• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MONDAY'S COMIC ZONE- CGC'S STEVE BOROCK & PAUL LITCH

361 posts in this topic

Using Golden Age mylar or Silver?

Everybody likes to give them that little extra Push to keep them in

I use Golden Age mylar on my own DC Giants, but it's common for me at conventions to pass on 80 PGers at dealers' tables because of that very defect.

On the point Steve raised in the interview about mylars falling off a shelf and being damaged -- what kind of damage did they suffer? And would they have suffered any damage if the mylar had been suspended within a CGC hard outer shell? I'm guessing not.

They (comics in Mylar) also wouldn't receive any damage if they land flat. headbang.gif

I've been on the radio as a caller, and I've been the "featured guest" (a la Borock on the show in question) on more than one radio show, including a nationally syndicated talk show, and I can assure you that they do indeed screen callers. Maybe Vince and Co. don't screen callers, but most radio shows do. The fact that some "sensitive" issues/questions may still get airtime doesn't mean they're not screening calls.

I can guarantee without a shadow of a doubt that the Comic Zone does not screen calls. The way the system is set up Ed Keyes sits in Cali and VZ sits in NY so if there is a call Ed will take it and ask Vincent live in real time if he wants to take it. That simple,

Steve,

I don't agree with Marnin entirely about many of the points that he raises, and the way he stated certain issues are certainly unwarrented. But I have to admire his conviction regarding his position, and the fact that he is able to offer evidence to support his position.

Yes, he does bash CGC, yes he has lots of negative things to say about people who use CGC. But -- and this is just me -- allowing criticism openly in a forum is a good thing. I think whenever you can open the discussion up so that all points of view are discussed it's a good thing. I'm not saying CGC through their boards doesn't do that, and I think they're perfectly within their rights to ask Marnin to tone down his comments is also warranted.

I think a lot of people have experienced damage as result of books packed poorly in Mylars and slabs. Certainly, if there's many people complaining about damage in the slab, then they can't ALL be as a result of poor packing. I don't think it's a HUGE defect as it seems like something that occurs after multiple shippings or over time to the slab, but I do think that it's something CGC could at least consider.

While I noted I respected Marnin for coming on here and voicing his opinion as he felt, I think we should be giving credit to Steve to for coming on here and responding to sometimes fairly biting comments. One thing we should always give credit to Steve for is that he will certainly address any comments or questions, and he usually has fairly reasonably answers... even if we don't always agree.

I'm not surprised they didn't screen. I mean, c'mon guys, it's not nightline, ya know. Most talk radio is pretty loosy goosy in terms of screening and the like, unless you've got millions listening like the Howard Stern show. I'm guessing that the listenership for that radio program is pretty durned tiny, though I'm not knocking it...cool show and all.

The number of people who listen may be tiny, but it definitely seems to have grown in the past couple of months. Congrats to Vincent for building a fan base. 893applaud-thumb.gif It is a great show.

The Zone isn't as tiny as you might think! We are getting over 4K listeners a month! But please continue to spread the word. This show is provided completely free to comicdom (both the live shows and the archives - you only need a computer and internet access) and VZ puts in tons of time and effort getting the guests that he has had.

I can guarantee without a shadow of a doubt that the Comic Zone does not screen calls. The way the system is set up Ed Keyes sits in Cali and VZ sits in NY so if there is a call Ed will take it and ask Vincent live in real time if he wants to take it. That simple,

Peter Dixon (Paradise Comics) and I have done about a dozen appearances collectively on a talk radio show here in Toronto to talk about comics, comic movies and our convention.

Each station may do it differently, but MOJO had a fellow in an adjacent room who would take down the caller's name and what kind of question they wanted to ask and then ask them to hold. He would enter into his computer something like Line 1 - Dave re: CGC. Then the radio host would look at his screen and see that there were 5 calls on hold. He would then select one of the five and announce the call. "We have Dave on the line and he has a question about CGC, what would you like to ask Dave?"

Has anyone experienced "mylar damage" to their books?

I've seen 80 PG Giants and 64 PG Giants where the bottom of the spine appears pinched by the tighter area on the bottom of the mylar.

Is it possible to make a "Giant Size, or Square Bound " only MYLAR?

One that would not have such a narrow tapering pinch at the edge welds?

But would rather be welded in such a way that there would be a a small amount of raised open space inside the Mylar at the weld area. to allow for a 100 pager to still be held snugly, but also to avoid it being "pinched" on the sides.. or bottom,as Bob said.. people like to push them down too far.

Just a thought...

Ze-

p.s.

And on the subject of dropping a "raw Mylar"..yes.. a Mylar will get bent, creased if dropped , even with a Full Back board..but as FFB said, in my SCS test, I secured the Mylar in a hard outer shell similar to the method used in correct Mylar/comic shipping, where a seller tapes two cardboard pieces to create a sandwich around the Mylar.

The cardboard takes the brunt on hard impact jarrs, and the Mylar keep's the comic snug.

If we could create a new "wide edge" weld 4 mil Mylar with a less aggressive taper.. to prevent pinching, or pulling, tearing at the spine..along with a 10 mill clear backboard and then secure that in a shell.. I still feel that is the way to go. thumbsup2.gif

I have personally sliced a cover, I have caught mylars on indented staples and chips.

But to be clear, the "mylar damage" you're describing above wasn't caused "in transit" was it? Those sound like things that could occur when inserting a book in a mylar or removing a book from a mylar.

I don't think anyone's comparing mylars to CGC slabs directly, but only pointing out that mylars *inside* slabs would appear to be a very viable solution to most, perhaps all, SCS damage.

I've been on the radio as a caller, and I've been the "featured guest" (a la Borock on the show in question) on more than one radio show, including a nationally syndicated talk show, and I can assure you that they do indeed screen callers. Maybe Vince and Co. don't screen callers, but most radio shows do. The fact that some "sensitive" issues/questions may still get airtime doesn't mean they're not screening calls.

I'm not sure how this turned into an issue...? I certainly believe that ComicZone doesn't screen callers. The original point had to do with some misconception that I was under the belief that "questionable questions" might get screened...?

When you've got a spinmeister at the wheel, there are very few, if any, questions you're afraid to field live. You just gently brush aside the questions you don't like and move on. Most listeners attention spans are about equal to those of a dead antelope.

BTW, what was that odd rectangular "lump" seen under the back of Steve B's shirt during the show? It was clearly visible in the webcam feed...? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm not surprised they didn't screen. I mean, c'mon guys, it's not nightline, ya know. Most talk radio is pretty loosy goosy in terms of screening and the like, unless you've got millions listening like the Howard Stern show. I'm guessing that the listenership for that radio program is pretty durned tiny, though I'm not knocking it...cool show and all.

The number of people who listen may be tiny, but it definitely seems to have grown in the past couple of months. Congrats to Vincent for building a fan base. 893applaud-thumb.gif It is a great show.

The Zone isn't as tiny as you might think! We are getting over 4K listeners a month! But please continue to spread the word. This show is provided completely free to comicdom (both the live shows and the archives - you only need a computer and internet access) and VZ puts in tons of time and effort getting the guests that he has had.

4,000 listeners per month? Wow, I had no idea. That is great!

The bulge in steve's shirt was the transmitter that Jim Halpern was feeding Steve Borock with the answers (Joke). You know, much like the 1st debate where it "appeared" that George Bush was getting fed answers, probably from Cheney. makepoint.gif

The bulge in steve's shirt was the transmitter that Jim Halpern was feeding Steve Borock with the answers (Joke). You know, much like the 1st debate where it "appeared" that George Bush was getting fed answers, probably from Cheney. makepoint.gif

I think we got it the first time Bob... thumbsup2.gif