• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicBoard.com Censorship

28 posts in this topic

Well, I don't think I have ever been banned from a board before, but apparently having a different opinion with the moderator on the Avengers board at Comicboard.com will do just that.

Comicboards

Funny thing is, I received no warning, email or anything. Nothing I posted is at odds with the Board rules either. confused-smiley-013.gif

Guess you can't have an opinion there that doesn't conform to the moderator's thoughts. Oh well - thank goodness this board isn't run the same way!

27_laughing.gif I would love to link my posts, but I can't get in there anymore.

I guess its just as well, since Avengers is done and I don't plan on picking up New Avengers. But I still sent a message to the board owners concerning their moderator's trigger happyness. Lot of good it will do - but I feel better for it smile.gif

I guess saying Brian Michael Bendis is the "Avengers Greatest Villain" didn't go over very well?!? insane.gif

Actually, my two posts today had to do with a quote on writing stories based on marketing strategies by Meltzer (from this week's Wizard) which I aimed at Bendis and Marvel's latest strategies, and questioning how the moderator can recognize a "typcial Avengers story" when he admited he didn't read Avengers to begin with. Guess that's a touchy subject confused-smiley-013.gif

I'm thinking this is a sign: it is time to start my JLA collection... 893whatthe.gif

Well, I don't think I have ever been banned from a board before, but apparently having a different opinion with the moderator on the Avengers board at Comicboard.com will do just that.

Comicboards

Funny thing is, I received no warning, email or anything. Nothing I posted is at odds with the Board rules either. confused-smiley-013.gif

Guess you can't have an opinion there that doesn't conform to the moderator's thoughts. Oh well - thank goodness this board isn't run the same way!

Wear it as a badge of honor, your to good for those 893censored-thumb.gif anyway sign-rantpost.gif

If they can't handle a little"TRUTH" 893censored-thumb.gifmakepoint.gifboo.giftonofbricks.gif

How about a link to the thread where you expressed your opinions?

Ask, and you shall receive (from the moderator, not the board owner):

Hi drice,

You've been banned from the board because your tone as of late has been

unacceptable. It's one thing not to like a book or disagree with

someone,

but to respond to people like you did in this post:

offending post

As a rule, we generally like a civil tone on our forums, so if people

aren't

going to discuss things like adults...

And my response (which was sent to the board owner):

Well, I beg to differ. I do not see anything wrong with the tone of this post, and I have seen considerably worse than this on Comicboards.com. My only other post yesterday was to quote an article in Wizard that pertained to the subject.

I think the real reason is that I disagreed with a Moderator, and call him out on it.

I would think any decent board would have at least a warning system or three strikes rule - how is anyone to know if they are outside "moderator perceived" norms?

No problem, if this is the way you treat people on your boards then I certainly do not want to participate on them. There are plenty of other boards to choose from that are more open and do not reflect such obvious censorship. The funny thing is, when I posted on another board about the banning, I was asked if it was Fin Fang Foom that did the banning. It seems you have developed a reputation, and I do not think it is a good one.

drice6900

That's what you get for cheating on us with other boards... stooges.gif Seems like a Nazi admin whose shortcomings in life are superficially compensated for by lording it over the mere "plebes" on the board over which he can exert some "authority"...

but enough armchair psychoanalysis, Barbara...

It would seem that 98%+ of the guys here wouldn't last a day over there.

MK couldn't even create an account. grin.gif

MK couldn't... but what's to say that "Shark Majoo" would suffer a similar impediment?!?!? devil.gif

HE IS RISEN! angel.gif

Wow, you got banned for that? It took BatfanBugaboo months and threats of physical violence to get kicked off here.

This is the happy place cloud9.gif

We all just get along acclaim.gif

We have angel.gif

We have devil.gif

A little this flamed.gif

A little that hi.gif

Some that headbang.gif

Some that sleeping.gif

But the mods we have here are way cool.gif so don't go and 893censored-thumb.gif with the rules

or makepoint.gif

Well, here is the reply from the ComicBoard.com owner:

> Well, I beg to differ. I do not see anything wrong with the tone of

this post, and I have seen considerably worse than this on

Comicboards.com.

I see the tone as being a bit too agressive. That's why the moderator

asked you to watch your tone.

Your response should have been to either tone it down and say nothing,

or reply with an "okay" at the very least.

> I think the real reason is that I disagreed with a Moderator, and

call him out on it.

Nah. I know these mods very well. They're not petty and they don't

let personal disagreements cloud their judgement. They're attempting to

moderate the tone of a very busy and often passionate board.

> No problem, if this is the way you treat people on your boards then I

certainly do not want to participate on them. There are plenty of

other boards to choose from that are more open and do not reflect such

obvious censorship.

Your post wasn't deleted and nothing was censored. But we do ask

people to keep a moderate tone on our boards, and that's why we have

"moderaTORS."

If you prefer to use another board, please do so.

If you think you can watch your tone and post here, I'm sure the ban

will soon be lifted. Your choice.

> The funny thing is, when I posted on another board about the banning,

several people asked if it was Fin Fang Foom/Arsenal that did the

banning. It seems you have developed a reputation, and I do not think it is

a good one.

I do. And it's my opinion that counts as I own this place with Alvaro.

We're happy with Foom's and Arsenal's work, and in fact most people

appreciate that we choose to keep our boards relatively flame free.

You can post with those parameters, or choose to go welse where.

Thanks for understanding.

Dave Galanter

ComicBoards.com co-owner