• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
26 26

8,024 posts in this topic

On 7/6/2024 at 3:11 PM, OtherEric said:

In today.  I'm not saying it's the weirdest thing John D. MacDonald ever did, but... wait, scratch that.  Even without having read it yet, I'm prepared to say it's the weirdest thing JDM ever did:

I Could Go On Singing.jpg

My 5 year old daughter watched The Wizard of Oz for the 1st time Thursday. Loved it, but kids still get scared at the part with the flying monkeys!

On 7/6/2024 at 10:27 AM, Darwination said:

Screenshot(152).png.17a9298e0d11d0f42433

SpineTic posted this UK stand on the newsstand thread.  I wonder if the pb hawks can pick out what I'm assuming are Janson/Heades at the far right?

We've all got the things we can pick out first on these stands and sadly the image resolution makes pbs trickier than mags and comics - I see Flirt April 1950 and Beauty Parade March 1950 for a time marker.

The best thing on there is the folk art Mickey Rat ooohing for a 3 pence "guaranteed pure" ice cream lolly :drool:

Posted (edited)
On 7/6/2024 at 12:11 PM, OtherEric said:

In today.  I'm not saying it's the weirdest thing John D. MacDonald ever did, but... wait, scratch that.  Even without having read it yet, I'm prepared to say it's the weirdest thing JDM ever did:

I Could Go On Singing.jpg

There's the Book about his cat/cats! THE HOUSE GUESTS...

Edited by Book Guy

On 7/6/2024 at 3:58 PM, Book Guy said:

There's the Book about his cat/cats! THE HOUSE GUESTS...

I've got a reprint of that one.  He also did a book of his letters with Dan Rowan of Laugh-In that I don't have.

I never claimed there wasn't competition for his weirdest book.  I'm just saying I think this one wins.

On 7/6/2024 at 3:21 PM, OtherEric said:

I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say seeing The Wizard of Oz for the first time changed my life.  I loved it, as kids do, and asked my parents if there was any more.  They said there were no other movies (not actually true, but they didn't know otherwise and nothing else was available at that point), but there were lots of books and we could go to the library the next day.  I really point to that where my love of books and of fantasy in particular started.

IMG_2631.jpeg

Awesome! I'll show her!

On 6/15/2024 at 4:58 PM, BitterOldMan said:

My favorite!😂

IMG_3773.jpeg.f09bebef093eccf2a5f320d8379fd78d.jpeg

I actually identified and tracked down this issue so I can work with this lover's quarrel image (the back cover).  It's amazing that there seemed to be copies available of any given week.  Sadly, Google Translate didn't seem to convey my hope that the paper remain unfolded in transit.  Or maybe the Italian seller just thought I was a crazy American to make such a request regarding such basura :roflmao:

Printed on a shiny sort of newsprint, an interesting pub to say the least.  Six bucks for the issue, Twenty plus to get it to the states. Worth every penny even with the fold and middling PQ.  It looks like Molino did both the front and back covers every week.

Image_00001.thumb.jpg.45bcf277f6e6bc8727446849fa67b355.jpg

On 7/7/2024 at 10:02 PM, Darwination said:

I actually identified and tracked down this issue so I can work with this lover's quarrel image (the back cover).  It's amazing that there seemed to be copies available of any given week.  Sadly, Google Translate didn't seem to convey my hope that the paper remain unfolded in transit.  Or maybe the Italian seller just thought I was a crazy American to make such a request regarding such basura :roflmao:

Printed on a shiny sort of newsprint, an interesting pub to say the least.  Six bucks for the issue, Twenty plus to get it to the states. Worth every penny even with the fold and middling PQ.  It looks like Molino did both the front and back covers every week.

Image_00001.thumb.jpg.45bcf277f6e6bc8727446849fa67b355.jpg

Your Google Fu is most impressive.IMG_3978.jpeg.e73857c3ef91a145f1be6e3ec8926be7.jpeg

Grazie Mille!

On 7/10/2024 at 12:59 PM, Dr. Love said:

a few paperbacks slabbed in May 2023 in this week's HA

LOVE the back cover combo spine shot

don't love how HA is listing the paperbacks.  They'll feed a digest title (specifically Picture Digest from '56) into the pulp section by alpha, but the paperbacks are listed in the main body of comics books by title alpha.  They should run with the pulps/digests. imho

2024-07-10_093716.jpg.3cb62e2b1c1c70d8d758def692efb522.jpg

2024-07-10_093756.jpg.eab8970c86bce79404d92e6d8b5674b6.jpg

2024-07-10_100059.jpg.ffd0cd8a88debf5c9a8e867dcc4fc08d.jpg

2024-07-10_100738.jpg.da2e257999ad347dc37d8b1712d476ce.jpg

Absolutely, a big Jawohl to listing in Pulps and Digests. With the parallels and actual chronology that exists between Pulps and PB's, it really seems a foregone conclusion. Someone should petition the movers and shakers in CGC Management. GOD BLESS .... 

=jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

All of the stabbed paperbacks shown are listed in Overstreet  and are all comic content, as far as I know.  What they are not is any suggestion that more general paperback slabbing  will start any time soon