• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
26 26

7,904 posts in this topic

On 9/11/2024 at 4:13 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Had to 'Mannup' for this one. I don't believe I've ever seen another signed Cole pb and it's one of his absolute best GGA covers, or cover of any kind imho

20240910_130545.thumb.jpg.778987669456449c867a9c7ecafbaa6a.jpg

20240910_130601.thumb.jpg.8b19ef567067cf16f8d2228ba93b2aeb.jpg

Think I'll go cross post this in the Cole comic thread for kicks.

Hey - you outbid me!  You got a deal, enjoy it!  Congrats!  

On 9/12/2024 at 10:26 PM, OtherEric said:

And a bunch of cheap Dell Mapbacks.  I really am not trying too hard to get the Dells, because I know I need to focus... but inexpensive Mapbacks are just irresistible to me, they're just such an iconic part of paperback history.  A couple of these were thrown in gratis, thank you Lowell!

Dell 133.jpg

Dell 187.jpg

Dell 196.jpg

Dell 272.jpg

Nice scores. I have always loved those. Such striking covers. Still relatively cheap. 

On 9/13/2024 at 12:01 AM, OtherEric said:

Lots of books in today, mostly courtesy of @Surfing Alien's recent sale.  (The D-367 was from elsewhere.)  D-14 doesn't get nearly the attention the D-13 and D-15 do, and Edward De Roo is a writer who seems to mostly languish in obscurity but his handful of books are all in crazy high demand by lovers of JD books.

Ace D 014b.jpg

Vultures on Horseback looks like a George Rozen cover to my eyes. 

On 9/15/2024 at 6:58 PM, Pat Calhoun said:

the Ace index for Vultures credits a Ralph Smith... And here's from D.Saunders site: on Ralph Smith:

His first published assignments were in advertising, but during the late 1930s and early 1940s he sold freelance cover illustrations to pulp magazines, such as Short Stories, Western Aces, Western Story, Western Trails, and Ten Detective Aces.

After the war he and his family moved to Westport Connecticut, where he became involved with the Boy Scouts and illustrated several BSA publications. During the 1950s he illustrated many hunting scenes for the men's adventure magazine, Outdoor Life. Several other pulp artists regularly contributed illustrations to this magazine, such as Walter Baumhofer, Rudy Belarski, Charles DeFeo, Charles Dye, John F. Gould, and William Reusswig. His work for Outdoor Life lead to a contract as a 1953 calendar artist for Brown & Bigelow .

And from Ace site D22 also credited to Smith

D-22.jpg

I think they're wrong, but I'd need to see more of Smith's work.

On 9/16/2024 at 7:15 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Ray Johnson, Robert Maguire & Rafael DeSoto. Three reasons why nice Monarch's get snapped up :cloud9:

20240916_182240.thumb.jpg.286f98a48f55f3780b8dbc422c1a295e.jpg

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0216244/

"This film most likely went into production no later than 1961, as a Monarch Books novelization by Carson Bingham was released that year, which stated the film as the story's source."

On 9/17/2024 at 9:54 AM, johnenock said:

Really like this cover:

Bloody Medallion Telfair.jpeg

Me too. When I first started researching Ray Johnson, these Bill Johnson covers threw me for a loop because the last name of the signature is almost identical to how RJ signed his name but it's definitely a different artist and just a common enough last name.