• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

35 cent variant Faux Pas-WHO BROKE THE RULES

38 posts in this topic

I have to say, I AM PRETTY PISSED OFF RIGHT NOW. And the worst part is, I'll put even money that it was a Forum member who did.....

THIS

Now, I'll cut the offending party some slack since I was bidding under a new ID, but this is still pretty outrageous regardless of whether the bidders are members or not. Where's JC when you need him? Seriously, it's one thing to work out a deal outside of ebay, but to have the seller cancel current bids to do so is absolute [#@$%!!!]. Honestly, I think we all long ago decided that this fell well outside the realm of acceptable behavior. And the worst part is, the person I suspect, if he did in fact do this, had the gall to email me advertising his surplus of variants.

If it's not him, I apologize (which is why I'm not naming names), and I hope he denies it in order to narrow the field of suspects. And I will find out who it is and publicly humiliate them. If it's one thing I can't stand, it's people who have no control over their obsessions and lose sight of common courtesy in order to compulsively satisfy their needs. Pathetic.

Confirmation on an unlisted variant that no one else may have seen is one thing. Asking an unwitting seller to end such an auction on which there are no bids is still another (I've certainly done this, but stopped cuz I took some heat for it and it was frowned upon by some). But to screw other bidders on an obvious 35 cent variant listing is complete garbage. Like I said, consensus on this was clearly that such an action was not acceptable.

Saw that too----Was not me--I was going to snipe that one.

I was wondering about cowshirt though...........I actually thought it was a shill for the seller---trying to drive up the price on Cosmic.

I think I know who you are thinking.........but I doubt it.

I would like to find out also.

I was talking with the guy who listed these variants and was only bidding on them because he said he had a lot more and that if I won the Peter Parkers he would sell me the rest directly well that sounded great so I placed some bids but I never ask him to end his auctions.

He did email me to say that he ended his auction because he had been looking at completed auctions on 35 cent variants and that he decided to pull them to get them graded he claims they are all very high grade and must think he will do much better if he gets them graded.

I did make the mistake of once offering that woman from Wilmington who had all those spider-man variants a while back a good price for her variants which she jumped all over and their were already bids on them I was very wrong to do that and I will never do anything like that again and yes JC let me know how wrong I was in making her an offer and I agree with him it was wrong.

But all I can say I did not make any deal with this guy and I will never make offers for auctions that already have bids on them again.

The person I suspected has PM'd me and denied working out a deal outside of ebay. And I absolutely believe him.

As for whether the seller took them off to be slabbed (still horse cr@p, but within ebay's rules), I don't know whether I believe that or not, but there's nothing you can do. I still wouldn't rule out a deal being worked out with someone, and regardless, it pisses the heck out of me. Once a seller posts something, they should let it ride. In every auction, both sellers and buyers have to take a leap of faith--the bidders have to hope they get what's advertised and the sellers have to hope they get FMV and trust their own knowledge to have listed the item properly. It drives me crazy that ebay allows this.

Well, it could be this STUPID price that would make someone consider sending the books to be graded. Especially if they are 9.2 or 9.4.

Another crazy price--

makepoint.gifforeheadslap.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

Theres an Iron Fist 13 in cgc 9.0 on eBay now that is currently even higher than this one. I think it is safe to say that word is now out on the 35 cent variants. gossip.gif

No one cut any deal on these comics, they are still in my possesion and will probably remain there. I think anyone who suddenly gets attention for something would have to question whether or not what they had was authentic which is what I did. Luckily, Terry was kind enough to verify that they were indeed variants. For that I am appreciative. I actually ended the auction for 2 reasons, the first being that I didnt want to advertise something as such to find out that it was something entirely different, the second is old fashioned GREED! They are high grade books, most were read once and stored away. All were from an original owner collection. They will all end up at CGC. Sorry to bust any of the conspiracy theories that seem to be floating.

Spyder17

So tell us about the collection--

How many variants? What are they? Are they all VF/NM?

Where did they come from? Are you sending all of them to be graded?

Always appreciate the stories behind the finds, and Cosmic is doing a good job of keeping track of distribution cities. Would you provide him with marking information if there is any on the books?

As a variant collector, I wish you luck with your find, grades from CGC, and future sales.

hi.gifflowerred.gif

No one cut any deal on these comics, they are still in my possesion and will probably remain there. I think anyone who suddenly gets attention for something would have to question whether or not what they had was authentic which is what I did. Luckily, Terry was kind enough to verify that they were indeed variants. For that I am appreciative. I actually ended the auction for 2 reasons, the first being that I didnt want to advertise something as such to find out that it was something entirely different, the second is old fashioned GREED! They are high grade books, most were read once and stored away. All were from an original owner collection. They will all end up at CGC. Sorry to bust any of the conspiracy theories that seem to be floating.

It's good to know that there wasn't a deal outside of ebay. It's worth pointing out that although my concerns my seem somewhat paranoid to you, examples of auctions ending early because of non-ebay deals being arranged, are fairly common, especially among variant collectors.

And while I appreciate your honest regarding your reasons for pulling them, I still have to disagree with whether or not it's "right" to do so, Since it's certainly within ebay's rules, my gripe is more with them than you. Anyone who places something up for sale, especially in an auction format, should be prepared to sell it. And, when bids are placed, should be required to do so. If you (I mean this in the general sense, not just Spyder17) don't know enough about the item, you should either not list it until you do, or be prepared to take your lumps. There is no other sales or auction forum in the world where an item is allowed to be withdrawn, unless it has a reserve on it.

That said, welcome to the forum. And enjoy the wealth of info. here.