• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HULK #1 CLUB : THE PUNY LITTLE MAN LEAGUE

1,315 posts in this topic

Just got this in the mail today. Pretty excited. Didn't think I have this one for a few years.

Hulk_1.jpg

What keeps that down? Must be something on back?

If not, that's the easiest resub winner I've ever seen!

Great book - congrats!

Just got this in the mail today. Pretty excited. Didn't think I have this one for a few years.

Hulk_1.jpg

Great book - congrats!

There is a minor crease that runs vertical across the front cover. You can see the top of the crease between the "R" and "E" in "INCREDIBLE"... and you can follow the crease to the bottom of the cover. It's faint and hard to see unless you look for it. I'm guessing that's the cause of the lower grade. But maybe too low?

Back looks better than front. Back looks 7.5 or 8. I think it's a real re-sub candidate, considering there is NO risk of grading lower. No way this would ever grade 4.5 (or lower than current 5).

Hulk_1_BC.jpg

Hulk_1.jpg

Great book - congrats!

There is a minor crease that runs vertical across the front cover. You can see the top of the crease between the "R" and "E" in "INCREDIBLE"... and you can follow the crease to the bottom of the cover. It's faint and hard to see unless you look for it. I'm guessing that's the cause of the lower grade. But maybe too low?

Back looks better than front. Back looks 7.5 or 8. I think it's a real re-sub candidate, considering there is NO risk of grading lower. No way this would ever grade 4.5 (or lower than current 5).

Hulk_1_BC.jpg

Damn man nice copy. Sweet new sig "line" too. It's actually more like a paragraph! lol

-J.

Damn man nice copy. Sweet new sig "line" too. It's actually more like a paragraph! lol

-J.

Thanks J. I found it too hard to choose which books to include in the sig... Like choosing a favorite child. So for me it's '21 kids and counting'. :)

I find this listing and the labeling on this book to be downright shameful. And indicative of the inherent problems that arise when we start pretending that "conservation" and restoration are not the same thing. What exactly is "amateur conservation" anyway? Ugh. :facepalm:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/INCREDIBLE-HULK-1CBCS-5-0-OW-WHITE-PAGES-LIKE-CGC-/321649235929?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item4ae3c9d7d9&nma=true&si=RgD8672UacyTR%252Bjk7ERwAehdhLc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

-J.

I find this listing and the labeling on this book to be downright shameful. And indicative of the inherent problems that arise when we start pretending that "conservation" and restoration are not the same thing. What exactly is "amateur conservation" anyway? Ugh. :facepalm:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/INCREDIBLE-HULK-1CBCS-5-0-OW-WHITE-PAGES-LIKE-CGC-/321649235929?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item4ae3c9d7d9&nma=true&si=RgD8672UacyTR%252Bjk7ERwAehdhLc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

-J.

One doesn't have to pretend. One just has to look up their definitions.

I think CBCS can take another hit on that book. Hate to be the buyer. That's a restored book ..unless I am missing something?

You're not. It is restored. The buyer of that book was hornswoggled by a misleading, if not deceptive label and a seller who clearly played a semantic game to sell a book.

"Conservation" is just a polite way of saying a book is restored. They are not mutually exclusive terms in the comic book world. Either a book has been well preserved or it hasn't been. It is physically impossible to "conserve" something that has already been damaged or improperly stored. Anything done to the book to "fix it" after the fact is restoration, 10 out of 10 times.

-J.

-J.

It's a slippery slope. :eek:

I think CBCS can take another hit on that book. Hate to be the buyer. That's a restored book ..unless I am missing something?

You're not. It is restored. The buyer of that book was hornswoggled by a misleading, if not deceptive label and a seller who clearly played a semantic game to sell a book.

"Conservation" is just a polite way of saying a book is restored. They are not mutually exclusive terms in the comic book world. Either a book has been well preserved or it hasn't been. It is physically impossible to "conserve" something that has already been damaged or improperly stored. Anything done to the book to "fix it" after the fact is restoration, 10 out of 10 times.

-J.

Wow. Starting to get a shaky feeling about CBCS.

You should post this in CG.

(Nice use of hornswoggled, btw)

-J.

I don't understand why the buyer was hornswoggled. ???

The description is on the label in the pictures and it's spelled out in the listing in black and white and the buyer made an offer likely reading and knowing this.

Depending on how large the tear seal and attached pieces are, the book could grade reasonably well without them, making that book a possible bargain.

You could have quite a bit of wear (or a small piece missing) and the book would probably still grade high enough that it would be a reasonable price - the book would have to grade below 2.5 for the buyer to be hornswoggled.

This isn't a CBCS issue, it's a changing of terminology as the hobby matures.

-J.

The description is on the label in the pictures and it's spelled out in the listing in black and white and the buyer made an offer likely reading and knowing this.

Depending on how large the tear seal and attached pieces are, the book could grade reasonably well without them, making that book a possible bargain.

You could have quite a bit of wear (or a small piece missing) and the book would probably still grade high enough that it would be a reasonable price - the book would have to grade below 2.5 for the buyer to be hornswoggled.

They were hornswoggled by a blue label with restoration notes. That would appear to be a CBCS issue, because if that was a CGC label it would be a very different shade.

The description by the seller explicitly states the book is not restored. It is. You can change the terminology and the label colors to soften the impact but the bottom line is the book is restored. I agree with the others here, this was a case of hornswoggling !

-J.

They were hornswoggled by a blue label with restoration notes. That would appear to be a CBCS issue, because if that was a CGC label it would be a very different shade.

If someone thought that was an unrestored book they'd have popped the BIN so fast eBay's server circuits would be playing catch up.

Someone made an offer on an $8500 book that probably would have cost $15,000 if it was unrestored. They probably knew what they were getting.

CBCS was clear in explaining that both restored and unrestored books would be going into Blue labels.

CGC is also putting all books into blue labels, albeit the new CGC books will have a purple stripe at the top.

I still don't see how someone was hornswoggled.

The description by the seller explicitly states the book is not restored. It is. You can change the terminology and the label colors to soften the impact but the bottom line is the book is restored. I agree with the others here, this was a case of hornswoggling !

Ah, I see what you mean.

The seller says 'not a restored book'.

As far as the new terminology goes being used by both CGC and CBCS, conserved is the way they are describing it moving forward...so did the seller do something wrong?

I admit it's a change to the way things were done for the past 15 years but I don't think the seller was dishonest.

Do you?

Ah, I see what you mean.

The seller says 'not a restored book'.

As far as the new terminology goes being used by both CGC and CBCS, conserved is the way they are describing it moving forward...so did the seller do something wrong?

I admit it's a change to the way things were done for the past 15 years but I don't think the seller was dishonest.

Do you?

Yes, I do. I believe his intent was to mask the fact that the book was restored. He should have let the label speak for itself.