• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Golden Age vs Silver/Bronze CGC

46 posts in this topic

I'm with Ciorac and company

Buy what you can afford, buy what you enjoy, and if you have the funds to spare buy bulk, cream your favorites out and sell the rest, break even or make a little

(Speaking of which, I may have to consider another "everything's five bucks" thread one of these days)

Does anyone doubt that the SA census figures for keys will see fairly significant expansions in all grade ranges over the next 5, 10, 15 years?

I don't see demand keeping pace - just my two cents.

(What's the average sale price for a Hulk 181 CGC 9.8 over the past 10 years? I would like to see this plotted on a chart. It would be interesting to see if prices have peaked and rolled over.

For GA one worry has been that older collectors would someday liquidate and overwhelm the demand with increased supply driving down prices, but there doesn't seem to be enough high-grade key/desirable books for this to ever be a real concern IMHO.

.... the biggest problem with GA (longterm) will be demand. Many younger people view them as simplistic and one dimensional and don't see the point in putting significant funds into them. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I think as long as people collect comic books, there will be demand for the Golden Age. One aspect of golden age collecting is that it takes a bit of maturity to appreciate them.

I'm currently 29 and started collecting comics when I was about 12. I had initially started in on moderns and cheap silver age Marvels. However, the more immersed I became in the comic world, the more enthralled I became with more esoteric books. I was raised on X-Men and Batman, but now nothing excites me more than to pick up a Schomburg War cover, or anything done by L.B. Cole.

It takes a little while (and money) for collectors to migrate to the golden age, but I think most collectors can't deny its appeal.

(What's the average sale price for a Hulk 181 CGC 9.8 over the past 10 years? I would like to see this plotted on a chart. It would be interesting to see if prices have peaked and rolled over.

9.8 copies have dipped 50% over the last decade. Conversely, 9.0 copies have increased in value 50% over the last decade.

I think as long as people collect comic books, there will be demand for the Golden Age. One aspect of golden age collecting is that it takes a bit of maturity to appreciate them.

I'm currently 29 and started collecting comics when I was about 12. I had initially started in on moderns and cheap silver age Marvels. However, the more immersed I became in the comic world, the more enthralled I became with more esoteric books. I was raised on X-Men and Batman, but now nothing excites me more than to pick up a Schomburg War cover, or anything done by L.B. Cole.

It takes a little while (and money) for collectors to migrate to the golden age, but I think most collectors can't deny its appeal.

..... some GA is about as cool as a comic can get ..... that "anything goes" approach to a new medium. I really like the precode 50's stuff. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

9.8 copies have dipped 50% over the last decade. Conversely, 9.0 copies have increased in value 50% over the last decade.

Very interesting. Thanks.

There was an interesting and related discussion that occurred in this forum within the last year or so. There was a fairly useful comparison of scarcity/price of SA vs. GA. Our search features are unfortunately lacking but maybe someone has saved the topic.

Right. As recently as 2009, there were two 9.8 sales for >$26K. Last two sales on GPA were last November for $9,700 and $8,066. :o

Right. As recently as 2009, there were two 9.8 sales for >$26K. Last two sales on GPA were last November for $9,700 and $8,066. :o

So much for high grade keys being a blue chip investment.

If the SA census swells over the coming years, wouldn't this trend continue/worsen? What would make it turn back up at this point. Is new demand coming on line?

If the SA census swells over the coming years, wouldn't this trend continue/worsen? What would make it turn back up at this point. Is new demand coming on line?

Well, of course, IH 181 is a BA book that came out after comic collecting had exploded and many people were purchasing multiple copies of books and had a good idea of the proper way to preserve them. SA books -- particularly pre-1964 -- are scarcer, so I wouldn't be as concerned about census numbers swelling, particularly for books graded 9.0 and above.

That said, I agree with you that the outlook for comic prices isn't good. I'm pretty much the resident Debbie Downer on this subject, so I won't rehash my arguments, but investing in comics expecting long-term appreciation is a very risky proposition.

Collecting comics for the fun of it, on the other hand :cloud9:

I believe the GA market will bifurcate further. Keys, classic covers, interesting rarities, villain covers, better "artist" covers, and other cool books will at least sustain value for a while longer, where more and more run of the mill stuff will slowly drop down to a minimum price range where folks just think it's worth buying because it's old. I'm not sure how low that will go, and it's obviously genre and age dependent, but despite the run up on classic covers, I've got some pre-code crime books in my collection that aren't worth anymore than what I paid 10 or more years ago when I bought them for less than guide. Not a good sign for longer term value. Like many Gold/Atom collectors I continue to buy what I like, without obsessing over investment potential, but I keep a fairly low cap on the type of books I feel there is not much demand for.

I don't really know to much about investments and future values, but I

do remember the pleasure it gave me to find new comics and issues of

my favorites on the newsstand during the 40's and early 50's and then to

share that same pleasure with my sons as they collected in the 70's.

And now we have the fun of sharing these books with my grandchildren

who are discovering SUPERMAN and STAR WARS.

To me, I guess it's just all about collecting no matter what "age".

mm