• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I AM DAZZLED!! posted by bagofleas

21 posts in this topic

... and stunned!!!

When I decided to start collecting CGC 9.8 copies of Dazzler four or so years ago, Hitman1099 was the top rank of the set. Heck, he was the top rank in a boatload of sets!!

Two years later, I finally managed to pass Hitman1099 for the top spot in the Dazzler set. I can only surmise that this caused him to go ahead and try to sell off his issues to move on to other collecting interests, because it was not long after when he put all of his 9.8 Dazzlers up for sale on Ebay, including the only 9.8 copy of #42!!!

I could not believe it and did not hesitate to snap it right up along with a bunch of the other copies that I did not have yet! This one purchase spree launched me farther into first place and I have not looked back since.

As I write this journal, my 9.8 copy of Dazzler #42 is STILL the only 9.8 copy! The fact that it is the last issue with a low print run and a jet black background on the cover is probably to blame for this.

Up until this past week, I was down to the last nine issues to complete my set. This past week I was astounded to find out that HA had not one, but THREE of the issues I needed going off this past Sunday!!

And ironically, the one issue I was sure would be the last one I would ever get in 9.8 was one of them!

If #42 is hard because of its partially jet black cover, then #21 would be nearly impossible!! It has a photo cover of a model named June MacDonald. She is dressed up as Dazzler and standing in pitch blackness with her hands held up and two bright lights shining out from behind her hands (see below).

This cover has a completely jet black background all the way around the cover edges! Talk about difficult! I figured I would be the luckiest guy alive to ever see a copy in 9.8 for sale or auction anywhere.

I fell out of my chair when I saw it! Then, after pulling myself back up into the chair, I realized that there were two other copies I also needed going off on the same day!

After pulling myself back into my chair a second time, I vowed to get them at all cost. Well, maybe not ALL cost, but I would try my best.

They did cost more than I planned on, but I could not be happier!! I am now down to needing only six issues to complete my set!!

On top of all this, I have begun to get my copies signed! My #1 is signed by Tom DeFalco and Louise Simonson! My #2-6 are all signed by Tom DeFalco and 19 signed by Bob Wiacek and 34 and 36 signed by Geof Isherwood!

I will taking some copies with me to Megacon for Bill Sienkiewicz and some to Supercon for Danny Fingeroth and Tom DeFalco to sign later this year. This should help cement my first place ranking even if someone were to come along and also manage to collect them all.

In fact, HarrisonJohn is currently in the number two spot and apparently has designs to ultimately collect them all in 9.8 as well. I wish him all the best in his endeavor. I know from personal experience that this is a hard goal to accomplish. I have been at it for over four years and have not finished yet!

14989.jpg

See more journals by bagofleas

Wow that truly is an amazing cover but the question I guess should be asked. Do you dare crack it? I mean it would look amazing with either a Silver or Gold Signature... but do you dare knowing how hard it is to find something like this with its perfect cover?

Good luck and I guess now I am going to head over to your Set to peruse your wares.

Looks like the challenge has been Set??? Anyways love the covers, but have to say that #28 has always been one of my favorites. Something about Bill Sienkiewicz's art has always been catching to my eye and cannot wait to see the Set built and what you have to offer there.

Awesome! Now you gotta bust out the Disco suit and start the celebration!

It would be equally nice if you could add a pic of 42 to my "OAK Room" thread "First to the 1st".

Congrats on being Number 1!

SW3D

I wouldn't dream of cracking the 21 unless I could manage to obtain an insurance copy.

This is the same reason I haven't gotten the 42 signed. I could have had it signed by Romeo Tanghal at SDCC last year, but just couldn't risk it due to its OAK-ness.

Congratulations on you recent score at HA. Nothing like getting multiple issues in one auction for a set that you have been working on for years, where most issues are hard to find!

I like the cover to #21, unique. The cover reminds me of Amazing Spider-Man #262 (3/85), a similar style photo cover, with a guy in a Spider-Man costume. I wonder f Marvel did other covers in this style in the '80s.

I love cover themes! :luhv:

Although this one, less so. World's first Photoshop fail? Are these the Macy's parade balloons?

672109.jpg

That's DarkroomShop, right there.

Here's one from 1991 by the same photographer from the 1983 Marvel Team-Up. Better, but still not great.

So this is the same photographer who took the Amazing Spider-man 262. I Googled him. Eliot R. Brown Turns out, he's a technical artist who also drew a lot of the Iron Manual, Punisher Armory, etc. Oddly, I didn't see any of his photography on his website. Comics can be a funny world.

775349.jpg

I have to say I've never really been a fan of the old photo covers. Most look terrible. I just always remember seeing the ASM(I forget which issue) with Spider-man from the tv show taking off his mask. I think the Dazzler one posted by BOF is actually one of the better ones.