Priced up. This dealer prices his books to CGC prices. I feel that if you think your books are that good, then send them in yourself. I will never buy from this guy. It snowed a good but today and the eagles win a great game. Dying to write a journal.

Day nine. I have a cgc box scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I'm also continuing my article but will have to add once my interview with Steve is over. I found a comic book I really want but have to pass since I wasn't going to purchase any cgc graded books that I didn't already promise too.

Day ten. A good day. I reclaimed the top spot again against my brother. Although he will reclaim it again, and soon, I can't wait until he realizes it and sends me a text. I can hear him now "release the fleas" I also had a nice chat with Steve Borock. Once again it was a good day. Tomorrow more CGC books due to arrive. One is more disappointing than the other.

Editing note... Did I mention I stopped editing

Day eleven: new comicbooks today's, more CGC comics arriving, and an email from Paul Litch. My article is nearing completion but I got lost as I was writing it. Still like it, but wondering if it matched up with my original title. Have to return an email.

Day twelve: received more books from CGC even though one of my favorite books dropped to a 9.6... It has three signatures and it still looks beautiful. It has the same flaws it had as a 9.8, I'm sorry to say it was finally graded correctly. Apparently I repeat myself when I don't write as much.

Day Twelve sub paragraph A: just got another 9.8 new mutants annual 1

Day thirteen: I really want to write a journal. I always enjoyed Friday the thirteenth. Today was no exception. I have another 18 days before I can start to scour the internet again to buy more CGC comic books, but after I added up what I spent in the past two years, will I?

Day fourteen. This is our third day of snow this month. I expect it will be slow at work so I have a chance on working on my article for my blog. I got word that Bagofleas will be getting some books in soon, and I'm still waiting for him to realize he lost first place.

Day fifteen. Confirmed more packages were delivered to my parents. Still working on an article.

Editing note... I'm repeating myself

Day sixteen...

Day seventeen. I went to Comics to Astonish to pick up the books he had done for me. Noticed one had a mistake and will have to ship it back to get fixed. I'm happy my New Mutants annual two and three had kept their 9.8 status.

Day eighteen. New comicbooks more graded books, including one I never thought I'd get again. Had a good conversation with Paul Litch. Had a bad conversation with the car mechanic and currently on my way home on a very crowded el car. Picked up two copies of East of a West five.

Day nineteen. Sold a book on eBay. An invoice changed to quality control. Hoping that the other one will switch and maybe just maybe they will be marked shipped safe before Christmas. Finishing up the complete first draft for "The Cost of a Grade". My brother took over first place again. I knew it wouldn't last. Have to put the itching powder on his sheets again.

Day Twenty. My best haul. A 22 book invoice changed to shipped/safe. Every book but the one I decided to keep hit a 9.8. The one I allowed myself to add to my collection, was a 9.4.

Day twenty one: my books were shipped and I hope the second one that was right behind this one will be shipped before the end of the year. That leaves me just one invoice at CCS I'm slowly paying off what I owe and then Megacon and eccc...

Day Twenty two, Twenty Three, twenty four. My books were shipped, picked up a copy of asm 194 for a friend, since the person who he won it from wouldn't ship to Canada. At first look I graded it a seven, closer examination and I would grade it an eight, with a press I give it a chance to get a 9.0, possibly a 9.2. My other books are on the way. I graded three a 9.8 and two a 9.6. I'm getting 4 9.8's and one 9.6

Day Twenty Four: Also picked up new comic books

Day Twenty five: working means money. Merry Christmas.

Editing note... I should have edited this entire journal

Day Twenty Six. Having a nice day off. Expecting my comic books to arrive tomorrow. Still working on my article and doing my best to make sure it's perfect.

Day twenty seven never got my books. It was attempted after I already went to work and now I have to wait until Monday. Bagofleas switched his set around taking away any books that are not 9.8's. I reign supreme. Realizing it's been awhile since my last bowel movement.

Day twenty eight. Wow is Stan Lee really 91? Finally finished my edit. Can't believe it became what it did. Just have to send it out again for review.

Day Twenty nine: what an Eagles game. Of course it made it a very slow day at work. Expecting 27 books to arrive.

Day Thirty: books arrived. They look beautiful. Can I sell them? I'll start putting them in eBay and hope for the best. If worse cones to worse I have a nice signature series collection.

Day Thirty one: see the above. It wasn't easy, especially in the beginning. I've read new journals but commented on only a few. I knew if I started to write something lengthy I'd have to journal and the past thirty days was to see if I could avoid the website. To be honest, I couldn't. I was constantly checking my status. I was looking over the journals, and taking first place away from Bagofleas, quite possibly for the last time.

Thanks for Reading

Tnerb

14946.jpg

See more journals by Tnerb

Eagles huh, I've been sweating bullets over the Chargers...

Who would have thought these outcomes...?!?!?!

I just read 1-6 of East of West last night and this morning, might be weirdest series I've ever read, still trying to figure out what I just read?!?!?

Nice Hulk 271, I really want one of those.... Some day....

Anyway, welcome back.... (Reminds me of a song...)

"Welcome back, Your dreams were your ticket out.

Welcome back, To that same old place that you laughed about.

Well the names have all changed since you hung around,

But those dreams have remained and they're turned around.

Who'd have thought they'd lead ya (Who'd have thought they'd lead ya)

Here where we need ya (Here where we need ya)

Yeah we tease him a lot cause we've hot him on the spot, welcome back,

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back..."

Those are amazing. Missed you here on the boards. Been doing a lot of the same for me as the household commander known as the wife limits my comic time down to one day a week and when ever she is knocked out and sleeping. I feel like I am trying to hide from the dragon Smog in my own home. Now where is that invisibility ring at so I can check the status of my submissions?

Nice books. I would also like to grab a Hulk 271 but will wait for the movie fervor to die down some. Its been a little while since I wrote anything mostly due to Christmas and travelling.

Whats your Ebay handle(if you don't mind me asking)? I've been looking to purchase a few things lately.

Meshuggah

I think it's the original version of my name, Tnerbson1107. However I don't post as much as I should or could. If you see anything when I do post ask me here. I could probably go cheaper. I normally add in the fees to cover my cost but here there are none.

Surfer99 thank you.

Kahola1256 glad you are back amongst us

Hammershipdown I love those nail biters

It is great to see you posting journals again.

I have the pleasure of speaking with you most everyday, but it's nice to see you doing what you do best. Writing fantastic journals and articles!

I went longer than 30 days before without posting, but that was back when I first got into CGC and didn't really post all that much.

Now I have to post something at least every other week or so, or I start shaking uncontrollably. :)

I can only imagine how hard it must have been for you to refrain from posting, especially with so many fellow collectors and friends who look forward to reading whatever you have to say on any given subject.

Welcome back!!!