• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

#75 Quattro

10 posts in this topic

A green logo I've envied for some time now.

I have just acquired Superman #75 (Jan 1993), the "Death" of Superman, fourth printing edition for my Death and Return of Superman set. This cover art is the same as the first printing; the only differences from the first print are the green colored Superman logo and the Roman numeral IV underneath the issue number. I had hoped to hold off on any new CGC purchases for the next month or so, but when I saw this issue listed, the advising voice inside my head told me that I had better not hesitate. This piece was just graded last month and fresh from CGC, this was also my first purchase from the sales forum in the Collectors Society.

With this fourth printing now in my collection, I am three issues away from having all six initial editions for Superman #75. Superman #75 went through four printings, a Poly-Bagged Collector's Edition and a Platinum Edition given to retailers who had to order so many copies of Superman #75 to receive a platinum copy. I have the platinum edition, one of my favorite pieces and a highlight of my Copper/Modern collection. I also have the third printing of Superman #75, strange how after all these years I still have yet to get a copy of the first print in grade. There are quite a few high grade copies of the first print, so there has never been a sense of urgency to get it, maybe someday, when the right time and price align.

Having the Platinum Edition and the 4th printing of this issue in high grade is more than good enough for me. Three out of six editions for the same issue is not bad. A part of me wants to just get the 2nd print in high grade and skip the 1st print and the Poly-Bagged Collector's Edition, this would be a great way to go against the grain and only have the hard to find versions of such highly collected issue.

As of this writing, there are only 3 copies of this fourth printing in 9.8 grade, there are three more in 9.8 signature. Compare this to the 479 copies currently listed for the 1st print in 9.8 grade.

79 in 9.8 for the 2nd printing

16 in 9.8 for the 3rd printing

97 in 9.8 for the Poly-Bagged Edition

48 in 9.8 for the Platinum Edition

These numbers are from the 1/7/2014 census.

Ultimately, these numbers will change, and may or may not matter much in the long run. I originally had a few copies of 4th printing of #75 as a kid. I got these from the various collectors' packs I scored at Toys "R" Us as an 11 to 12 year-old. One pack I had, contained the seven issues that made up 'Doomsday', the first part of the Death and Return of Superman saga. This flimsy cardboard box the issues came in had a large window in front, displaying the waiving cape and the green 'Superman' logo, the cover of the 4th printing to Superman #75. There were also many two packs with a flimsy cardboard divider separating the issues, showing many 4th prints for #75. I cannot exactly remember this like it was yesterday, but from the pictures of sealed packs I have seen online, I think it's safe to say that many of these issues were less than near mint before and after distribution. I'm also curious to know if this fourth print made it to comic shops, or if it was made solely for the multipacks and what the print number was for this one.

I have written before of how I came to look down on these multiple printings when I learned of the difference. I coveted the first prints and did little to take care of my "worthless" reprints. I think I even recycled most of these years ago when I found the first prints of all these issues. Even when I started my CGC sets in the mid 2000's I thought to myself how I would not waste time with these multiple prints, after all, they were the same covers, just a difference in logo color. I have read from others on the threads that many comic shops in 90's did not bother with ordering later printings, I also read other posts about how comic shops and readers alike developed multiple printing fatigue. I now have come to appreciate and accept the challenge of finding these neglected gems in high grade.

Superman #75 4th printing may or may not be that rare, but for now it is a "condition" rarity.

15002.JPG

See more journals by Brandon Shepherd

I am sorry to admit this, but I am a 1st Print snob. I don't generally look at the 2nd, 3rd or 4th prints. The only time I have was with the early Marvel Graphic Novels like The Death of Captain Marvel which sold its 1st and 2nd prints rather quickly. I still have my 3rd print copy. But when it comes to comic books, I only buy 1st prints. And back in the day, anything other than a 1st print was considered worthless.

I understand now, things have changed dramatically. The latter print runs are collectible because of their lower print runs.

So it looks like you got yourself a rare one... and in 9.8! Congrats!

Imagine going to a Toys R Us Warehouse and finding a stack of these?

There's another edition you may not have considered... the Newsstand Editon. It differs in the UPC box.

SW3D

Funny you should mention the first prints. It's funny because when I got my first CGC examples for the Death and Return of Superman 6 or 7 years ago, I said to myself that I was only going to go after the first prints, and that I would also not worry about collector's editions, platinum editions or even issues from the Reign of the Supermen story line.

There is also the notion of doing a separate set for signatures only. One could also devote a set solely for newsstand variants... :insane:

There's another edition you may not have considered... the Newsstand Editon. It differs in the UPC box.

It turns out that there is also a Newsstand Edition for the 4th print, this is the only other printing besides the 1st to have a newsstand version. Now a newsstand 4th print, that would be hard to find in high grade...

It's madness I tell you, madness! :insane:

685511.jpg

No, THIS IS CGC.... sorry, man got caught up in the moment. Goodluck trying to pick one of those. This really reminds me of my hunt for the Argentinian Variant for Avengers vs X-Men. Love it when you have to have'em all. Great now I got that damn Pokeman thing in my head...

I weird the completionist train of thought. The idea that we have to have at least one of all of them and they have to be in the best condition and everything. Just found out about a month ago some Con in France had some type of foil variant for Avengers vs X-Men and now I'm off looking for one of them...

But yeah, the kids were watching that movie last night and after reading this Journal it was the first thing in my head...