• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comiclink - January bargains?

70 posts in this topic

The significance of that comic and Pedigree is lost on me too.

Anyone care to explain?

OK Im only answering this cause I JUST had a PM conversation with someone about this exactly and I laid out what made this pedigree so cool (and now my blathering will continue to drive up the price of the book and I'll have even less chance of owning another one)

here's what I said

But to me there's no better pedigree story than the Okajima ped.

1. The Original owner was female. Know how many other peds were collected by females? None that I can think of, especially not in the Golden Age. I look at the books she read, she was reading everything, all sorts of books, and they were all "geared" for boys. No Animal books in collection, only one or two romance (and they were Venus, so not really romance). She read super heroes, war stories, crime everything the boys would be reading. Thats awesome to me.

2. We've all collected during "hard" times. Financial hard times, times where there wasn't a comic shop near by.. .but this girl kept collecting while dealing with INTERNMENT! Now some internment camps weren't too bad. People who worked got day passes to go to their jobs and just had to report back after work (check out, check in), but kids stayed in the camps in almost all instances. So these books were an ABSOLUTE escape for her. And money in many instances was super tight, so the fact that she was able to continue buying books week after week is amazing. Either her father had a very good job, or she was old enough to have some work inside the camp to pay for her hobby. The fact that she kept collecting through all this is amazing to me. Look at the dates she bought books. She'd go back to the Canteen sometimes within a few days of the last visit to pick up another book or two. Did someone work there save her a copy behind the desk? Did she work at the shop, sweeping floors, doing chores to "pay" for the books? Its all a testamant to how much she loved comics, and how important the medium was to her.

3. I love the fact that there are war books in her collection. She's in an internment camp because of the war, but there are copies of Captain America, Fightin' Yank and other "war" comics right there. Some with Cap punching a japanese soldier right there on the cover. Makes me think she maintained her love of country (in some fashion) DESPITE what it was doing to her and her family. Amazing.

4. Camps Guards were not all honorable. Did she have money/books stolen from her when the guards did their random house checks/sweeps? Did she have a place she hid the books away from the house to keep them safe?

5. Families got moved around. Both within the camp (changing houses) and between camps. She has one book that has the unique note of "Camp 3" The idea that she was likely able to relocate during her internment with her collection in hand is amazing that it didnt get tossed along the way. Again, a testament to the importance these books held to her.

6. The code. Her little alphanumeric code makes me want to find all the books throughout the timeline of her internment. I havent found a single book that pre-dated the Internment act. The first ped book, Starting Comics #24, might have been from right when she arrived (it does have the "Okajima" --script that she used to tag her books) but it has no code. The first code I've found is from 2/22/44 with a "2j" and that date is two YEARS after Rosevelt authorized all the Internment (which had already started). What was going on before that point? Where are the books with codes prior to 2j? Is there a 1 series?

There's just so much that adds color and context to this pedigree above all the other ones. I cant think of another pedigree with a better story. It all paints a rich picture of the collector, some of it fabricated in my mind's storytelling attempts to fill the gap for sure, but it is such a compelling pedigree because of it.

enough rambling of mine...

Very interesting. Thanks for posting it.

I'm wondering, though, how much we know and how we know it. The books surfaced in the mid-1990s from the Okijima family (apparently). Do we know whether they said anything about how the books came to be collected?

In the GA thread, someone indicates they searched the internment records at the National Archives and found only a few people by that name in Fresno, CA. One was a female name of about the right age to be a comic buyer.

Is that all we know? We have the family's last name; only one teenager by that name from that city was interned; because some of the books date from the internment period she must have bought them in the camp.

Not questioning anything about the story, just trying to understand how much we actually know. hm

Wow MM that's an amazing story, and I can see why you and other people would love to have some, you even have me wanting to get a hold of some. Do you know what happened to the girl after they got out. I was reading the link, and after all that it doesn't make sense for her to just put them in storage if they meant that much to her?

The Okjima pedigree stretches beyond WWII into the early 50s.

There were approximately 1200 books in the collection that were split between three bidders at the estate sale of the family house.

You co guess based on her age that she collected until she (in all likelihood for the times) got married and the books stayed behind in her family's home.

The golden age forum has an Okajima thread with plenty of links references and so in regarding the pedigree.

The story does require some amount of "filling in the blanks" but nothing has come to light to repute the general story.

There are even a few books in the pedigree with OO markings noting "camp 3" from the internment period.

The significance of that comic and Pedigree is lost on me too.

Anyone care to explain?

OK Im only answering this cause I JUST had a PM conversation with someone about this exactly and I laid out what made this pedigree so cool (and now my blathering will continue to drive up the price of the book and I'll have even less chance of owning another one)

here's what I said

But to me there's no better pedigree story than the Okajima ped.

1. The Original owner was female. Know how many other peds were collected by females? None that I can think of, especially not in the Golden Age. I look at the books she read, she was reading everything, all sorts of books, and they were all "geared" for boys. No Animal books in collection, only one or two romance (and they were Venus, so not really romance). She read super heroes, war stories, crime everything the boys would be reading. Thats awesome to me.

2. We've all collected during "hard" times. Financial hard times, times where there wasn't a comic shop near by.. .but this girl kept collecting while dealing with INTERNMENT! Now some internment camps weren't too bad. People who worked got day passes to go to their jobs and just had to report back after work (check out, check in), but kids stayed in the camps in almost all instances. So these books were an ABSOLUTE escape for her. And money in many instances was super tight, so the fact that she was able to continue buying books week after week is amazing. Either her father had a very good job, or she was old enough to have some work inside the camp to pay for her hobby. The fact that she kept collecting through all this is amazing to me. Look at the dates she bought books. She'd go back to the Canteen sometimes within a few days of the last visit to pick up another book or two. Did someone work there save her a copy behind the desk? Did she work at the shop, sweeping floors, doing chores to "pay" for the books? Its all a testamant to how much she loved comics, and how important the medium was to her.

3. I love the fact that there are war books in her collection. She's in an internment camp because of the war, but there are copies of Captain America, Fightin' Yank and other "war" comics right there. Some with Cap punching a japanese soldier right there on the cover. Makes me think she maintained her love of country (in some fashion) DESPITE what it was doing to her and her family. Amazing.

4. Camps Guards were not all honorable. Did she have money/books stolen from her when the guards did their random house checks/sweeps? Did she have a place she hid the books away from the house to keep them safe?

5. Families got moved around. Both within the camp (changing houses) and between camps. She has one book that has the unique note of "Camp 3" The idea that she was likely able to relocate during her internment with her collection in hand is amazing that it didnt get tossed along the way. Again, a testament to the importance these books held to her.

6. The code. Her little alphanumeric code makes me want to find all the books throughout the timeline of her internment. I havent found a single book that pre-dated the Internment act. The first ped book, Starting Comics #24, might have been from right when she arrived (it does have the "Okajima" --script that she used to tag her books) but it has no code. The first code I've found is from 2/22/44 with a "2j" and that date is two YEARS after Rosevelt authorized all the Internment (which had already started). What was going on before that point? Where are the books with codes prior to 2j? Is there a 1 series?

There's just so much that adds color and context to this pedigree above all the other ones. I cant think of another pedigree with a better story. It all paints a rich picture of the collector, some of it fabricated in my mind's storytelling attempts to fill the gap for sure, but it is such a compelling pedigree because of it.

enough rambling of mine...

Seriously beautiful story. Makes me wish there was a book or movie about her and her experiences there. I'd love to see the comic angle as a centerpiece of the movie. But it probably won't because of how bad the US would look. I know this is a subject of our dark history we tend to bury and try to forget or deny much like the Japanese try with Nanjing but it's a great reminder of how our fear can drive us to lose sight of what makes our country great and sinks us to the level of our enemies or worse. We don't have far back to look for another such incident not to long ago. But enough politics, this is one story I'm glad you reminded us of and I can understand why this book will be sought after. I won't bid on it. Not just because it's not in my focus but because I couldn't begin to provide a worthy prominent and honorable place in my collection for it These deserve to be in a museum or a pedestal display case. (worship)

Screw Heritage. Unless you have deep pockets, their fees rape you in the end. I have yet to see, get, a bargain on Heritage. Even if the book sells low, after their fees you're paying top dollar. The seller gets hosed too.

Sotheby's is like that with high fees.

I know this guy he sold a painting for $12,000.

As in the buyer paid $12,000 for the painting, but my friend only received a little over $6,000 for it after Sotheby's took their buyers fee cut and seller fees cut! :o

Then after that hose job my friend had to a pay a Capital Gains tax.

My friend was left with about $4000 when all was said and done!

So let`s do the math something sold for $12,000 at a auction house, and my friend only actually received about 1/3 of that money.

I don`t think most folks realize how much those fees can add up to, and why most collectibles are bad bets when selling on a major auction house.

Did they send him a 1099 for the sale?!?!? Unless he obtained the painting for free, he would need to offset his taxes by what he paid to what he sold.

I bought a FF1 in 7.0 for 17k. It sold on Heritage for 22k. I wound up with 15.5k. I didn't even get a free jug of lube. I'm still waiting for payment. The book and money has been tied up for almost 6-months. I'll never complain about the 2 week lag with shipping from CL ever again. :)

Pedigree, Doug, is the FASTEST shipper out there. I get my books in 3 days from him.

The overall fastest shipper is Sparkle City Comics

strong bidding this month

Really? Im actually ahead in 14 of the books ive bid on so far with a day or two to go and they are all well below GPA average. Ive actually increased my max bid in 7 or them and expect to come away with 6 wins if there isnt a last minute frenzy and seeing as its January i dont expect there to be :wishluck:

strong bidding this month

Really? Im actually ahead in 14 of the books ive bid on so far with a day or two to go and they are all well below GPA average. Ive actually increased my max bid in 7 or them and expect to come away with 6 wins if there isnt a last minute frenzy and seeing as its January i dont expect there to be :wishluck:

Ironically your posting this will hurt your chances (although probably not by a lot)...

I'm saving my money for the Feb auction. Some nice stuff there.

this month there's a ton of Sci-Fi pulps

next month is Canadian Whites...

I like them having a big themed collection in the monthly auction, even if it's not something I'm into.

anything is better than sifting thru pages of Marvel silver...

Who the heck is bidding up that Hulk 102 past 5k when a 9.8 in white just sold for 4k on MyComicShop two days ago?!?!?!

I'm also looking mostly at next months books. Either I'm going to pay through the nose for a few or I'm going to cost someone else a pretty penny to get them.