• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,235 posts in this topic

On 5/25/2023 at 9:19 PM, Warlord said:

I've started checking out this thread lately, seeing lots of great books, many of which I'd like to have but they seem very hard to find in the wild.  I'll have to share a few that I have.  Most are in the SF genre, but I've dabbled much more widely when I found the right book at the right price.  :headbang:

Here's a recent pickup.

PXL_20230516_172529108.jpg.595e95dcf3c5fe45b43014c89ed8ee22.jpg

Hey!  Nice Maguire!  I neither have that book or knew about it.  Now on my list!  (thumbsu

On 5/25/2023 at 7:15 PM, davet75 said:

Brief interlude: Pulp market is officially bonkers.  Granted the ebay copy had a detached cover... but still... :insane:

Railroad.thumb.jpg.c1230d442ceceb7a77be7063a675b66e.jpg

ebayrailroad.jpg.b2383ce615de86f74488000e0a3b3ded.jpg

Another example:

image.thumb.png.519725fee0fc16e970f6c3acbd041e74.png

Definitely a cool cover but I'm sure with a little time you can find a very similar copy for a fraction of the price.

image.thumb.png.ee945462a0b413fa21bad866423f4aa6.png

While Pulps overall have increased in price, whatever Heritage is up to is borderline insane. I wonder what they're up to over there...

Edited by manetteska

On 5/26/2023 at 11:12 AM, manetteska said:

While Pulps overall have increased in price, whatever Heritage is up to is borderline insane. I wonder what they're up to over there...

There appears to be a lot of new pulp buyers leaping into the fray that have no real background knowledge of the market.  1940s Weird Tales issues are quite common.

On 5/26/2023 at 1:48 PM, Bookery said:
On 5/26/2023 at 10:12 AM, manetteska said:

There appears to be a lot of new pulp buyers leaping into the fray that have no real background knowledge of the market.  1940s Weird Tales issues are quite common.

I agree with new Pulp buyers.

From a strictly Heritage perspective, I am routinely amazed their pool of bidders (and not just Pulps) somehow don't seem to know eBay or MCS (or a venue other than Heritage) exist.

And these sales usually set a benchmark for other sellers for a price which cannot be achieved yet are now the "going rate". Not to mention from a seller perspective, of that $1000 sale you really are getting $750 or so.

On 5/26/2023 at 12:45 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Maguire did a bunch of covers for Jack Webb's hard boiled books at Signet.

Here's a fave that is ridiculously tough to find in high grade for obvious reasons.

20230526_133802.thumb.jpg.a1b022cf85d01db91c9a131fd0cbd855.jpg

Classic book.  I have a number of Maguire Signets but that other one is new to me.  This cover is one of the absolute best Maguire covers of all, IMO.  (thumbsu

On 5/26/2023 at 3:50 PM, GACollectibles said:

Couldn't pass this up today, about 400 pieces with many Ace Doubles, Avons, and a box of mostly sci-fi digests with copy of Fate #1

IMG_7063.jpeg

What a treasure trove!  I was excited to see Revolt of the Triffids.  The Day of the Triffids was a childhood favorite so I had to check into this to understand if this was something else.  Apparently Revolt is just a title change.  However, I did learn that there is a Night of the Triffids book that says it picks up the story 21 years later.  :takeit:

On 8/21/2022 at 2:49 PM, GACollectibles said:

The filter settings have been changed.

MR. Grayson, MR. Powell, MR. York, MR. Sargent, MR. Van Dyke, MR. Sprang, MR. Miller, MR. Clark, MR. Friend, MR. Bookery Sr

Hypothetically, what if I am a MR. .... will that extend to me as well ? GOD BLESS.... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 5/26/2023 at 10:27 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Great teaser! What's under those top books 🤔 🤘👏👏👏

Ace Doubles, a few nice Bradbury books, other Avons under 200, GGA, some other stuff I haven't even looked at, plus some junk.

The 1984 is a 1st Printing! :banana:

On 5/27/2023 at 4:10 AM, jimjum12 said:

Hypothetically, what if I am a MR. .... will that extend to me as well ? GOD BLESS.... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

MR. jimjum12, it has a nice ring to it.

On 5/27/2023 at 7:49 AM, GACollectibles said:

MR. jimjum12, it has a nice ring to it.

It has become very apparent to me lately because of all the Philip K. MR. books I've sold in my sales thread. Imagine, one of the greatest Science Fiction Authors is "he whose last name cannot be mentioned" :facepalm: