• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VOTING: Top 20 Finalists for Funny Book of the Year!

TOP 20 FINALISTS: Funny Book of the Year 2013  

252 members have voted

1. 1. TOP 20 FINALISTS: Funny Book of the Year 2013

104 posts in this topic

Wow, I was way off

#1- Fight against crime #20 is a very undervalued Key book, SOTI classic, highest graded...

I'm delighted to have that copy and if we'd had a "PCH book of the year" contest (hm now there's a thought) it might have been a top three candidate - personally in this poll I'd rate ahead of it the higher graded copies of Eerie Comics #1 and the Marvel Tales #95.

I've so far not come across or heard of a pedigree copy of FAC #20. Adamstrange might know - is there a River City or a Spokane out there, or even a Church copy Adam?

I just cant believe my copy is one of the two best out there, just because it's been graded.

Moetown's Cap #1 was always going to be the winner from those submitted. Wonderful book, and for the second year running, a Timely key has won.

It raises an interesting question ( - well, interesting for me, not necessarily anyone else) about which books can win such a competition if it spans 1935 to 1954?

For example, in the spirit of fantasy football, what romance or PCH book, presuming one existed and changed hands, could've topped Moetown's Cap #1?

I suppose it highlights for me the immensely eclectic reach of Gold Forum.

And just because I'd hate to avoid stirring controversy, it seems to me that if what were posted were, say, all Church copies in 9.4, a pecking order would be more evident, and might look like this:

Key DC

Key Timely

Key MLJ/Archie

Timely

DC

Centaur

MLJ/Archie, Fox, Fiction House, Lev Gleason, other

Pre-code horror

Romance

Others will see it differently. But if there had been - let's be egregiously fantastical - oh, say, a Church copy of Giant Comics Edition #12 in 9.4, would it have won?

Mitch, any thoughts?

There's no Spokane copy of FAC 20. I'm not aware of any pedigree copy of the book but that doesn't mean there isn't a River City or Cosmic Aero. I only know of one very high grade copy of the book (not slabbed, not a pedigree).

I'm sure there are more copies out there but given it's price and popularity, it's likely that the sparsity of copies on the census is indicative of its general scarcity.

FAC#20 is "the" key SOTI book period. How about the interior…is there any links to see the inside stories. If I had to guess, this book would be the least likely book to survive all of these years giving the graphic nature of the cover, which leads me to believe 7.5 is as good as it gets cgc wise.

Adam if you own the "non slabbed high ungraded copy you should grab it...

Wow, I was way off

#1- Fight against crime #20 is a very undervalued Key book, SOTI classic, highest graded...

I'm delighted to have that copy and if we'd had a "PCH book of the year" contest (hm now there's a thought) it might have been a top three candidate - personally in this poll I'd rate ahead of it the higher graded copies of Eerie Comics #1 and the Marvel Tales #95.

I've so far not come across or heard of a pedigree copy of FAC #20. Adamstrange might know - is there a River City or a Spokane out there, or even a Church copy Adam?

I just cant believe my copy is one of the two best out there, just because it's been graded.

Moetown's Cap #1 was always going to be the winner from those submitted. Wonderful book, and for the second year running, a Timely key has won.

It raises an interesting question ( - well, interesting for me, not necessarily anyone else) about which books can win such a competition if it spans 1935 to 1954?

For example, in the spirit of fantasy football, what romance or PCH book, presuming one existed and changed hands, could've topped Moetown's Cap #1?

I suppose it highlights for me the immensely eclectic reach of Gold Forum.

And just because I'd hate to avoid stirring controversy, it seems to me that if what were posted were, say, all Church copies in 9.4, a pecking order would be more evident, and might look like this:

Key DC

Key Timely

Key MLJ/Archie

Timely

DC

Centaur

MLJ/Archie, Fox, Fiction House, Lev Gleason, other

Pre-code horror

Romance

Others will see it differently. But if there had been - let's be egregiously fantastical - oh, say, a Church copy of Giant Comics Edition #12 in 9.4, would it have won?

Mitch, any thoughts?

I would say a GCE 12 in 9.4 -- even if not a Church -- or, better yet, a Cinderella Love 25 in 9.4 -- might have swayed a few votes. Not necessarily because of their content -- well, the covers, anyway -- but because of the unlikelihood of their existing in that condition. If one of these books in that grade surfaced, I think it would catch the attention even of collectors who don't normally follow romance books.

As you know, though, Church's purchases of St. John's books was pretty spotty and most of those that are known don't seem to be up to the usual standards of Edgar's collection. Some people have speculated, though, that there may be some more Church romance books locked away in collections. We can only hope! :wishluck: