• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,196 posts in this topic

On 10/17/2023 at 10:18 AM, Darwination said:

My wife says she got Dr. Who in the afternoons on PBS in western Kansas in the 80s.  I got it on Friday nights only from KC, but they were good Friday nights :)

Giant salt shakers, horrifying.

It's really hard to explain just why giant salt shakers are so terrifying until you see them in action.  But they are.

My local station (KBTC) is currently in the middle of Invasion of the Dinosaurs on their rerun schedule, they're believed to be the only channel in the world that has kept continually running the classic series since the 90's.  (And their predecessor has been showing it since the 80s').

On 10/16/2023 at 6:10 PM, Sarg said:

The Fountainhead Signet PB is "rare"? That's surprising. It was a well-publicized best-seller in hardcover, so you'd normally assume that the paperback would be pretty common. I guess the size and cost (three times more expensive than a regular 25 cent PB) turned buyers off.

Not rare at all in general, in fact, the all-font covered later printings are pretty common as to be expected from a best seller, but the 1st printing with the full sized Avati painted cover very much so. It took me a couple of years to find this one and it is far from perfect. I gave up trying to upgrade it.

I think fat books, especially densely worded ones like this, took quite a few sittings to get through and suffered from more cover wear than a skinny volume that got devoured in one or two sittings.

On 10/20/2023 at 10:57 PM, Pat Calhoun said:

This recent buy was somewhat expensive, but it really is an extravagant PB. Beyond delicious iconic cover and illustrated with many full-pagers and many partials. I'm guessing the William Gropper interiors came with the hardback first edition.

roadshow.jpg

CIMG4093.JPG

roadshow1.jpg

Now I need that. Would look great next to the Signet "Nightmare Alley" :)

On 10/21/2023 at 10:36 AM, Surfing Alien said:

Going through some Lion Books. If there's one series I might try to be a completist on, it's the Lions. Considering the relative rarity, and with so many classic PBO's and the great cover art by Martin Goodman's artists from his pulp/MAM stable. They're pretty irresistible.

20231018_142040.thumb.jpg.5b4568a5c35fa7117839548e5d5a03ea.jpg

First of all:  :cloud9::x:cloud9::x:cloud9:

Secondly:  Did you cut your own backing boards?? I’ve done that for a few books, but so often, the back covers are worth keeping visible.  As my previous post above suggests, I’ve been playing with my Ballantines as well as later Bantams and so many of them have great back covers and wraparound art. I do, however, understand the collector’s first directive to protect the books, especially the minty ones.  :takeit:

On 10/21/2023 at 5:47 AM, frozentundraguy said:

I recently bought "Tomboy" by Hal Ellson. Published in 1951 the JD topic proved too irresistible for Dr. Frederic Wertham. He writes a glowing review for the book but also fires a brief volley at comic books.

image.jpeg.dc0969fea78bd9745e29cf50df2afc68.jpeg

I also have "Duke" and "Jailbait Street" with a cover by Ray Johnson is my fav of these three books.

image.jpeg.98db8b7afae7cf477d4f77b2ceff5b51.jpeg

image.jpeg.95c7248cd6d81ba71dafacb3c677e18b.jpeg

How many of you depraved individuals own these sick books?  :devil:

IMG_7599.jpeg

IMG_7600.jpeg

IMG_7601.jpeg

IMG_7602.jpeg