• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A First for some Firsts

7 posts in this topic

Or when less becomes more

Its been a while since I've done a journal. So for my first one of the new year I have some new acquisitions to share. First off I acquired these because back in the end of November I listed my Batman Adventures 12 9.4 and Detective Comics 1 9.8 for sale on Ebay.

For those who don't know Batman Adventures 12 is the first comic book appearance of Harley Quinn. It's a book based on the Batman cartoon many of us grew up with, myself included, in the 90's. If you've been following this book at all lately, for whatever reason its prices have continued on a steep increase. Theres a thread here on it.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7097482&fpart=1

I purchased mine raw last spring for about $60 listed in NM conditon, which it obviously was as it came back from CGC in a 9.4. But seeing the prices even lower mint grades such as mine were going for I couldn't pass it up. I also noticed that some of the New 52 issue #1's were going for decent money so I listed my Detective #1, which I purchased new off the rack and had graded a while ago.

Well my BA 12 went for $223 and my Detective went for $102. Since then I've been debating on what to get. I wanted to get some first appearances of some decent characters in a decent grade. But I've also been following some of K-Mans exploits when it comes to sketch covers and I think I've developed that itch now. I'm really hoping to actually take part in a sketch opp and have something actually made for me vice purchasing something already done.

In the end I started off by purchasing another raw copy of Uncanny X-men 221 in NM condition. This is the first appearance of Mr. Sinister, a character I've loved since first seeing him in the 90's cartoon. Eventually I'll send this to be pressed and graded and will probably share the outcome with you all.

The next book I purchased was my first sketch cover. It's an Avengers 1 (2010) with the cover sketched and signed by Freddie WIlliams II. The sketch is an extremely impressive Thor cover that looks even better in person.

The last 2 books I got were some good Copper age first appearances. First was Avengers Annual 10 in a 9.6. This is the first appearance of Rogue and Madelyn Pryor. The next book was Thor 337 in 9.6 which is the first Beta Ray Bill.

I do wish I could've got these in a 9.8, but as has been discussed here numerous times, I think we focus on that magical number too much. It would've also prevented me from getting any other books due to the price those go for. In the end I'm happy with these and they look great on my wall. I can't wait to start jumping into these sketch ops and having some art done at my request.DSCN2703_zps13de0cba.jpgDSCN2702_zpsc10e6f74.jpgDSCN2701_zps57a75e25.jpg

Good luck with the sketches. I too grew up with the Batman and X-Men toons from the early 90's. I remember Mr. Sinister and his manipulation of Morph. I have yet to read the Inferno storyline and have always been curious.

I remember coming across several Batman Adventures comics form various collector's packs from places like Sam's and Toys "R" Us in the 90's. I never took those books seriously and gave most of them away. I wonder if BA #12 was ever one of the books I might have had.

Very nice pickup's Brother M! I especially like the Avengers Annual #10. This is one copper key I somehow missed back in my childhood collecting days. I'm kicking myself for that. And I don't understand how that happend because I collected the Avengers from issues 189 to 263. Oh well.

Congrats on your sales! I didn't watch the Batman Animated series in the 90's but I understand it is high regarded. I'm going to search on YouTube to watch Harley's first appearance.

All the best,

SW3D

An set of pick-ups. Looking forward to getting my AA #10 signed by Golden soon but until then will continue to covet this one as the start of an amazing character. As for the Thor book I'm actuallyu hoping the Mouse Factory finds a way to bring out this character in the next Thor film. I think he and the story that follows would be a really amazing addition. Then your pick-up of Uncanny X-Men 221 is one of my favorites. Hoping the one I purchased a few months ago stands the test of time and can come out in 9.6 - 9.8 with a Silvestri sig on it. I would like to start picking up some 80's 90's keys this year if possible but the Sketch bug has me.

So on to your final acquisition and future endeavors. Congrat's on an amazing sketch pick-up from Freddie. Hoping to get something from him one day to add to the collection as well. I do have to say it is really addicting but when you see them in hand after the personal touches or requests you make its amazing to know that this one book was made specifically to you.

Congrat's and cannot wait to see more this year. Maybe a Sinister sketch :baiting:

A Sinister sketch would rule. I wish I had asked for the sketch I got. But it was already done and I picked up from dscotts ebay store. I can't wait to jump in one. Thanks for all the info you PMed me K-Man. I'm anxiously awaiting a good opp to open and hope I have the funds to jump in it.

Dude a Crain Sinister would be wicked sweet to see... just saying, but even if you do decide to go with another I am sure no choice is really ever the wrong choice... except for maybe Impossible Man... that guy sucked.

Doug/dscott is one of the good ones and many times will certainly hear you out on any ideas by any creators and will usually give you a great quoted price. Wrote about him and Aaron Alj007 a while ago following NYCC and there amazing help then. Add in Jun, Force Majuere, and a few others and the Signature Series forum is the place to find some amazing assistance in getting some art.

Cannot wait to see what you get and yeah, always waiting on some amazing opps, all of which should be coming soon with Con season starting up.