• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,145 posts in this topic

On 5/2/2023 at 5:47 PM, OtherEric said:

An odd question:  Is anybody aware of a good bookshelf for displaying paperbacks?  I'm starting to think I may be better off just getting some boards and building one myself than trying to find one, or I'm totally incompetent trying to figure out search terms. 

Funny, we're going to Ikea this weekend to pick out a bookcase/shelving system for my Comic Room renovation (the main reason much of my stuff is largely not accessibe at the moment). They have lots of different combinations, many with glass doors and lighting devices. I hope to get a full wall of shelves for displaying :luhv:

Definitely look at Ikea shelving solutions. Their delivery fees aren't bad if you don't have one near you.

On 5/2/2023 at 2:53 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Funny, we're going to Ikea this weekend to pick out a bookcase/shelving system for my Comic Room renovation (the main reason much of my stuff is largely not accessibe at the moment). They have lots of different combinations, many with glass doors and lighting devices. I hope to get a full wall of shelves for displaying :luhv:

Definitely look at Ikea shelving solutions. Their delivery fees aren't bad if you don't have one near you.

Let me know if you spot something good.  Most bookshelves are just way too deep to be optimal for paperbacks, and since I'm in an apartment I don't want to build permanent shelves.

On 5/4/2023 at 12:34 AM, damonwad said:

I picked one up at Ikea a year or so ago that I'm happy with. I think it's called a "Billy" and it's a little over 6'-0 high with glass doors. I just took a couple pics of it with the right door open (because of glare). A couple shelves are set in place but I bought 2 (I think) extra shelves and was able to space them out to be able to get 8 rows of pb's. I counted one row and it has 66 in it. The shelves are about 10 1/4" deep.

bookcase-2.thumb.jpg.6de2be5276be0b1c1942f782fb914d08.jpg

Bookcase-1.thumb.jpg.f8898b56e586f50c0a7ba9095453dfc1.jpg

Outstanding display! And your collection has grown quite a bit from your first shelf pic way back when :)

This is basically where I'm going. I have a set of Billy cases with mixed solid and glass doors in our living room and I keep my Peanuts PB collections and my meager Arkham and other Specialty press collections in there, but it's mostly for art objects from our travels and curios like my father's stripes from WWII.

For the comic room I am going with a deeper Ikea shelf system that will allow the double layers of pb's (those are double layers right?) but also deep enough to house my LP record collection on the bottom shelves behind solid doors. On the uppers with the glass doors I plan to layer them like you have here but they are deep enough that I'll be able to turn some around front for display through the glass. The design is all in my imagination still right now but it should happen in the next month or so.

On 5/4/2023 at 12:37 AM, OtherEric said:

If nothing else, I can probably use the "buy extra shelves" idea once I find an otherwise suitable bookcase.

If you're looking for shallow bookshelves, look for "Media Storage" products rather than book shelves, as there are many products out there for CD's and other media with that  kind of label that are only 7 or 8 inches deep if you want a space saver that could hold a single layer of pbs.

On 5/4/2023 at 7:25 AM, Surfing Alien said:

Outstanding display! And your collection has grown quite a bit from your first shelf pic way back when :)

This is basically where I'm going. I have a set of Billy cases with mixed solid and glass doors in our living room and I keep my Peanuts PB collections and my meager Arkham and other Specialty press collections in there, but it's mostly for art objects from our travels and curios like my father's stripes from WWII.

For the comic room I am going with a deeper Ikea shelf system that will allow the double layers of pb's (those are double layers right?) but also deep enough to house my LP record collection on the bottom shelves behind solid doors. On the uppers with the glass doors I plan to layer them like you have here but they are deep enough that I'll be able to turn some around front for display through the glass. The design is all in my imagination still right now but it should happen in the next month or so.

Thanks. These are only single layer. I have another 50 or so books to add when I get the time but still have plenty of space on these shelves with my small collection . You, and most of the others that post here, obviously need much more shelf space. Looking forward to seeing what you end up with.

On 5/3/2023 at 11:34 PM, damonwad said:

I picked one up at Ikea a year or so ago that I'm happy with. I think it's called a "Billy" and it's a little over 6'-0 high with glass doors. I just took a couple pics of it with the right door open (because of glare). A couple shelves are set in place but I bought 2 (I think) extra shelves and was able to space them out to be able to get 8 rows of pb's. I counted one row and it has 66 in it. The shelves are about 10 1/4" deep.

bookcase-2.thumb.jpg.6de2be5276be0b1c1942f782fb914d08.jpg

Bookcase-1.thumb.jpg.f8898b56e586f50c0a7ba9095453dfc1.jpg

Man that looks great!

I dislike Ikea because it's so generic, but who can afford to pay $2,000+ for a well-made bookcase with glass doors? Not me. 

I saw somebody on YouTube who bought a house with a long row of glass bookcases built into the wall. The person selling the house apologized to the buyer, saying that they could redo the wall if the buyer wanted, since the seller could not imagine a new buyer wanting the bookcases. The buyer acted real resigned and said something like, leave them in, we might be able to use them for something. Acted disappointed. Inside, the buyer was absolutely elated, since his wife was a bibliophile with tons of books. 

On 5/4/2023 at 8:27 AM, PopKulture said:

I see I’m not the only Boardie with Victorian-era magazines.

Amazing, focused collection, by the way.  :cloud9:

Right?  There's a kind of discipline there that I absolutely don't have.  @damonwad is a precision collector whereas I'm like a dog in a meadow, running back and forth to the next thing.  It's impressive to see.  :headbang:

On 5/4/2023 at 2:51 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Right?  There's a kind of discipline there that I absolutely don't have.  @damonwad is a precision collector whereas I'm like a dog in a meadow, running back and forth to the next thing.  It's impressive to see.  :headbang:

Luckily, I have 5 or 6 other collecting interests to keep me busy, or I'd definitely have the "dog in the meadow" approach. There are just so many cool pb's out there.

I also didn't mind my snails pace since I originally planned to read a copy of every book I bought, but that plan's been shot to hell. Was introduced to some great authors though.