• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,564 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Doesn't anybody hold onto their books for longer than 1 auction cycle time period anymore?  ???

Or are they simply getting the auction house to ship it straight to the other auction house or dealer in order to save on postage charges.  lol

Especially with some of these AF 15's which are almost like a hot potato or a case of musical chairs where nobody wants to get caught without a chair.  hm

Jeez, I had mine over fifty years. I'm selling because I'm getting old. It does strike me that if you are flipping the book that the premiums on auctions coupled with the potential cost of borrowing money to be in that game are factors that make quick flips less attractive. 

5 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I hope you'll forgive a naive question.  Does HA's 19.5% buyer's premium apply to any offers made on your book?  And if so, doesn't that make it really hard for you to realize the price you're looking for?

EDIT:  I think I may have answered my own question.  Looks like they take a 10% commission instead of charging a BP.

That's actually a good question since I am not sure about the answer.  (thumbsup)

The 10% would be referring to the Seller's premium which the seller would normally have to pay for books sold in their auctions.  The final realized price for their auction items also includes the 19.5 BP which the buyer has to pay on top of the hammer price.

Not sure how the SP and BP works though when it comes to their Make An Offer to Owner option that they have to facilitate subsequent sales to buyers of their books.  ???

Freshly graded AF 15 8.0 ( Grade date 08/22/2017 ) listed on ComicLink.

Guess big numbers will bring those "hard to find in high grade copies" out of the woodwork.

Is it the 3rd or 4th 8.0 offered in as many months ?

Edited by Gotham Kid

51 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Guess big numbers will bring those "hard to find in high grade copies" out of the woodwork.

what I never like about the freshly graded argument, is that its also very possible someone took a book slabbed from before pressing was allowed (or done well) and had it pressed/cleaned/regraded. I suspect many of these books coming up existed on in a CGC case before. Even before the recent price explosion this book was a high 5 figure low 6 figure book. If you knew what grading is AND you own that book you likely would have already graded it. Going from regular stupid expensive to double-secret stupid costly shouldn't make that much of a difference, right?

37 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

what I never like about the freshly graded argument, is that its also very possible someone took a book slabbed from before pressing was allowed (or done well) and had it pressed/cleaned/regraded. I suspect many of these books coming up existed on in a CGC case before. Even before the recent price explosion this book was a high 5 figure low 6 figure book. If you knew what grading is AND you own that book you likely would have already graded it. Going from regular stupid expensive to double-secret stupid costly shouldn't make that much of a difference, right?

more to come!  i dont know if it was pressed with those pre-chips but maybe cleaned.

Edited by paul747

2 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

No one said they where hard to find if your thing is rarer books then GA is the way to go (that is the way you already collect). SA are not rare just a lot of people collect them. Some are ''scarcer'' in 6.0 and higher and some are not.

What is the point of ''bashing'' the #1 SA comic book I don't get it (this is not just for you but others that do so)? It is what it is and people buy it or they don't. It may slow down or it may not over time so why all the negative comments. It's a great book with a great hero end of story (Just like many other SA key books). People have money they spend it how they like. For some it is to expensive for others it's not. Just like anything else in life. There many things I would like to buy but I can't afford them. Does that make those things overpriced....the answer is no. It simply means I can't afford to buy them and that is that. I shed a tear and I turn a page and then collect something I can afford.

Edited by SC22

chipping is scary. With my 5.0. I caused the single chip in the corner, creasing the book going back in mylar. That was about ten years back. In  the winter, we were looking at the book and at that crease point, the color fell off. It went to CGC with the chip of color in a plastic in the packing with a note. It was graded and in being returned the chip did not return with the book. I have no idea where it could be. I've been told that it might be included  inside the book and maybe not. What is clear to me is that this transgression probably cost me 10K. Live and learn. At least I found the comic  in a box and cost nothing. It's such a weird way to make money.

3 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Yeah, about.

Was thinking about making a post about how the 7.5 and up's were starting to fade away (after the onslaught of a couple of months ago when one came up for sale/auction every two weeks or so) but, now…..

Weird world we live in.  If this sells for the BIN price of 275K will that be the most expensive 8.0 sale so far? I've honestly lost track.

Edited by NoMan

3 hours ago, SC22 said:

No one said they where hard to find if your thing is rarer books then GA is the way to go (that is the way you already collect). SA are not rare just a lot of people collect them. Some are ''scarcer'' in 6.0 and higher and some are not.

What is the point of ''bashing'' the #1 SA comic book I don't get it (this is not just for you but others that do so)? It is what it is and people buy it or they don't. It may slow down or it may not over time so why all the negative comments. It's a great book with a great hero end of story (Just like many other SA key books). People have money they spend it how they like. For some it is to expensive for others it's not. Just like anything else in life. There many things I would like to buy but I can't afford them. Does that make those things overpriced....the answer is no. It simply means I can't afford to buy them and that is that. I shed a tear and I turn a page and then collect something I can afford.

Respectfully, you're being overy sensitive. Nobody is out to get AF15. This thread welcomes all opinions, on all aspects, of this particular book. Let folks express their opinions, even if it doesn't align with your particular perspective. 

C_

40 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Respectfully, you're being overy sensitive. Nobody is out to get AF15. This thread welcomes all opinions, on all aspects, of this particular book. Let folks express their opinions, even if it doesn't align with your particular perspective. 

C_

I am OK with people saying certain things about AF15 but to keep pushing that it should not be worth so much because it is ''common''. SA books are widely collected and the demand is higher than the supply that should be evident by the continuing rise of it's value year after year.

Edited by SC22

10 minutes ago, SC22 said:

I am OK with people saying certain things about AF15 but to keep pushing that it should not be worth so much because it is ''common''. SA books are widely collected and the demand is higher than the supply that should be evident by the continuing rise of it's value year after year.

I respect your opinion, along with others. Personally, as a very logic driven individual (sometimes to a fault), it makes sense to me that higher prices will bring new books to market. Don't see what's so offensive about that concept.

19 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

I have posted in most SA categories (not only the AF15 thread) long before you arrived and will continue to do so long after you have left.

One thing as a GA collector you should know and you probably do is that rarity does not equal high value. What is important is demand and AF15 is in high demand. The GA has a lot of scarce and rare books that will ''always'' remain low on desirability hence low in value. They are still cool books but not as valuable as some SA books.

Edited by SC22

3 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

I respect your opinion, along with others. Personally, as a very logic driven individual (sometimes to a fault), it makes sense to me that higher prices will bring new books to market. Don't see what's so offensive about that concept.

Not offensive at all just trying to show you that even a so called ''common'' book (easy to say that when you compare it to GA books) in the SA can be in very high demand. Hence the value increases over time for certain books of this age.

Edited by SC22

Just now, drdonaldblake1 said:

wonder what that 1million $ 9.6 is worth today?

Who knows till it comes up and sells at that specific moment in time.

Edited by SC22

6 minutes ago, drdonaldblake1 said:

wonder what that 1million $ 9.6 is worth today?

Which one? The pressed and upgraded copy of Bob Storms/Showcase New England that Tommy B bought? Or the copy Metro sold? I believe to Scott at Colorado comics? Considering the diamond run copy went from an 86k sale to a million dollar book I think that one holds the record. 

12 minutes ago, amazingspiderfan said:

Which one? The pressed and upgraded copy of Bob Storms/Showcase New England that Tommy B bought? Or the copy Metro sold? I believe to Scott at Colorado comics? Considering the diamond run copy went from an 86k sale to a million dollar book I think that one holds the record. 

Intense ''1st'' post......

Edited by SC22

26 minutes ago, SC22 said:
33 minutes ago, amazingspiderfan said:

Intense ''1st'' post......

You may actually learn a thing or two from those that really do know about the book.