• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

On 1/14/2022 at 4:00 PM, Math Teacher said:

Is it my imagination, or is there a tear along the right-hand edge of the front cover, where the smoke or clouds are?

i agree, it looks like a tear that may even have had some work done. otherwise a great looking copy. @DST is sitting pretty right now with his 5.0 that looks even better than this copy. 

On 1/14/2022 at 5:22 PM, Beige said:

Where does this book finally stop at?

A 1.0 for $29,000

A 2.5 for $45,000+

A 5.5 for  $135,000+ (tonights Heritage)

Is there a ceiling on this book?

If there is - we have to be pretty damn close to it surely?

The amount of 'normal folk' (ie not the super-rich) who now have $100,000+ tied up in a 'funny book' have to be seriously considering selling.

If I'm a normal working-class guy / gal and my comic is now worth $250,000 - then that's a life / retirement changing pile of bills.

I think we might see a heap of AF #15's hit the market from long-term collectors who simply can't afford to turn their nose up at that kind of money. 

bear in mind that the insane 5.5 price was certainly connected to the very hard to find white pages. a similar looking owwp or c/ow copy would not likely have pulled that price. still, all prices very strong now for this book as we all know. lets see if non-heritage auctions also provide similar numbers.

On 1/14/2022 at 7:00 PM, Math Teacher said:

Is it my imagination, or is there a tear along the right-hand edge of the front cover, where the smoke or clouds are?

From the Heritage catalog...

Amazing Fantasy #15 (Marvel, 1962) CGC FN- 5.5 White pages. Probably the most controversial Amazing Fantasy #15 we've ever offered. Yes it does have one major flaw, a 1.25" tear in the right edge of the front cover. But goodness gracious, look at the rest of it! No Marvel chipping or really any other defect of any note. If you haven't secured a copy of the single most important post-Golden Age comic issue, time is your enemy, as its value continues to soar. It's currently ranked #1 on Overstreet's list of Top 50 Silver Age Comics by a wide margin that continues to grow. Herein is the origin and first appearance of Spider-Man, and it's also the first appearances of Uncle Ben and Aunt May. Jack Kirby cover. Steve Ditko started his classic run on Spidey right here. Overstreet 2021 FN 6.0 value = $38,400. CGC census 1/22: 105 in 5.5, 299 higher.

On 1/14/2022 at 8:22 PM, Beige said:

Where does this book finally stop at?

A 1.0 for $29,000

A 2.5 for $45,000+

A 5.5 for  $135,000+ (tonights Heritage)

Is there a ceiling on this book?

If there is - we have to be pretty damn close to it surely?

The amount of 'normal folk' (ie not the super-rich) who now have $100,000+ tied up in a 'funny book' have to be seriously considering selling.

If I'm a normal working-class guy / gal and my comic is now worth $250,000 - then that's a life / retirement changing pile of bills.

I think we might see a heap of AF #15's hit the market from long-term collectors who simply can't afford to turn their nose up at that kind of money. 

It's honestly getting to the point were trying to price out the possible value/price of other copies is nothing but guesses. I've been wracking my head trying to figure out how to help price my friends CGC 0.5 Restored Signature Series Stan Lee.  

Any AF15 is an AF15...but it's restored (Slight Restored due to glue and a little CT on the cover)...but it also has the most important signature possible on it...and it looks good for the grade...and it's COVID crazy collectible wildcard pricing! So who knows!

A few weeks ago I told him to assume at least $10k, but now I'm telling him to assume $15-17k without any clue on where it can go (both in the near future and the long term). 

On 1/14/2022 at 7:22 PM, Beige said:

If I may say so, you seem to be unaware that the government (both federal and state) will take a sizeable chunk of that money, especially if the seller doesn't have a receipt for the purchase. If the seller is lucky, s/he might see around $190,000 from the sale. I feel it is safe to say that $190,000 is not life- or retirement-changing. You would be lucky if you could buy a decent house for that amount, let alone a rich or lavish life style.

Edited by Math Teacher

On 1/15/2022 at 3:05 PM, Math Teacher said:

If I may say so, you seem to be unaware that the government (both federal and state) will take a sizeable chunk of that money, especially if the seller doesn't have a receipt for the purchase. If the seller is lucky, s/he might see around $190,000 from the sale. I feel it is safe to say that $190,000 is not life- or retirement-changing. You would be lucky if you could buy a decent house for that amount, let alone a rich or lavish life style.

If I may say so, your post sounds quite like a pompous arse.

On 1/14/2022 at 11:24 PM, Beige said:

If I may say so, your post sounds quite like a pompous arse.

Math Teacher is a good guy. No need for name calling. 

I think his point is $200k by itself probably isn't going to be enough to retire with or even buy a house in today's market. 

It is, however,  a meaningful amount of money. It could supplement a retirement,  pay off debts and give someone a fresh start.  

I posted about this month's ago when books like Hulk 181 and X1 were going through the roof. I was amazed at how few board members considered cashing out.  Allot of people on these boards suddenly had a vacation home worth of old paper in their closets and yet you really didn't hear that consideration.

Instead you got a bunch of grumpy collectors coming to terms with how expensive this hobby has become....And I was one of those grumpy collectors. 

I also wonder how CGCs backlog may play a role in once hot books coming to market. Like, if you saw X-men 1 setting records and decided it was time to get yours graded and sell, only to have it sit in Florida for 12 months. Does that mean we'll start to see a supply surge in X1s, Hulk 181s and GSX1s? 

On 1/15/2022 at 4:06 PM, KCOComics said:

No need for name calling. 

Fair enough. It just came across a tad patronising.

It pushed a button, as I know a few people on here that $200,000, would indeed, be life changing. 

On 1/14/2022 at 10:24 PM, Beige said:

It won't be long before I start drawing Social Security (possibly as soon as next month). The rule of thumb I have seen repeatedly is that if you only take out 4% of your investments each year, you will never run out of money. So, if we were to follow this rule with this $200,000, that would amount to $8,000 per year (before taxes). If all you had to live on was what you got from Social Security, then I guess receiving an extra $700 extra each month would be significant.

However, people have been beating the drum for YEARS about Social Security running out of money sometime in the 2030s. If you didn't heed this information and spent almost every cent you earned, then the predicament you are in is your own fault. Whenever former students or family or friends ask me for advice about money, the first thing that I always say is, "Start investing money right away for your retirement. Even if it's just $5/month to start with, every penny you save will help you live your life in retirement without having to eat dog food." When I first got my full-time teaching job in August, 1980, you would often read in the paper or on the news about elderly people having to eat dog food to get by. I decided that I didn't want to live that way, so I began saving in the second month of my job. I did this even while knowing that I would receive a pension of 65% of the average of the five highest salaries that I earned while I was employed as a teacher.

On 1/14/2022 at 11:06 PM, KCOComics said:

I also wonder how CGCs backlog may play a role in once hot books coming to market. Like, if you saw X-men 1 setting records and decided it was time to get yours graded and sell, only to have it sit in Florida for 12 months. Does that mean we'll start to see a supply surge in X1s, Hulk 181s and GSX1s? 

As a minor point of clarification, big books like those that you mentioned would need to be submitted in the Walkthrough tier (unless maybe a really low grade hulk 181 or GSX1, in which case they'd probably still be Express tier), so they would probably get back to the submitter in about a month's time (taking into account shipping time, time for CGC to open the box, grade it, and ship it back).  I assume that most of the back log is on lower grading tier items, and that CGC is still turning around Walkthrough tier items pretty fast, even if Walkthrough tier now shows an 8 working day turnaround time compared to something like 1 or 3 days in the old days (the 8 day clock may only start after they open the box, which may take a couple weeks or so, unless they open boxes marked with WK on the sides of the boxes faster, which wouldn't surprise me).

On 1/14/2022 at 11:21 PM, Beige said:

Fair enough. It just came across a tad patronising.

It pushed a button, as I know a few people on here that $200,000, would indeed, be life changing. 

I understand while you feel that way, and I apologize if I came off as high-and-mighty. I didn't stop to think about how this amount would affect other people; I only applied it to my siblings, along with our friends. $200,000 would be a LARGE benefit to my son and his wife, as they struggle to make ends meet at the end of the month.

Edited by Math Teacher

On 1/15/2022 at 4:32 PM, Math Teacher said:

I understand while you feel that way, and I apologize if I came off as high-and-mighty. I didn't stop to think about how this amount would affect other people; I only applied it to my family and our friends. $200,000 would be a LARGE benefit to my son and his wife, as they struggle to make ends meet at the end of the month.

All good.

On 1/15/2022 at 4:35 PM, Math Teacher said:

Thank goodness. I had hoped that we could have avoided "kissing and making up." :devil:

Not unless you fancied a trip 'down-under'  :banana:

On 1/15/2022 at 12:31 AM, Superman2006 said:

As a minor point of clarification, big books like those that you mentioned would need to be submitted in the Walkthrough tier (unless maybe a really low grade hulk 181 or GSX1, in which case they'd probably still be Express tier), so they would probably get back to the submitter in about a month's time (taking into account shipping time, time for CGC to open the box, grade it, and ship it back).  I assume that most of the back log is on lower grading tier items, and that CGC is still turning around Walkthrough tier items pretty fast, even if Walkthrough tier now shows an 8 working day turnaround time compared to something like 1 or 3 days in the old days (the 8 day clock may only start after they open the box, which may take a couple weeks or so, unless they open boxes marked with WK on the sides of the boxes faster, which wouldn't surprise me).

Aaahh, Good point.   So I guess I can stop waiting for that supply surge of X1s, allowing me to upgrade for pennies on the dollar!