• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another Year Down by kaholo1256

10 posts in this topic

But thanks to you all it was a short one.

2013 was an amazing year and quite honestly was made better because of a community like you. I started 2013 off overseas and somewhat down on the fact that another year will slowly drip by like molasses in the winter. I figured I would pick up an issue here or there, maybe do a little searching for odds and ends, and then eventually read some of the Journals on here.

All of this was turned upside down though because of you all. Because of you a collector's spirit was passed onto me to do what I could and however I could do it and jump for goals many times out of reach. Because of you I wrote more than I have since my days taking online college courses, and because of you all I was able to feel the thrill of the hunt, and the joy of finding those little diamonds in the rough. I acquired blank covers of art by amazing artists, back issue treasurers that required signatures galore, and even Original Art that I never could have seen myself jump for in years past. I went from page 26 with little over a measly 600 points in 2012 to page 6 and over 13,000 points in the span of a year without ever having to collect for solely for points and staying with what I loved.

I was able to build some amazing Sets in my opinion and most of it with help from this community. I was able to find comfort in competition with a few of my pride and joy Sets: Avengers vs X-Men, X-Force, and Uncanny X-Men (2011), and have begun to enjoy starting up a few new Sets with the All New X-Men and Cable and X-Force. I even took a leap off the deep end and picked up a few Neal Adams issues to gain his signature on.

To Tnerb first -- Thank you. Your daily, weekly, journal's both on here and in your blog made my year shorter by simply giving me an outlet to absorb. Your kind words through journals, and in reading your Sets and descriptions throughout the year has truly motivated me to build not only some prized Sets but also to add to them so others can see my enjoyment as they see yours. Your reminder to collect what I enjoy and or love has been a standard that has kept me while at times jumping around... primarily focused on my core goals.

To his little brother -- Your competitive side and continuance to strive for better ignited a sense of never resting on my laurels. You and your brother's interactions showed me this was truly a community and not simply a place to vent frustrations. Your Sets have made me continue to look at my own in whether to improve or hold fast and for that I thank you. I cannot wait until the day when I can possibly rival both you and your brother in at least the New Mutant Liefeld Set but until then will continue to stand by and drool.

Ronnylama -- As many have stated on here your kindness truly knows no bounds. My Christmas present was quickly scooped up by a three year old and following picking up a raw copy has assisted in passing off of a passion from father to son. While added to my Registry Set it prominently sets on my Sons shelf where it is now shown as if it were a trophy. I cannot wait to attempt to return the favor and hopefully shake your hand in person at ECCC as long as the wife doesn't kill me before then for this past months CGC fees from Austin... short story but for another time.

SW3D -- I have to say honestly your journals continue to make me smile throughout the year and your passion for cornering the market knows no bounds and has slightly started to spill over onto me as well. While I never knew much about your preferred character in the beginning I certainly know an amazing amount of her now and every journal you have posted on her has made me want to hear more. Its passion and drive for OAKs such as these that have pressed me into making some OAKs for myself.

Surfer99 -- My wife wants to kill you. I just want to put that out there. first My Man Cave, which at one point was fung shuiied out or however you put it is now becoming a shrine to Comic Art galore with the pick-up of Original Art. Had you not turned me on to comicartfans my wife would still have her God Awful looking room along with at the least 20 different pairs of shoes. Once I get everything back from Hobby Lobby and nailed up I'll have to post some photos. But just know, even the mentioning of surfing and the year 99 makes my wife scowl... and I enjoy every minute of it.

Senor Shepherd, Shivabali, Meshuggah -- Its been amazing reading each of your journals throughout the year and viewing your personal touches to there Sets. I may even have to jump over from time to time and pick up a few titles I normally may not look for because of each of you and look forward to the chance of meeting each of you.

SRoszkowski, Kuddy, Alphaprimeian, Edward3, Blarfingar, and what looks to be my newest competition Oceanavekid - Thank you. Each of you in your own ways have made me continue to want to improve upon my sets on a constant basis and have kept me focused throughout this year. I know I may lose a title to each of you, or may attempt to take one from you, but either way the competition in the Sets have made me go through the gambit of feelings and I look forward to it even more in this coming year.

Finally dscott -- You have been amazing for me this year and have attended Con's, facilitated blank sketch opps, and assisted with more things acquired this year than I should have ever had. You were my voice to artists and creators, and had it not been for you, like Surfer99, my wife would have had an even more packed closet of shoes, but I wouldn't have had the unbelievable amounts of art that I have been able to acquire in my absence. Thank you sir.

To anyone I missed I do apologize but know that every member that has been on here has helped in some way this year in making a bad situation better and more easily able to be tolerated. Thank you and I cannot wait to see what 2014 brings to us all.

Oh and probably my best blank cover of the year, showed it in the Signature Series Forum by Danny Cruz

14959.jpg

See more journals by kaholo1256

K-Man,

Thank you for the kind words and gracious sentiments. I'm delighted to know I played a small part in making your time overseas slightly more tolerable. Words cannot emphasize and convey how proud and grateful I am of you and the servicemen who defend our country and its people. It's good to have you home.

I'm there with you: this community and its members make this hobby so special. For me, 2013 was a big year for the hobby I love and it was the CGC and its thriving community that really made it spark! Without you guys I would have no one really to share it with. Now I have a group of friends I can interact with, albeit virtually, but with meet-up's at Cons it will become bigger and

Wishing you all a prosperous and joyous New Year and may you all fulfill your collecting goals!

SW3D

First off, I want to thank you for serving. I don't know what it was like over there. I never will, but I am sure there were scary times and I am glad you are back safe and sound.

I also thank you for the kind words. I too love the community here. All the interactions we have with people and the friendships we make. I have used the journals as an outlet to relax. Sometimes to vent, but most times to share. The books you get by the artists, all those blank covers turned to gold, is nothing short of amazing.

I hope 2014 is a great year for you and not with only comic books, but with your family. And just to make you and your wife happy, I am sure if you turn some of those stiletto heels she owns upside down they would make great display stands.

Tnerb

SW3D, I appreciate it but I truly do mean it. When I first got over there in 2012 I basically said to myself, oh mess, another long year. But a month into reading some nondiscript Tnerb Journal and I was hooked. Add in some points gathering, throw in some Original Art and ..... BOOM, hooked Funny how I was able to see you do the interview and following that put a voice and face to the Journals provided. I do hope to make a trip up to NY at some point this year and would like to try to schedule it around the NYCC timeframe in order to be able to introduce myself and share in the Peter David signing experience. I do have a #3 to go with your 1 and 2... just saying.

Tnerb, I have to honestly say following your journals was almost a daily/weekly joy. Getting on here and going from the CGC journal to your wait staff daily blog gave me moments to want to reflect on my own experiences through stupidity and intolerance that could only be explained through someone with a talent for sarcasm.

Example-

Radio Transmition Officer (RTO) - Yeah we can see you on UAV, go up.

Me - Like in the air dip mess.

RTO - No your location Heathen 7 (ME)

ME - Is this a North up, South up, East up, or West up.

RTO - Umm, wait one.

ME - Give an adult the radio please.

But yeah, when it came to venting, garnering new ideas for blanks, or simply sitting back and drooling away over everyones covers I have to say I enjoyed coming back, dropping my kit, and reading these exploits on here. As with SW3D and your little brotha, I truly cannot wait to meet you and others over the next year at a Con near you. Hopefully I can prearrange a few more sketches over the next few months for pick up at each of these Con's. I can say I should have one more massively cool one in the next few weeks as well as one from Nick Bradshaw, Natali Sandars, and Whilce Portacio by the end of this month.

2013 was a little slow on the blank art but this year I'm trying to really go big with some cool names and ideas but I do have this one that just left for CGC before the holidays started.

0qX7tRNm.jpg

And I'll ask the wife about the decorating tip. Could be a good combination of both of our hobbies...

The Mancave has just recently undergone some painting which started yesterday. My Christmas gift was my wife "giving" me the room. Originally for some odd reason she thought I was going to go with the Raider, NFL style room and attempt to do the whole football theme as we tend to host parties there but instead my ideas I think left her saying "Wait.... you want to what?" followed quickly by "You are such a geek" and responded with a resilient "Yep." I know it wasn't what she thought she was getting to have nor what I was wanting to have but while it will host many a Football games and UFC fights, it will also play host to so many more Marvel movie nights.... and the occasional Batman and Superman movie.

As for a board in there not yet. I did however make a purchase from foamez for a blank board with the hopes of getting a few artists to do some sketching on a blank board. Hopefully once all is said and done I can get some signatures, get it sketched, inked, and colored, then throw some polyester resin on it and hang it up. That coupled with a Deadpool guitar signed by Stan and hopefully later on by Liefeld should seal the deal for me and the big props.

Dude! You crack me up! I love your writing and your passion and your sense of humor. I feel safe knowing you're out there watching our backs, that's for dang sure and I'm glad you're home. Tell your wife she should be thanking me since you wisely invested in all that original art instead of throwing it away on something temporary that loses value as it gets older...like shoes. Ha!

Can't wait to see your man cave. It sounds like it's going to be amazing. What you need to do now is start taking over the house little by little..."This comic art with the color scheme of the matting would look amazing in our living room. These comics would also look great framed and hanging in our bed room." Soon, X-Force will dominate the house of K! Just don't tell your wife I said that.

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

What a journal and thread! Thanks for the kind words! I too have enjoyed your postings, also enjoy checking out your sketch covers. The picture you posted earlier in the year of you and family was great.

I was just thinking the other day about how some DC guys like myself and Marvel guys like you and a few others here actually have some common ground. The common ground comes from the Death of Superman and X-Force, Jim Lee X-Men, Excalibur, Todd McFarlane Spider-Man. All of these come from the '90s and are noted for leading to the comic crash of the decade, but these are what started us on comics and this is what we enjoy.

Can't wait to see the man cave, also looking forward to more journals from you and everyone else on here in 2014.

Surfer, yeah my wife's response was something like "Yeah.... You can't go out and play with him anymore." I did try the intelligent thing though this year and went all in for some gift cards at her favorite shoe store's. Even made sure to package them in shoe box's, bagged and boarded, taped to cardboard, with those foam peanuts surrounding them... I don't think she appreciated my attempt at keeping those cards in 9.8 condition. noob...

And yes I did try that but she won that war easily and decisively. I decided to put some slabs with stands in the living room and to switch out some decorative china plates in her curio with some slabs claiming half the house was mine. Later that evening she asked me to take out the trash and while the bag was empty for the most part all of the ones that were up in the cabinet were carefully placed inside.

ME: Woman, you know you are replaceable right?

Master: And so are you my love.

ME: Fine, I'm going to find a lawyer and we're doing this.

Master: Awesome, I just want you to remember I get half as most of your GCG's were acquired while we have been married.

ME: Its CGC

Master: Well my half will be called GCG

ME: Sorry, I'll put my stuff away.

Master: And while your at it can you get me a glass of water, my throat is parched.

No mention of your name was ever brought up in this conversation.

Brandon, I appreciate it and did notice that as well. The most vocal of us here are the ones who collected what others now commonly refer to as "drek." Simply stuff everyone thought was worth money and simply hasn't panned out that way. I do have to say that a downside of it is that when looking for copies now, I can find them everywhere. Just none are worth purchasing for any other reason than to pass them on to my kids to read.

And yes, once completed pictures will follow.

K-Man, thanks for the mention and the great journal. I'm still in awe of that sketch cover set. Its beyond amazing! I actually just purchased my first sketch cover and will write about it once I receive it. Unfortunately it was someone else's and not an original made for me, but its great anyway.

I come to the boards for pretty much the same reason you do. I haven't been deployed to a war zone, but coming here and reading everyones journals and the sharing of knowledge is great. I've learned quite a lot from everyones journals and enjoy the friendly competition and sharing(Such as SW3D sending me a Spawn #9 just because).

I look forward to reading the journals of the regulars here(Tnerb, BOF, SW3D, you) as well as all the input from guys like surfer, ronnylama and a lot of the newer people showing up. Because of all you guys the journals are always my first stop on these boards. I do hope to attend a con and meet you guys at some time. Until then keep it up with the great journals.