• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comiclink - January bargains?

70 posts in this topic

ok we are about to kick off with the first auction of the new year and this will be the first time i have bidded in a January auction. Does anyone have any experience in taking part in any auctions taking place in January. I was hoping someone would have started the usual 'post your Comiclink wins' in December because i was 0 from 12 and I was interested to see if antbody managed to win anything as it was the first time i had come away empty handed. Not only did i bid aggresively but someone made a post that auctions in December tend to be weak because of the Xmas holidays and boy i wish that was the case but for me it wasnt. So basically is there anymore bidding this month and hoping to pick up some bargains or does that generally tend not to happen regardless of the month.

ok we are about to kick off with the first auction of the new year and this will be the first time i have bidded in a January auction. Does anyone have any experience in taking part in any auctions taking place in January. I was hoping someone would have started the usual 'post your Comiclink wins' in December because i was 0 from 12 and I was interested to see if antbody managed to win anything as it was the first time i had come away empty handed. Not only did i bid aggresively but someone made a post that auctions in December tend to be weak because of the Xmas holidays and boy i wish that was the case but for me it wasnt. So basically is there anymore bidding this month and hoping to pick up some bargains or does that generally tend not to happen regardless of the month.

Prices seem to be somewhat cyclical. They've been very high the last few auctions, so I think they're still at the high part of the cycle. I think a lot of people pinched pennies for a couple of years and then went a little nuts in 2013. If you're truly hoping for bargains, it might take some patience. I do expect prices to cool off again, but probably not this soon. As far as the December CLink auction goes, I bought three books, which I still haven't received. I had to bid pretty aggressively to get all three. There were some books I would have liked to go after that literally went for twice what I would have been willing to pay, and I'm usually willing to pay well for books I like.

143949.jpg.c80e6ce6dd02100e0ec815d1d155a0ca.jpg

143950.jpg.dc872747bdc8427980c1445ff07ef7af.jpg

143951.jpg.e726d5c88f6220efb5b22597136d4e02.jpg

I hope that's the case but I wouldn't bet on it.

exactly, you know why there are less and less bargains on clink

because there is a thread that gets posted here reminding everyone to

bid, bid, bid prior to these auctions...

I'd rather see these threads after the auction is done and have a few saying

"drat I wish I'd remember that auction ended tonight"

:devil:

I just placed a few hundred $10 bids. Who knows... maybe the power goes out for two weeks and I win the lottery of comic books by default. No, really.

There are a couple of things that interest me this month.

I just placed a few hundred $10 bids. Who knows... maybe the power goes out for two weeks and I win the lottery of comic books by default. No, really.

There are a couple of things that interest me this month.

Yeah, same here.Not a few hundred - but a lot. If CL would move into the 21st century and let us watch items, that would be nice.

The existence of this thread is going to end up costing me money.

Can't someone start posting nonsense and boobies and get it locked?

No kidding. There has been too much good stuff on the boards for about the last month. No way that I need any exterior temptations.

Screw Heritage. Unless you have deep pockets, their fees rape you in the end. I have yet to see, get, a bargain on Heritage. Even if the book sells low, after their fees you're paying top dollar. The seller gets hosed too.

I have been bidding fairly aggressive on CL and lost every auction. I was second highest in at least half a dozen books. Second doesn't count :)

What i find funny is that no one here ever talks about what they are going to bid on :)

Screw Heritage. Unless you have deep pockets, their fees rape you in the end. I have yet to see, get, a bargain on Heritage. Even if the book sells low, after their fees you're paying top dollar. The seller gets hosed too.

Sotheby's is like that with high fees.

I know this guy he sold a painting for $12,000.

As in the buyer paid $12,000 for the painting, but my friend only received a little over $6,000 for it after Sotheby's took their buyers fee cut and seller fees cut! :o

Then after that hose job my friend had to a pay a Capital Gains tax.

My friend was left with about $4000 when all was said and done!

So let`s do the math something sold for $12,000 at a auction house, and my friend only actually received about 1/3 of that money.

I don`t think most folks realize how much those fees can add up to, and why most collectibles are bad bets when selling on a major auction house.

Sotheby's is like that with high fees.

I know this guy he sold a painting for $12,000.

As in the buyer paid $12,000 for the painting, but my friend only received a little over $6,000 for it after Sotheby's took their buyers fee cut and seller fees cut! :o

Then after that hose job my friend had to a pay a Capital Gains tax.

My friend was left with about $4000 when all was said and done!

So let`s do the math something sold for $12,000 at a auction house, and my friend only actually received about 1/3 of that money.

I don`t think most folks realize how much those fees can add up to, and why most collectibles are bad bets when selling on a major auction house.

Did they send him a 1099 for the sale?!?!? Unless he obtained the painting for free, he would need to offset his taxes by what he paid to what he sold.

I bought a FF1 in 7.0 for 17k. It sold on Heritage for 22k. I wound up with 15.5k. I didn't even get a free jug of lube. I'm still waiting for payment. The book and money has been tied up for almost 6-months. I'll never complain about the 2 week lag with shipping from CL ever again. :)

Pedigree, Doug, is the FASTEST shipper out there. I get my books in 3 days from him.

I bid aggressively on the Okajima, but im already passed my limit on that book :( of course the auction does end on my birthday and and I could always sell books here to raise funds....