• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DCs big week..... yeecchhhhhh

26 posts in this topic

I just finished slogging through the final)?) two chapters of the interminable and incomprehensible WAR GAMES crossover that stagnated teh Batman books for 3 months that seemed like forever.

yeeccchhhhh.

and I read the "BIG BARRY ALLEN SURPRISE!" I dont know what I expected it to be, but it wasnt this. Did these stories ever really happen, or can you shoehorn ANYTHING into continuity nowadays??

yeeeccchhhhh

and finally Superman. Can anyone tell me what the facckk is going on with this story??? wow, what a stinker.

yeeccchhhhhh

All thats left tonight is the return of Hal Jordan.... should I bother?

well, the GL story was a decent start, wrapping lots of stuff up and starting over again...... we'll see how it goes.

But I forgot that I also had the new Spidey in my pile!! Not what I expected to happen (expecting the worst)......

One DC book that I didn't pre-order and added to my pile was SOLO #1.

It was a really pleasant surprise (well, not the $4.95 price).

SOLO is a new series of books spotlighting DC artists, it's full of short stories written by other creators and it shows the versatility and talent of the artist. The first issue, which came out yesterday features short stories by Tim Sale.

Solo #2 will feature work by Richard Corben.

I also found myself drawn to ADAM STRANGE #2, which I had already decided to "wait for the trade" on, but Pascual Ferry's gorgeous artwork was too enticing. This series has been a real surprise.... in a good way.

I agree with Aman's description of Batman: War Games. I got the latest Batman for a friend and read it. Yuck.

I enjoyed Flash #215, but I kept thinking this is too big of a continuity implant to ignore. The ones in IC were small off-camera scenes, this seems like an entire period of Barry's life.

As I said elsewhere, GL: Rebirth #1 was an intriguing start to what will hopefully make some sense.

And Planetary #21 (with the greatest cover I've seen on a comic in a long time) was excellent. But when is Planetary ever not excellent?

and I read the "BIG BARRY ALLEN SURPRISE!" I dont know what I expected it to be, but it wasnt this. Did these stories ever really happen, or can you shoehorn ANYTHING into continuity nowadays??

since I dont Collect Flash can you PM me the Surprise so this thread dont spoil it!?

I just finished slogging through the final)?) two chapters of the interminable and incomprehensible WAR GAMES crossover that stagnated teh Batman books for 3 months that seemed like forever.

yeeccchhhhh.

The Bat-books have consistently been poor since Denny O'Neil retired and Archie Goodwin passed away. Sigh.

Maybe Dan Didio will fix this problem before the movie rolls out.

since I dont Collect Flash can you PM me the Surprise so this thread dont spoil it!?

Go to the Identity Crisis thread and my last post there. If you highlight the white text in the centre of my post you can read what's revealed in Flash 215.

thanx Kev... I was trying out in my head how I was going to phrase it quickly but without enough detail, and dreading the exercise!

I also liked Adam Strange #1 enough to keep up with #2 (didnt read it yet...) But back to Matman: War Games, I really dont lik ethe Spoiler ending either. Or the fact that the story didnt really end with the last issue. Or the whole "Batcave" thing... Cant they tell 'big' stories without big referring to the amount of destruction to Gotham City? Like the earthquke and this calamitous gang war that left 100s or 1000s dead? Big stories are what change the characters, move them forward. You dont need a huge ALL OUT WAR to do that.

I enjoyed GL: Rebirth, Flash, and Aquaman this week (haven't gotten to JLA or Outsiders yet).

As for Batman, I have to say I have not followed the War Games [#@$%!!!] at all, I don't even have a clue what it's about. The last couple of weeks, I just picked up the Hush TPBs and got my fix of Batman that way, since I had not read that story yet.

Will War Games be worth getting in TPB?

I have to say that I have not read much about Aquaman in the boards, but I am enjoying the series, I think it's an interesting story, the art is not bad, and it gives me a break from the Superman and Batman overloads smile.gif

I followed each Aquaman relaunch until this one. I figure Ill just let it run its 30 issue course. Somehow I cant get into the whole underwater scene anymore... You know, its pitch black down there.... how can they see everything so clearly. Id be eternally depressed living in near darkness all the time!!

Adam Strange is really a surprising good title. I have never read any previous Adam Strange issues, either with the JLA or Mystery in Space. In the first issue it reveals the entire history quickly and uncomplicated. So far in my top 5 current comics.

The Flash kinda opens a lot more questions than before. I would ask those questions, but that might spoil it for those that like to wait for the TPB a five years after it comes out. (yeah you FFB)

I'm kinda glad I gave up on War Games after a couple issues. I tseems as if the whole cross storyline in the Batman family of books works occasionally, but not every time.

War Games - loved it - I love watching Batman and his band of Robins get messed up or mess up bigtime.

Flash - I'm cool with it since this is the only continuity I'm familiar with. I have the advantage of not having my mind burdened by what's happened to the Flash before Crisis, post Crisis, 893blahblah.gif

Superman - great story and art. Would like to see more WW and Supes action. Lois just doesn't compare...

Return of GL - 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

As a new DC reader, I'm enjoying the current output.

And as another newer DC fan, I enjoyed:

GL: Rebirth - it has me interested in Hal, his past and future. Will definitely continue to purchase this one.

JLA - I'm a big Busiek fan, so I was looking forward to this one. Fun issue, setting up the arc. The MM and Flash interaction is fun and fascinating. Will also continue to read.

2 for 2 smile.gifthumbsup2.gif

"But back to Batman: War Games, I really dont like the Spoiler ending either. Or the fact that the story didnt really end with the last issue"

I agree with you on the ending. A crossover that runs through about 20 issues and pretty much ends in the same situation that it began with. I didn't think too highly of Babs' role in the finale either. It all goes back to the question of "why doesn't Batman kill the Joker and stop him from killing again", which DC has tried to answer a few times(successfully or not...who knows). As a matter of fact, War Games really was just a Joker storyline with a different face.

As with the No Man's Land Storyline - I will wait for the trade (I know Dam its blasphemy) I still bought the comics just tucked em away. Coming from someone whos about 30 issues short of a pretty solid grade run of Batman from 200 up I can't agree more with the Archie Goodwin Denny O'Neil statement, even when O'Neil was group editor of the Bats books things were ok.

I just will not get sucked into the buying crossovers of titles I don't normally get to follow a story that may suck. DC will double dip me as I will buy the Batman comics and the Trades when they come out.

Adam Strange 893scratchchin-thumb.gif who's writing it????