• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay: auctions missed when I know I searched. Any suggestions?

13 posts in this topic

Hi all, I am looking for some advice on Ebay.

I think I am missing something, or perhaps need to search in different ways.

I search for books every single day at least once, sometimes several times. Every single day I search for Planet Comics, but I didn't even see this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PLANET-COMICS-13-SCARCE-EARLY-FICTION-HOUSE-1941-VG-VG-NO-RESERVE-/111246834248?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item19e6d3fa48&nma=true&si=tLoe9pCK32%252F0FuRi1rTiqMwgpis%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557#ht_728wt_882I want to see all the books offered not just what Ebay decides it wants to show me. This has happened to me before when I learned of a Planet 14 bought via Ebay from Harley Yee that I didn't see either. How I discovered the 13 above was searching completed items ( yes I search that as well to see if I missed anything. )

This book was listed Sunday Dec 29 early in the AM of the 29th, and I know for certain i checked Sunday morning after breakfast, and again Sunday evening between 8:00 - 9pm during Heritage auction time. Didn't see this book at all. It can't have anything to do with the listing not selling to Canada as I see dozens of auctions daily when I search that will not ship outside the US. I know I also checked Ebay Dec 30th AM before the book sold, I remember looking on Ebay before going out for lunch and a movie that day.

When I search, I type in the title which is Planet Comics. Everything with the name Planet and Comics comes up so I browse that for a bit changing it to newly listed. After I see what is there I change my search to golden aged books and search it again: Planet Comics and browse that and change it to newly listed in golden aged.

The above book never came up for me at all.

I search Ebay.com

Any ideas how I miss it?

I realize this is unlikely to get resolved. Maybe I should contact Ebay support. :blahblah:

Hey man, happy new year. The fact that you've switched your searching options boggles me a bit. It's funny you brought this up, as my searches on my Iphone are sometimes different then my searches on my PC.

Maybe change categories (choose comics), also search highest price including shipping icon(this option seems to bring up all the copies). Also, the seller could have listed it incorrectly. I found a beautiful FF1 that was in the modern section of comics instead of the silver, and depending upon how I searched it wasn't there.

A little redundant, hope I helped a bit.

What I've found is that eBay will "limit" some sellers auctions from being viewed by everyone. They e-mailed me to tell me that it is due to the detailed seller ratings. It makes me wonder how they think this is working, as it keeps possible bidders away from bidding up auctions, thus keeping fees down. Seems dumb as I've missed out on auctions too that I would've bid on, and increased the fees paid by the seller. So this policy seems to hurt buyers and sellers.

Hey man, happy new year. The fact that you've switched your searching options boggles me a bit. It's funny you brought this up, as my searches on my Iphone are sometimes different then my searches on my PC.

Maybe change categories (choose comics), also search highest price including shipping icon(this option seems to bring up all the copies). Also, the seller could have listed it incorrectly. I found a beautiful FF1 that was in the modern section of comics instead of the silver, and depending upon how I searched it wasn't there.

appreciate the reply. Yeah I figured I just need to do even more searches. ( I already do the "search by highest price" option )

What I've found is that eBay will "limit" some sellers auctions from being viewed by everyone. They e-mailed me to tell me that it is due to the detailed seller ratings. It makes me wonder how they think this is working, as it keeps possible bidders away from bidding up auctions, thus keeping fees down. Seems dumb as I've missed out on auctions too that I would've bid on, and increased the fees paid by the seller. So this policy seems to hurt buyers and sellers.

Interesting, I was not aware of this. It must be what is happening.

2 things

first some stuff is on ebay usa only not ebay Canada

second if the seller says they don't ship international the item seems to get bumped to the back of the line so far down it is hard to find

---

what you can do is google something and chose a ebay usa or uk or Australia address then from that item search from that country all of ebay and that will give you a lot more choices and if you hit watch from USA ebay it askes for your password and bumps you back to ebay Canada

If I am searching pence books from my ebay Uk account I get totally different results

:)

2 things

second if the seller says they don't ship international the item seems to get bumped to the back of the line so far down it is hard to find

---

what you can do is google something and chose a ebay usa or uk or Australia address then from that item search from that country all of ebay and that will give you a lot more choices and if you hit watch from USA ebay it askes for your password and bumps you back to ebay Canada

If I am searching pence books from my ebay Uk account I get totally different results

Thanks bud, I will give that a try.

Do you ever come up to Edmonton?

that happens to me with my ipad all the time the searches are not the same as on the pc

2 things

---

Thanks bud, I will give that a try.

Do you ever come up to Edmonton?

with luck will be up again next year to the comicon

I agree. But eBay is all about shooting themselves in the foot lately.

:facepalm:

-slym

Also, I see so many people who put the comic (or whatever) in the wrong section that I personally would never search that way.

I just enter the title of the book I am looking for in the search query. Then again, I get lots of chaff that way...

-slym