• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HULK #1 CLUB : THE PUNY LITTLE MAN LEAGUE

1,315 posts in this topic

This auction may be shilled - I tend to agree with Jdog though - I don't think it is - this book is going Globally crazy.

When uber-respected dealers such as Mr Storms and Mr Reece confirm sales that smash previous GPA highs, is it foolish to believe that this will only happen in the world of dealer site BIN's?

There just aren't many Hulk #1's around.

Nobody queries the value of an AF #15 anymore but the same thoughts were there when this book went mad.

The market has changed, and people are now realising that it might be better to have a collection of 10 mid-grade SA mega-keys, than 100 longboxes of runs of books.

Both types are equally as valid as each other - it is up to them how they spend the money they work for.

BUT - is it a stretch to think that more and more people are realising that maybe it ISN'T such a good idea to have thousands of low grade books and have a small collection of mid-grade Hulk #1, JiM #83, ToS #39, AF #15, Action #252, BatB #28 etc etc?

After all - these books will be the last to fall if the predicted (by some) price-crash 'doomsday' should come to pass.

Lastly - not everyone can play in the Gator end of the pool.

A Hulk #1, is most likely their equivalent of an Action #1.

Lets face it, most GA dream keys are out of reach for 99.9% of comic collectors, especially remembering that this board has some of the crème de la crème of the hobby on it.

For the less financially endowed, a Hulk #1 is their dream book - and they want to get one while they can - in any grade.

2c

This auction may be shilled - I tend to agree with Jdog though - I don't think it is - this book is going Globally crazy.

When uber-respected dealers such as Mr Storms and Mr Reece confirm sales that smash previous GPA highs, is it foolish to believe that this will only happen in the world of dealer site BIN's?

Nobody queries the value of an AF #15 anymore but the same thoughts were there when this book went mad.

The market has changed, and people are now realising that it might be better to have a collection of 10 mid-grade SA mega-keys, than 100 longboxes of runs of books.

Both types are equally as valid as each other - it is up to them how they spend the money they work for.

BUT - is it a stretch to think that more and more people are realising that maybe it ISN'T such a good idea to have thousands of low grade books and have a small collection of mid-grade Hulk #1, JiM #83, ToS #39, AF #15, Action #252, BatB #28 etc etc?

After all - these books will be the last to fall if the predicted (by some) price-crash 'doomsday' should come to pass.

Lets face it, most GA dream keys are out of reach for 99.9% of comic collectors, especially remembering that this board has some of the crème de la crème of the hobby on it.

For the less financially endowed, a Hulk #1 is their dream book - and they want to get one while they can - in any grade.

2c

Yep, well said.

2c

Yep, well said.

+1

2c

7 more to go!!!

Is this sarcasm cause 12k for an ugly 3.0 does not seem likely. But if it does happen yee haw cause my 3.5 just became worth 14k

:banana: banana time!

Please elaborate on this for me Beige. I haven't heard of this before. (shrug)

There are some long standing comic collectors of huge standing who predict that this is the age of "movie hype" rather than the collecting focus of people changing to reflect that Hulk #1 and AF #15, are now accepted 'pop-culture' iconic products.

I am in no position to definitively argue either way. I simply don't have that level of knowledge or experience.

I can only look at my lads who are both at University, and who regard comics, especially one's featuring the 'established' characters - Batman, Spiderman, Hulk, Wolvie and Black cat etc etc as the coolest things going.

And they are in the majority at their Uni.

In 10 years, they will be pulling in a decent salary, and will have fond recollections of these comics and movies.

Maybe in the future they will seek out the 1st apps from the 1940's - 1980's of their favourite character - maybe they won't....

But if they do - the future is hopefully going to continue with new comic collectors.

The opposing view is that so many people will get burnt by 'movie hype' that they will leave the hobby for ever.

And there are examples to support that view.

For every Hulk #1 think Whiplash, Silver Samurai and Mandarin

Who will be proven correct? I would not be so arrogant as to predict.

That's entirely your decision :preach:

Please elaborate on this for me Beige. I haven't heard of this before. (shrug)

There are some long standing comic collectors of huge standing who predict that this is the age of "movie hype" rather than the collecting focus of people changing to reflect that Hulk #1 and AF #15, are now accepted 'pop-culture' iconic products.

I am in no position to definitively argue either way. I simply don't have that level of knowledge or experience.

I can only look at my lads who are both at University, and who regard comics, especially one's featuring the 'established' characters - Batman, Spiderman, Hulk, Wolvie and Black cat etc etc as the coolest things going.

And they are in the majority at their Uni.

In 10 years, they will be pulling in a decent salary, and will have fond recollections of these comics and movies.

Maybe in the future they will seek out the 1st apps from the 1940's - 1980's of their favourite character - maybe they won't....

But if they do - the future is hopefully going to continue with new comic collectors.

The opposing view is that so many people will get burnt by 'movie hype' that they will leave the hobby for ever.

And there are examples to support that view.

For every Hulk #1 think Whiplash, Silver Samurai and Mandarin

Who will be proven correct? I would not be so arrogant as to predict.

That's entirely your decision :preach:

Thanks buddy! (thumbs u Your info has given me a better picture of what you meant before. I do personally feel regardless if the metaphorical "price-crash doomsday" does happen, the genre will prevail, especially for the more iconic heroes. (shrug)

I have been collecting intermittently for ~40 years and I'm proud to have come up during a time when the source material of the heroes we love wasn't diluted/retooled as it is today. However, time waits on no one and the industry/genre continuously adapts & evolves to reign in new prospective hobbyist. hm

I truly believe the marquee heroes will survive any industry holocaust, whilst the not-so-chic ones will fade to black. The comic book/movie industry Big-Wigs have too much at stake to let them flounder like that, short or longterm. 2c

I wonder if the winning bidder will try having the tape removed. Without the tape (which looks like it might not be "necessary"), you'd have to think it would grade higher. Unless of course the inside is taped up too. One of those cases where I wish CGC would give more detailed info instead of just "tape on cover".

I wonder if the winning bidder will try having the tape removed. Without the tape (which looks like it might not be "necessary"), you'd have to think it would grade higher. Unless of course the inside is taped up too. One of those cases where I wish CGC would give more detailed info instead of just "tape on cover".

(shrug)