• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So, what's you're (comic) resolution (do tell)??

137 posts in this topic

Is that a dig at my new av? IS IT??

:baiting:

Slym, Mr. Gone made slumper go gone. He is creepy, but so are the other avatars. My other goals:

Buy a GI JOE 21 cgc something

Get a boss sig (thanks harv)

other stuff I haven't thought of yet

The more you call Rai "Slumper," the more resolve I have to never use him here again as my av.

:(

-slym

all my resolutions take a lot of time...

organizing the collecting/culling the excess

losing weight/going to the gym regularly (and if i ever get back in shape playing tennis a couple of times a month -- I'm too broken to play hoops anymore)

get a new job (that will pay more, but likely demand more hours)

finish household projects...some of which have lingered for years

spend more quality time with the kids DOING stuff (rather than collectively vegging out on the couch because I'm pooped)

devote a few hours a week to painting...one of my passions 20 years ago that i rarely do now

tough to do with a 40-60 hour work week, 9-10 hours a week of commuting, making dinner 5 or 6 nights a week, doing 15 loads of laundry a week....

Is that a dig at my new av? IS IT??

:baiting:

Slym, Mr. Gone made slumper go gone. He is creepy, but so are the other avatars. My other goals:

Buy a GI JOE 21 cgc something

Get a boss sig (thanks harv)

other stuff I haven't thought of yet

The more you call Rai "Slumper," the more resolve I have to never use him here again as my av.

:(

-slym

I've always mean "slumper" as an endearing phrase because I liked him :grin:

losing weight/going to the gym regularly (and if i ever get back in shape playing tennis a couple of times a month -- I'm too broken to play hoops anymore)

spend more quality time with the kids DOING stuff (rather than collectively vegging out on the couch because I'm pooped)

devote a few hours a week to painting...one of my passions 20 years ago that i rarely do now

tough to do with a 40-60 hour work week, 9-10 hours a week of commuting, making dinner 5 or 6 nights a week, doing 15 loads of laundry a week....

Awesome goals! Good job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good Luck!

all great resolutions. I just recently did a job switch and couldn't be happier. Hopefully it works out for you as well!

all great resolutions. I just recently did a job switch and couldn't be happier. Hopefully it works out for you as well!

it took 2-3 weeks, but 30 or so resumes I sent out in early december are now paying interview dividends. we'll see. i have a job with great benefits/vacation time/pension and flexible hours (I can avoid some office time after 8 hours by doing work at home and on the weekends, so i can get home at a decent hour 90% of the time), but i can't pay my bills on the salary. as we all know, the market is tough, so I'm competing with a lot of other folks with solid resumes.

To sell off the last couple of books I own and figure out what I want to put my energies into moving forward.

get back into rec hockey?

improve my golf game?

collect something I've never collected before, which means no comics, action figures or sports cards?

trade wife in for a younger, less volatile and dumber version?

hm

I had wrote my resolutions a few days ago:

3) Try to build a new comic book wooden cabinet to hold CGC-sized slabs in drawers by the spring season ready. Must be solid wood only (hardware for to pull/push drawers).

4) Try to buy raw 10 GA/SA/BA comics per month. Focus to complete 2-3 other sets then move on for mini-keys.

5) Stay focus only on these above, no more dreks! lol

6) Keep my good job, work hard and be happy with what I have around.

It's one week since and so far I've met and completed #4 already - 10 comics per mth. Done until next month to do again.

#3 - Had begin working on plans and getting a friend to make me this. One step ahead.

#5 and 6 - Staying focus and working hard. Going good.

Will I survive past one month or will I fail like people did with their "gym" promises? lol

The key is to stay focus ahead. Can't let myself wander off...

Less minor keys. More major keys.

Essentially, stop buying ten lesser books and save and have patience for one or two "big books".

:grin:

So far, so good.

Sold a bunch of smaller "keys" from my collection and picked up a FF #5! :cloud9:

Since i've been away from comics for more than 10 years, i've been thinking on trimming my collection to gather a few bucks, but mostly to recover space (which with 2 kids is more valuable than the $$$ itself!).

Complete a couple of very small runs (stralin's cap marvel and warlock) and instead of quantity chose quality.

Thinking on getting for 2014 one or two "major" buyings (see the thread "new years résolutions... drop by and leave your sugestions).

regards

2013 was a great year for my collection, in part because I had some clear goals and I worked steadily toward them. Even if I did not accomplish all of them.

I do enjoy this time of year and this thread had me thinking about my collecting goals for 2014.

The general theme of my goals will be- BOYS COLLECT, MEN INVEST.

While I do not fully agree with this statement, I turn 40 this year and my interest in accumulating underground comix is waning after a 12-year love affair.

1. CONTINUE TO DOWNSIZE AND REINVEST INTO SILVER AGE KEYS

a) buy a scanner

b) sell underground comix on eBay, possibly a store, download Turbolister

c) buy the new Fogel Underground Comix guide

d) continue setting up at Burnham Bowl comic show

e) buy low grade copies of at least 2 of the following:

Amazing Spider-man 1, Fantastic Four 5, Action Comics 252, Adventure Comics 247, Brave and Bold 28

2. HOMEGROWN HARDCOVERS. This is a leftover goal from 2013.

I want to bind my reprint-collections of Zap Comix and Freak Brothers, as well as Books of Magic (1-75) & the Dreaming (1-60) for my wife.

3. CHASE REGISTRY POINTS (Zap Comix)

a) submit high grade Zaps to CGC

b) build my registry set

c) upgrade a few issues (TBD)

d) sell under copies to help fund #1e above

e) repeat for Freak Brothers when the series is added

4. BUGLE-AMERICANS. I have accumulated about 200 Bugle Americans (underground / alternative newspaper from Milwaukee).

I sometimes think it would be nice to compile a book or article or something (much of the content is not copyrighted by design).

However, I have sold a few doubles and they always sell quickly.

I could do something academic or I could dump them to fund #1e. I am going to take 2014 to think on it and make a decision.

5. ATTEND WIZARD WORLD CHICAGO. I hope to buy at least one book from #1e above.

6. CREATE A WILL