• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,462 posts in this topic

On 6/15/2024 at 9:23 AM, BitterOldMan said:

Have both.  Posted last year.  Have to buy when available, otherwise you snooze you lose.☹️ Found the book on the left at my favorite bookstore in the known universe, Kayo Books.

IMG_3771.thumb.jpeg.30cbea27908384c5eb1c9ee31c0892d9.jpeg

Same cover, different author. Interesting.

Same cover, different books is what I'm seeing.  Doug Weaver art. Jan Hudson was a pseudonym of George H. Smith.  I'd guess Fred Haley is a pseudonym, too :banana:

I've been pretty amazed at how fiercely the lesbian books are collected.  Outside of PBOs by big authors and some other "key" sort of books, nothing else seems to command the prices that sleaze in its many flavors does.

Amazing how often a whip is involved on the lez titles, too.  I get that submission and domination is some sort of curiosity in the relationship dynamics to the rubes that are picking these up off the newsstand (or from behind the counter), but does the boss lady really need a  bullwhip? :roflmao: I need to read some of them for a little better insight :whistle:

Edited by Darwination

On 6/15/2024 at 10:23 AM, BitterOldMan said:

Have both.  Posted last year.  Have to buy when available, otherwise you snooze you lose.☹️ Found the book on the left at my favorite bookstore in the known universe, Kayo Books.

IMG_3771.thumb.jpeg.30cbea27908384c5eb1c9ee31c0892d9.jpeg

These are both extremely rare.  Nice books, sir!

I've always found fascinating what people collected in previous generations, to see and compare what was popular and what still is, using value as an indicator for demand.  If anyone else finds this interesting, here is a list of some of the most valuable paperbacks in a 1980 paperback price guide by Kevin Hancer.  Here is a sampling of books that were listed at $40 or more in top condition.

Spoiler

Ace

1 The Grinning Gizmo ($100)

13 The Judas Goat

15 Junkie ($100)

26 Love in a Junk/The Impotent General

36 Conan the Conquerer

Armed Services Editions

M 16 Tarzan of the Apes

O 22 Return of Tarzan of the Apes

656 Adventures of Superman

730 The Dunwich Horror

Avon 

NN (1) Elmer Gentry

NN (3) The Big Four

NN (26) Seven Footprints to Satan

NN (27) The Avon Book of Puzzles

NN (38) The Big Sleep

43 Burn Witch Burn

117 Creep Shadow Creep

136 The Lurking Fear

184 The Girl with the Hungry Eyes

189 The Daughter of Fu Manchu

195 Out of the Silent Planet

214 The Fox Woman and Other Stories

216 Gladiator

235 Seven Footprints to Satan

281 Into Plutonian Depths

298 House of Fury (Reform School Girl)

315 The Metal Monster

324 The Ship of Ishtar

339 The Terror of the Leopard Men

370 The Moon Patrol

376 Home to Harlem

392 Burn Witch Burn

430 House of Fury

Avon Fantasy Novels

2 The Green Girl

Bantam Books

143 The She Wolf

Bantam Books (Los Angeles)

1 The Red Threads

1 The Spanish Cape Mystery

9 Enter the G Men

14 The Lone Ranger and Secret of Thunder Mountain

20240615_170726.thumb.jpg.a385dac175dada52432df73e9640074b.jpg

Got lazy, several in a row here. 

Bart House 

4 Weird Shadow of Innsmouth

6 Rebirth

12 The Dunwich Horror

Edited by waaaghboss

On 6/15/2024 at 11:22 PM, Darwination said:

A recommendation from @Randall Dowling, a meta one at that knowing my love for the magazine industry and apparently sleaze

From Door to Door - Orrie Hitt (1960.Beacon 304) cover Frank Upwall PBO

FromDoortoDoor-OrrieHitt(1960.Beacon304)coverFrankUpwallPBO.thumb.jpg.68a26bdf5a439d208701239e163e94b5.jpg

FromDoortoDoor-OrrieHitt(1960.Beacon304)rearcover.thumb.jpg.e22300873bb4273ab499d5c06d29d68f.jpg

I haven't read it yet, but it sounds vaguely (very) along the lines of American Honey (2016)

I always thought that was Howell Dodd art.  Some of his faster, looser work looks like that.  But I've been wrong many, many times before.  Uppwall's work looked more refined to me (not mine, taken from internet).  In any case, I love the cover.  (thumbsu

tumblr_n7kx7x8nRf1r18mzfo1_1280.thumb.jpg.b79adc8aedecb0cfc416b5d156fef8c2.jpg

On 6/16/2024 at 12:01 AM, Randall Dowling said:

I always thought that was Howell Dodd art.  Some of his faster, looser work looks like that.  But I've been wrong many, many times before.  Uppwall's work looked more refined to me (not mine, taken from internet).  In any case, I love the cover.  (thumbsu

tumblr_n7kx7x8nRf1r18mzfo1_1280.thumb.jpg.b79adc8aedecb0cfc416b5d156fef8c2.jpg

The chick looks Dodd-esque to me but the dude not so much, but Howell does have a lot of Beacons in that period. Still, Upwall was working for Universal Publishing at the time as well.  Paperback Steve's ID.  He, too, has been wrong before (shrug)

On 6/15/2024 at 7:43 PM, jimjum12 said:

Love some westerns. I used to watch Gunsmoke, Bonanza, High Chaparral, and many more with my Grandpa. I was his favorite Grandson. One day, it occured to me that I was his ONLY grandson :bigsmile: I had a job in the 90's where I got off at 1430 p.m. and caught many a western on TCM ... Ted Turner will always be in high esteem for preserving so many of those treasures, immortalizing many a Saturday afternoon matinee. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

@Hap Hazard has been selling off much of his PB collection, and I've been hustling to sell some of my old collection to pick up some of his, and his grading and pricing have been very fair. :foryou:

PB459.jpg

Yeah, he has and I was late to that party. Who is buying my Sirens of Titan?!:frustrated: I am picking up quite a few though.

On 6/15/2024 at 10:22 PM, Darwination said:

A recommendation from @Randall Dowling, a meta one at that knowing my love for the magazine industry and apparently sleaze

From Door to Door - Orrie Hitt (1960.Beacon 304) cover Frank Upwall PBO

FromDoortoDoor-OrrieHitt(1960.Beacon304)coverFrankUpwallPBO.thumb.jpg.68a26bdf5a439d208701239e163e94b5.jpg

FromDoortoDoor-OrrieHitt(1960.Beacon304)rearcover.thumb.jpg.e22300873bb4273ab499d5c06d29d68f.jpg

I haven't read it yet, but it sounds vaguely (very) along the lines of American Honey (2016)

I am a big fan of Garter covers! Someone should bring that look back.

On 6/16/2024 at 9:59 AM, johnenock said:

Yeah, he has and I was late to that party. Who is buying my Sirens of Titan?!:frustrated: I am picking up quite a few though.

I decided to just make an offer on a group, if he felt they were solid Fine or better, and he graded them, priced them, and even kicked out a discount. I was going for lots of one to two dozen, but I'm running out of stuff to sell now :tonofbricks: He still has tons left. He's been a participating boardie for years ... first class guy. I'm kind of at a disadvantage, as I have to wait and see what I want. I'm too much of a green horn to have much of a wantlist. One thing I like about PB's, most of the scarce stuff still shows up at least a couple times a year, at hundreds rather than thousands, so little fish like me still have a shot. GOD BLESS ...

-jjimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu