• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Johnny Depp as the good doctor?

75 posts in this topic

I like Depp (though I think he has become a bit of a self-parody since Pirates took off) and I love Dr. Strange. I am really, really looking forward to this movie. We are finally in an age of special effects where it could really be done right.

But, I also hope Depp is not cast in this role. I think it would be a bad sign for the tone of the project. I am hoping for something a bit darker than what Depp's involvement would suggest.

I just remember him from Sleepy Hollow, Sweeney Todd, From Hell...the guy can do dark.

To no one in particular, just to the general thread sentiment:

The width and breadth of his career has demonstrated he can do anything. His wacky portrayals in Pirates and other movies are what the character called for, not what Depp brought to the role. He played Barnabus Collins and Willy Wonka the way Burton wanted him to, that's not really the same thing as Depp choosing to go that route with the character or some limitation on his ability to portray.

Dr. Strange has always been one of my favorites, so when I read this news today, I was both hopeful and a bit trepidiatious about the prospects of Depp taking on the doctor. If produced and directed properly, Depp could be a hit. Anyone looking to book him for a movie is certainly hoping that. He's the sort of actor that can draw millions simply on virtue of his name, a real A-lister. I can see Depp doing this role quite well, but yes, as others have noted, it doesn't fit the sort of boozy, mercurial, high-eccentric that we've seen from him in certain recent roles

The width and breadth of his career has demonstrated he can do anything. His wacky portrayals in Pirates and other movies are what the character called for, not what Depp brought to the role. He played Barnabus Collins and Willy Wonka the way Burton wanted him to, that's not really the same thing as Depp choosing to go that route with the character or some limitation on his ability to portray.

I agree with this. Without a doubt one of the most talented men on the big screen.

However my fear is that the powers that be will WANT him to portray Strange as a zany sorcerer ala him in Jack Sparrow/Will Wonka type roles. To me that wouldn't do the character justice.

Depp would be terrific. He can't act, some say? Really? Donnie Brasco.

And he is a huge box office draw. Connects well with all types of viewers, including kids and women. Pretty logical choice, I think.

Let me put it this way: if Depp takes the role, hoard, no, STOCKPILE, ST110s.

Lone Ranger should end his career. Though he's 50, he looks a little young for the role. I'm only basing his qualifications on his looks because...I haven't seen any of his films. :grin:

I can't think of anyone suitable though. Guy with a mustache...uh, Tom Selleck?

The only Burton films I've seen were the 2 Batmans. The first one disappointed me. Saw Batman Returns much later and I thought it was excellent! Assuming he's being tapped to direct...

It needs to be someone who is in the 40-50 age range, who is a decent looking guy and can carry the serious + arrogant doctor that Stephen Strange was before the accident that crippled his hands.

What about Gabriel Byrne? Too old?

Geo Clooney?

Y'know, the more I look at this pic, the more I think JD has the best look for this role:

johnny-depp-smoking-b-w-glossy-movie-photo-photograph-print.jpg

hm

-slym

I can just see him putting on his coat while another doctor is asking him to see a patient. "Can the patient pay my fee? No? Have a good evening then."