• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

On 1/16/2022 at 7:58 AM, Subby1938 said:

We don’t have these laws in Canada . There are laws on depositing sums of cash etc but nothing of taxing of collectables . 

Better get a second opinion on that.

https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tips/tax-tip-tax-on-personal-use-property-5196

Edited by namisgr

On 1/16/2022 at 1:24 PM, Subby1938 said:

That’s funny because nobody will ever declare money on this . You are a fool to . As a business not my issue . I’ve dealt in cash thanks 

You wrote that there was no law covering a tax on collectibles gains in Canada.  Intuit tax service believes otherwise.  Whether you choose to cheat on what you legally owe your federal government in taxes is a separate issue.

The same folks keep getting offended when I point out the obvious (and sometimes not-so-obvious) from sales data.  Personal attacks are not cool.  It’s just a point of view on a legit question.  This is not a personal attack on those who wish things were more clear cut.  I have many SA and GA keys that are WPs, including mega-keys, but I’m not a blind witness and don't take anything for granted.  Anyway, if you have a nice-looking book in any grade AND it's WP, you should do better than expected, other things being equal.  So what's the beef?

Here’s 3 years' worth of sales data for AF15 in grade 4.5 per GPA (unless otherwise noted).  As you can see, GPA offers more than enough data points in the relatively common grade of blue 4.5 (163 books or top 31.3%) for the last three full years.   ComicLink data is unretrievable now unless you tracked their items.  My book is a higher grade so I generally didn’t  collect non-GPA data for AF15 in 4.5, except for the one noted below.  I doubt there were a significant number of additional CL sales of 4.5s to make a difference in the main takeaway of this data.  If there were more CL sales, you could let me know. 

Self-explanatory, but the "YES" or "NO" in brackets shows when the data (JUST THE DATA) supported [YES] or did not support [NO] the hypothesis that PQ played a role in the price (if a lower PQ fetched a higher price after the sale of a higher PQ, it was marked with a "[NO]," if a higher PQ fetched a higher price after the sale of a lower PQ, it was marked with a "[YES]".  Simple).  

2018 (before the accelerated appreciation of 2021):

1/7/18:  OW/W $26290

1/21/18:  OW = $27485 (more than OW/W two weeks before) [NO]

2/25/18:  OW = $26290

3/24/18: OW = $26200

6/11/18: OW = $29644

7/15/18: C/OW  $33600 (more  than OW month before) [NO]

9/5/18: OW/W = $30100 (less than C/OW 1.5 months before) [NO]

9/23/18: OW = $38950 (new RECORD for time being, despite an OW/W selling just 18 days earlier) [hell NO!]

11/18/18: C/OW = $28906 (less than OW 2 months before)  [YES]

2019 (before the accelerated appreciation of 2021)

3/10/19: OW/W $32400 (more than C/OW 4 months prior) [YES]

6/23/19:  OW/W = $30229

7/25/19: OW/W =  $28050

8/8/19:  C/OW = $31122 (more than OW/W just 2 weeks prior) [NO]

10/28/19:  OW = $37500 (more than C/OW almost 2 moths prior) [YES]

2020: (before the accelerated appreciation of 2021)

2/9/20:  OW $28405

6/21/20: OW = $31200

6/29/20: OW = $30500

7/12/20: C/OW = $31200 (more than OW just two weeks before) [NO]

8/2/20:  C/OW = $27600

11/15/20:  OW/OW = $27600 (same as C/OW three months before) [NO]

2021:  All agree last year was CRAZY?  Price deltas were more likely due to elapsed time than anything else, including PQ:

1/17/21: OW = $38400

1/23/21: OW = $32500

2/26/21: OW/W = $38250 (more than OW month before) [YES]

3/10/21:  OW/W = $42000

6/23/21: OW = $51111 (new RECORD for time being, again “just” OW) [NO]

9/16/21: COMIC LINK OW/W = $74000 (more than OW 3 months before) [YES]

10/31/21: C/OW = $84000 (more than both OW/W month before and OW 4  months prior)  (new and current RECORD) [hell NO!]

11/14/21: OW/W = $78000 (less than C/OW just 2 weeks prior) [NO]

11/20/21: OW/W = $54000

12/19/21: OW = $78000  (same as OW/W month before) [NO]

So there you have it, long-winded or not.  Not perfect, but still objective w/ enough data to be meaningful.  And the Nays have it.  By a lot.  11 to 5.  Indeed, a C/OW holds the record sale for a 4.5.  But there were no WPs in the period looked at, so it's likely uncommon.  That should count for something!  But PQ in general has not been tied to prices, not neatly at least.  I’m just the messenger, so please refrain from personal attacks. 

Edited by Pantodude

thank you everyone for your very thoughtful responses on my NOOB white pages question, and I apologize if I started a heated debate. Definitely not my intention, and I appreciate everyone's input. I think the fundamental challenge is that these books aren't like stocks where you can clearly track price trends and every share of the same company is worth the same. Every book, even in the same grade and the same page quality, has some variation in appearence/etc, and every collector values some characteristics or defects more then others. Add to that the  the variables  of when and where the book is sold (Heritage, ebay, Instagram), and it makes it even more challenging to attribute which specific factor contributed to a specific price at any given time.  

For example on the Heritage auction this weekend, I saw two X-men 1 6.0s sell for basically the same amount, but one of them had a Stan Lee signature, and the other didn't. With just that information one would maybe think that Stan Lee signatures don't add any value to major keys, when in actuality  they usually do (Note:I'm absolutely not trying to start another seperate debate on if Stan Lee should sign keys or not :grin:) . But when you look at each book, at least in my opinion the SS copy looked much more tan and presented worse then the unsigned copy of the same grade, so the prices made more sense to me.  However, that subjective eye appeal isn't captured in any concrete way like grade number or page quality, which I guess is another thing that makes this hobby fun (at least for me). 

Anyway, thanks again for all the responses, that is why I love this forum!

On 1/16/2022 at 2:21 PM, Pantodude said:

Here’s 3 years' worth of sales data for AF15 in grade 4.5 per GPA (unless otherwise noted).  As you can see, GPA offers more than enough data points in the relatively common grade of blue 4.5 (163 books or top 31.3%) for the last three full years.   ComicLink data is unretrievable now unless you tracked their items.  My book is a higher grade so I generally didn’t  collect non-GPA data for AF15 in 4.5, except for the one noted below.  I doubt there were a significant number of additional CL sales of 4.5s to make a difference in the main takeaway of this data.  If there were more CL sales, you could let me know. 

So there you have it, long-winded or not.  Not perfect, but still objective w/ enough data to be meaningful.  And the Nays have it.  By a lot.  11 to 5.  Indeed, a C/OW holds the record sale for a 4.5.  I’m just the messenger, so please refrain from personal attacks. 

That's interesting, thanks for collecting the sales and page quality data.  But there's not a single instance of a white paged copy in any of it.

On 1/16/2022 at 2:45 PM, namisgr said:

That's interesting, thanks for collecting the sales and page quality data.  But there's not a single instance of a white paged copy in any of it.

Yeah, I edited my post to note that in the conclusion.  They are uncommon, likely not just in 4.5.  Your post came after my edit. 

Edited by Pantodude

On 1/16/2022 at 4:35 PM, Subby1938 said:

I’m correct there is no law I’m aware of . Don’t know what intuit is . That’s a service of accountants that do tax forms if I’m not mistaken 

While you may be correct that you aren't aware of the tax law, it nevertheless is in the Canadian tax code that net profit on the sale of collectibles as personal property is subject to taxation.

Edited by namisgr

I sincerely doubt you acquired an AF15 from a garage sale.  Like I wrote earlier, whether you choose to cheat on your Canadian taxes is on you, but it's indeed the case that net profits on personal property including collectibles is subject to Canadian taxation.

On 1/16/2022 at 2:39 PM, skyline23 said:

thank you everyone for your very thoughtful responses on my NOOB white pages question, and I apologize if I started a heated debate. Definitely not my intention, and I appreciate everyone's input. I think the fundamental challenge is that these books aren't like stocks where you can clearly track price trends and every share of the same company is worth the same. Every book, even in the same grade and the same page quality, has some variation in appearence/etc, and every collector values some characteristics or defects more then others. Add to that the  the variables  of when and where the book is sold (Heritage, ebay, Instagram), and it makes it even more challenging to attribute which specific factor contributed to a specific price at any given time.  

For example on the Heritage auction this weekend, I saw two X-men 1 6.0s sell for basically the same amount, but one of them had a Stan Lee signature, and the other didn't. With just that information one would maybe think that Stan Lee signatures don't add any value to major keys, when in actuality  they usually do (Note:I'm absolutely not trying to start another seperate debate on if Stan Lee should sign keys or not :grin:) . But when you look at each book, at least in my opinion the SS copy looked much more tan and presented worse then the unsigned copy of the same grade, so the prices made more sense to me.  However, that subjective eye appeal isn't captured in any concrete way like grade number or page quality, which I guess is another thing that makes this hobby fun (at least for me). 

Anyway, thanks again for all the responses, that is why I love this forum!

Excellent post. There are so many variables to consider. The grade is likely most important, but it's still only one piece of the puzzle! 

On 1/16/2022 at 9:07 PM, Cushing Fan said:

AF15 page 6 just sold for $3,311.99 

Screenshot_20220116-210529_eBay.jpg

Yep. I think that sold low. Best page in the book beside maybe the splash page for some. To me it is the best page. The one to have.

With all those bids I'm surprised it didn't sell for 5,000 or higher. 

On 1/16/2022 at 11:51 PM, Professor K said:

Yep. I think that sold low. Best page in the book beside maybe the splash page for some. To me it is the best page. The one to have.

With all those bids I'm surprised it didn't sell for 5,000 or higher. 

Maybe cream page color hurts a bit more when you can actually see the page.

On 1/17/2022 at 7:28 AM, sledgehammer said:

Maybe cream page color hurts a bit more when you can actually see the page.

Apparently not, because a less popular page (3) with C/OW sold recently for considerably more, $3850.   It could be simply that prices for single pages remains unsettled because the real uptick there is a more recent thing.   Page 6 is a very cool one to have after the splash.  
4D2BF442-05BA-44B1-B240-BCC6B5337B1A.thumb.png.704c2bb7263f44b3d0418668a9bdd0f8.png

4B98E675-F721-4CAF-ACAE-859109FFBF63.thumb.png.ad760c8c6deb53f5fd37f7464b019d4c.png

Edited by Pantodude

On 1/16/2022 at 11:39 AM, skyline23 said:

one thing i'd keep in mind is that white page copies and sig copies are apples and oranges. some collectors want signed copies, others can't stand them. but there is no collector who prefers not to get a white page book. it's just that some value the white pages more highly than others. 

check out this copy which i recently saw on the comiclink exchange. according to the lister, who i do not know, the cgc people told him there are only 23 graded white page copies. seems likely to be true based on experience. 

557AC50A-AD17-431A-8B2A-C3D7D246DA51.png

On 1/17/2022 at 12:19 PM, alexgross.com said:

one thing i'd keep in mind is that white page copies and sig copies are apples and oranges. some collectors want signed copies, others can't stand them. but there is no collector who prefers not to get a white page book. it's just that some value the white pages more highly than others. 

check out this copy which i recently saw on the comiclink exchange. according to the lister, who i do not know, the cgc people told him there are only 23 graded white page copies. seems likely to be true based on experience. 

557AC50A-AD17-431A-8B2A-C3D7D246DA51.png

I see that book is now sold at $78,400