• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,145 posts in this topic

On 5/14/2023 at 3:00 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Have you tried this program? I've been looking for a cataloging program but am hesitant to pay for one unless it has all the capabilities I'd want

I have tried it.  It's pretty good, but definitely not perfect.  Biggest issue is inability to categorize by publisher plus not many vintage paperbacks are going to be listed.  But $30 seemed worth it to have input, if nothing else.

On 5/14/2023 at 8:24 PM, moonpool said:

I have tried it.  It's pretty good, but definitely not perfect.  Biggest issue is inability to categorize by publisher plus not many vintage paperbacks are going to be listed.  But $30 seemed worth it to have input, if nothing else.

I use ComicBase for all my comics. It does have categories for books, magazines, and newspapers but I'm not sure what is in their library in these categories. There are options to add anything. I'd look into it as is a really cool application. 

https://comicbase.com/mycb/default.aspx

On 5/14/2023 at 8:24 PM, moonpool said:

I joined the free trial, will check it out. It does look like you can sort by publisher though, maybe an update? That would be essential for my purposes.

On 5/15/2023 at 7:53 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Just got in this minty copy of Lover Boy by Eric Rhodes Hayden. Readers Choice Library No 39. Cover art by Willard Downes. A tough little series. 

20230515_143009.thumb.jpg.1951629fae6fc35ccc891c294e13cbce.jpg

Also a fresh looking Girl-Hungry by William E. Gordon. Carnival No. 908. Cover art by Rudy Nappi.

20230515_143424.thumb.jpg.e6525db3e20ac6068033a2ba83577a1f.jpg

My S9+ was dying so I finally entered 2021 with a new S21 Ultra 😁. The camera quality is so far beyond my old phone. It captures the moire patterns that I used to only get with a scanner.

A world better in color and detail and much faster.

Awesome digests, SA!  Getting harder and harder to find these in really nice shape.  :applause:

On 5/15/2023 at 9:42 PM, BitterOldMan said:

As soon as I saw this book I thought of our much respected forum memberIMG_2191.thumb.jpeg.8c74f0b6784b2f7bc11d777a3779c3f0.jpeg @moonpool

One of the Hall Of Fame-type Avon Sci-Fi covers. 

Very Raymond Johnson-ish but our panel wouldn't put it down 100% to him for the checklist because Robert Crowl's bunch of paintings for Avon were so similar to Johnson's, no doubt by design.

On 5/15/2023 at 8:46 PM, Surfing Alien said:

I joined the free trial, will check it out. It does look like you can sort by publisher though, maybe an update? That would be essential for my purposes.

You're right. First response was no, second response was yes.