• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should pedigreed books not be signed?

122 posts in this topic

the signature damages the book
Your opinion, not a fact. :eyeroll:

Unless the policy has changed, what a lot of people don't realize (I didn't until one of the board experts clarified it for me) is that the grade on a SS book is not equivalent to a "Universal" grade, it's analagous to a "Qualified" grade. Take the book out of the SS holder and resubmit it for a Universal label and any writing on the cover is going to be considered damage and the grade adjusted accordingly. On SS books, the writing is not considered in the grade the book receives.

I personally wouldn't label a signature, damage.

Other comics have grease pencil or pen or pencil on them and CGC doesn't necessarily consider it damage. Hell, even distributer's ink is allowed and that's ugly as hell.

If the sig is witnessed it's a yellow label. It does not hurt the grade.

That's correct, for yellow labels the certified signature does not affect the grade on the label. For blue labels, it does since the writing is damage. (thumbs u

That's correct, for yellow labels the certified signature does not affect the grade on the label. For blue labels, it does since the writing is damage. (thumbs u

Situational damage. You gotta love it right? lol

I'm well aware that I wasn't sharing any new information. A sig does not always equal damage, if you want to take a stance one way or another it's an opinion just as CGC has their own as represented by the grade on the label.

Does anybody remember this book, or thread?

Signed pedigree Avengers 1.

Signed Pedigree comics make baby cry.

I cringed when I saw that ugly signature placement especially on a Pedigree book. I too wouldn't have a Pedigreed book signed nor will I buy. It just ruins the whole historical aspect of the book as it was documented into coming from a bigger collection. Losing that providence in its original state where it sat for 50 or so years is just a big no no. Heck I would also go as far as to not press it in hopes it will receive a higher grade. Pedigree books should remain as it was when it was first bought by the OO.

Say you have a high grade book from a respectable pedigree (like, say, curator), but it's not a "key". Is it okay to get it signed for a yellow label, or is that considered ruining it?

I wouldn't, as you're essentially defacing a piece of comic history, but it's your book and you can deface it all you want.

the signature damages the book
Your opinion, not a fact. :eyeroll:

Unless the policy has changed, what a lot of people don't realize (I didn't until one of the board experts clarified it for me) is that the grade on a SS book is not equivalent to a "Universal" grade, it's analagous to a "Qualified" grade. Take the book out of the SS holder and resubmit it for a Universal label and any writing on the cover is going to be considered damage and the grade adjusted accordingly. On SS books, the writing is not considered in the grade the book receives.

And I repeat... your opinion, not a fact. :eyeroll: To someone that collects autographs it's not considered damage in any way, shape or form.

Does anybody remember this book, or thread?

Signed pedigree Avengers 1.

Signed Pedigree comics make baby cry.

I do.

I shared an example, what I think was THE example of a book you should not have signed. 7 in 9.2, one higher. The higher grading copy is a 9.6 that has never been to market. Most of the other 9.2s have worse PQ and overall presentation. This book makes me want to puke.

cgc_tta_35_92_ss_4003.jpg

And I repeat... your opinion, not a fact. :eyeroll: To someone that collects autographs it's not considered damage in any way, shape or form.

Come on, Overstreet states they are damage, CGC states they are damage - who else is left to convince you?

The Yellow Sig Label is really a Qualified label that gets around the "writing is a defect" rule the same way a Green one does, by not taking it into account and using a specially-colored label.

And I repeat... your opinion, not a fact. To someone that collects autographs it's not considered damage in any way, shape or form.

Sure, but to CGC when they grade the physical condition of a comic book to assign a "Universal" grade, writing on the cover is considered damage whether it says "Stan Lee", or "Go Steelers!". That's a fact, and not an opinion in any way, shape, or form. (thumbs u

How does an autograph damage the book?

I'm sure they (CGC, Overstreet) are going off of the literal interpretation of damage, and it doesn't matter if it's a scribble or an autograph. It's still "writing".

I like autographed books, but man - autographing high grade GA/SA/BA books is beyond me.

Come on, Overstreet states they are damage, CGC states they are damage - who else is left to convince you?

The Yellow Sig Label is really a Qualified label that gets around the "writing is a defect" rule the same way a Green one does, by not taking it into account and using a specially-colored label.

Welcome back Vince, and happy new year. :hi: