• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why were DC SA monsters so lame?

80 posts in this topic

While Kirby's pre-hero monsters for Marvel rarely move beyond the giant ape/lizard/robot/statue archetypes and aren't exactly "scary", they do convey enough menace to sell the idea that humanity would flee from their presence. DC did have it's share of giant fire breathing lizards at the time, but all too frequently had absurd looking monsters that were more laughable than fearsome. I have to wonder at the thought process of deciding that putting a bird beak on a sunflower, attaching to an octopus body and coloring it pink and yellow was the way to go.

Okay, I made that one up, but it sounds like a DC monster circa 1960 doesn't it?

Well I have to assume it was overreaction to the comics code implementation - after all, that had just happened. I think DC just wanted to portray itself as safe fun for kids at that time. Also, they were on top, so they were doing something right. Marvel/atlas monsters are far superior but a large part of that is jack Kirby and or Stan. Marvel had some lame ones too don't forget. The washing machine cover on strange tales 65? Or so is one of the all time lame ideas. Once Kirby took over their quality went up. And I think they were just trying harder. Marvel was fighting to save the company. DC was on top and had more to lose.

I do know what you mean though. I have this reaction every time I look at b&b 28. A giant starfish. My, how will I outrun it? I suppose a barnacle would be even slower so at least it wasn't Barney, the conqueror :facepalm:

I do know what you mean though. I have this reaction every time I look at b&b 28. A giant starfish. My, how will I outrun it? I suppose a barnacle would be even slower so at least it wasn't Barney, the conqueror :facepalm:

...but, it had 5 arms, and there were 5 heroes, and they could each fight their own arm...

While not very frightening it is hard to argue the fact that our friend Starro isnt conquering as a COSPLAY outfit lol ((NOT ME IN THE GETUP BTW but big ups to anyone with the nards to go out in public like that!!))

11693776324_7c6507629c_b.jpg

While not very frightening it is hard to argue the fact that our friend Starro isnt conquering as a COSPLAY outfit lol ((NOT ME IN THE GETUP BTW but big ups to anyone with the nards to go out in public like that!!))

11693776324_7c6507629c_b.jpg

Cant you just hear Green Lantern telling the rest of the team. "I must attack this area first bc the YELLOW substance it emits may be too deadly for me to handle!!"

...but, it had 5 arms, and there were 5 heroes, and they could each fight their own arm...

lol I never thought of it that way but I suppose that was the thought process :facepalm:lol

I think I will reserve my congratulations :insane:

lol ditto I was trying so hard to find a menacing image of Starro on the web and this photo popped up!!! I couldnt help myself I had to share...and BTW there were NO menacing photos of Starro on the web to be found!! lol

The post-code pre-implosion Atlas books did have some goofy covers ( the ST 61 with the washing machines is a favorite of these), but at the same time Everett was doing some very spooky covers, often with more atmosphere than his pre-code work. For the most part post-code Atlas fantasy covers have more menace to them than DC pre-code "mystery" books.

Ah come on, don't knock the DC creatures. I collect both the Atlas/ Prehero books and the DC mystery/scifi titles. I love them all. True this that Marvel had more hugh and fearsome monsters, some just beyond the realm of credibility (Sserpo, Titano, etc.), but I liked DC titles for unusual and esoteric creatures that they came up with. The covers were colorful, where Marvel time after time, brown, black,brown, black.

Certainly, Marvel's bullpen Ditko, Kirby, Heck and Reinman produced consistent and exciting stories and artwork. But, for a change of pace, I also enjoyed Moreira, Infantino, Anderson, Cardy and yes even Mort Meskins sometimes simple and quirky style. No, not all the stories and creatures were stellar, but neither were Marvels. As far as imagination and story telling, DC's scifi/mystery titles could hold their own, IMO.

See, I know a lot of people have a soft spot for the b&b 34 cover but (and I say this as a huge fan of Joe Kubert) it makes me cringe. The monster's head is 43 times too large for its body.

I don't know that I find any of those threatening except the cave Carson monsters

I guess I find their sci fi worked better. Lots of nice books, nice covers, fun stories there

...and BTW there were NO menacing photos of Starro on the web to be found!!

Pshaw! Starro has always been such a menace to the entire galaxy that he's never needed a presence on humanity's puny web.

I don't know about the monsters, but Cave Carson's 1951 Studebaker Mole Machine looks pretty awesome.

Of course. An awesome dude like Cave Carson would naturally have an awesome ride!

:preach:

...and BTW there were NO menacing photos of Starro on the web to be found!!

Pshaw! Starro has always been such a menace to the entire galaxy that he's never needed a presence on humanity's puny web.

:preach:

:roflmao:

This quandry reminds me of the line in the movie "Treasure of the Sierra Madre".

"Badges we don't need no stinking badges".