• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Most affordable GA superhero comics?

19 posts in this topic

O.k, so we've all seen the topics that list which comics we'd have to sell our loved ones into slavery to be able to afford... smile.gif

What are the more affordable/common GA superhero comics? What's the best way to get started collecting GA superhero comics?

Captain Marvel, which I believe was at one time the highest selling superhero comic book, is readily available and affordable. DC's and Marvels aren't!!

Captain Marvel, which I believe was at one time the highest selling superhero comic book, is readily available and affordable. DC's and Marvels aren't!!

I think you mean Timely. thumbsup2.gif

I agree that Fawcett's are probably some of the most affordable. That said, I would try some of the other of publishers as the covers seem to be "COOLER" than Fawcetts. Fawcetts are like DC's (fairly plain covers with lots of blank space) while some other publishers are like Timelys (i.e. lots of action on the cover).

I counter with the fact that Mac Raboy did covers for Fawcett that rivaled anything that DC or Marvel/Timely ever created! I think that his work on Captain Marvel Jr. and Master Comics is reasonably priced right now.

While Nedor has some breakout covers that go for big coin - there are alot of Nedor Schomburg war covers that can be found for $80-$120 in VG condition.

Also, if you keep away from the high demand classics, some of the early Fox titles are pretty cheap for 1939-1941 books with covers by Lou Fine and others.

I've noticed that late 40s - early 50s Batman & Superman books can be pretty cheap if they don't have classic villian covers.

Also books that lack either esoteric interest, classic covers, or mainstream appeal can be cheap - the pre-Kamen issues of Blue Beetle come to mind.

I think you mean Timely. thumbsup2.gif

I agree that Fawcett's are probably some of the most affordable. That said, I would try some of the other of publishers as the covers seem to be "COOLER" than Fawcetts. Fawcetts are like DC's (fairly plain covers with lots of blank space) while some other publishers are like Timelys (i.e. lots of action on the cover).

I think some of the Fawcett covers are super cool. They're definitely more graphic (in terms of being "designed") than the busier Timely style, but that's not something that would be a negative for me.

The stories in Captain Marvel are actually a lot of fun, as well.

Fawcetts are great! The stories tend to be excellent and there are some first rate covers, too. As was mentioned, the Mac Raboy covers on Master were outstanding. Late issues of Capt. Marvel can often be bought for <$25 in lower grade.

Nedors are still relatively affordable as are Harveys and Fox titles. Some MLJs can also be found affordably such as Black Hood and Zip.

My advice (which is what I did myself when I was first getting into GA) is to buy a few sample issues of each company and see what appeals to you. I eventually settled on MLJ and Nedor as my faves, but there are lots of other companies/titles out there.

Hope this helps.

For me, there always seemed to be steady demand for Jack Cole's Plastic Man in his own title or especially in Police Comics which had Eisner's Spirit too. Much tougher to sell Marvel Family or that title with Capt Marvel's bunny rabbit. crazy.gif

Yeah, late issue Plasticmans used to be pretty cheap, and Blackhawks even cheaper. Some Plasticmans from the early 50s have great horror covers, but the real cheap ones were the Cuidera covers with Cole reprints and non-Cole stories. Quality in general put out a lot of books with great art that are pretty cheap if you stick with the post-war stuff.

Airfighters/Airboy is a dirt cheap title - not too much in the guide, and usually available at 50% of guide or less on Ebay.

Airfighters/Airboy is a dirt cheap title - not too much in the guide, and usually available at 50% of guide or less on Ebay.

Jeepers that reminds me! THE HEAP!!!! Should get some of them. While not slotting into my pre-code horror type set, really love THE HEAP. Somerthing for Man-Thing and Swampie to grow on!

Unless things have changed since my GA SH days, Plastic Man was kind of like Captain Marvel - relatively easy to find and not as expensive. Also some VERY amusing stories. (am I off-base now, GA Hero collectors?)

For serial characters, I agree that Captain Marvel and Plastic Man are under appreciated and therefore, under-valued. thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I'd love to collect GA Captain America, the Human Torch, Sub-Mariner, Green Lantern, and Flash...but everyone else would (and does), too, obviously!! I'll never be able to afford some of the prices, though.

Interesting thoughts on the Batman and Plastic Man issues. I've always enjoyed the PM character, although I was never a huge fan. He's great comic relief.

Best advice would be to collect the title or character you like, all else is secondary!

I understand, but my budget isn't "secondary" to what I wish I could have! smile.gif It's primary! smile.gif

I was able to dip my foot into the GA this past weekend, thanks to a "40% off guide" discount I happened upon in one of my local LCS's (had no idea it was going on, I just went because I had some free time). I'll post up some scans in the "Have a Cigar" thread at some point this week.

While most of us have a budget when it comes to collecting - there are a number of different ways to apply it. If youfeel a title is out of reach pricewise, you can always look for low-grade and/or restored copies - even incomplete ones. Or you can look for what you feel are classic or great representational issues of a title. As most GA titles have only minimal continuity and often suffer from poor and redundant writing, the desire to complete a run is often less than it would be for Gold and Silver.