• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Boris Karloff Thriller #1 (1962)

15 posts in this topic

I don't like to be a spoiler here, but that top edge looks fishy. If you take that first scan, scroll the picture to the bottom of your screen, and then compare the line on your toolbar to that top edge, it looks like it was cut with grass shears.

Hope that's not the case, but I've nailed a few books that were trimmed on the top edge.

I don't like to be a spoiler here, but that top edge looks fishy. If you take that first scan, scroll the picture to the bottom of your screen, and then compare the line on your toolbar to that top edge, it looks like it was cut with grass shears.

Hope that's not the case, but I've nailed a few books that were trimmed on the top edge.

Not a chance! Roger is the original owner! When he says to restoration he means no restoration! smiley-gen130.gif

I don't see where he posted he's the original owner. Anyway, that top edge is not straight, regardless.

Oh it goes back to Roger's original post! He was posting a large group of his original collection bought when he was a youngin'! He doesn't mention it in each of his posts but he is the original owner!smiley-gen130.gif

Dang! I leave for a few hours and look what happens! :D

Yes, all mine are original owner from when I was a wee sprout.

What you're seeing there, Doc, is an effect created by the camera. When I take closeups of my books with the camera on the "micro" setting, it gives all the straight edges a slight "bowl" effect. It looks bent, but if I put a ruler in the pic, that will look bent too! I don't see any way to avoid it. Sharp eye, though, Doc. You're the first to mention it.

Thanks again, everyone!

Dang! I leave for a few hours and look what happens! :D

Yes, all mine are original owner from when I was a wee sprout.

What you're seeing there, Doc, is an effect created by the camera. When I take closeups of my books with the camera on the "micro" setting, it gives all the straight edges a slight "bowl" effect. It looks bent, but if I put a ruler in the pic, that will look bent too! I don't see any way to avoid it. Sharp eye, though, Doc. You're the first to mention it.

Thanks again, everyone!

This is why scans are much better than micro pics or any other photos.

Well, by looking from the scans it looks trimmed, but then we had no info that this was an original owner book, and the pics make it look bent.

It reminds me of the Bijou #1 or the Feds n Heads #1 ( I can't remember which ) underground book that was hand trimmed with scissors after they were stapled.

Did someone say R. Crumb? Love that boy. I happen to have some first editions of the first few Zaps and some others of that era. Unfortunately I don't believe there's anything that identifies them as first editions or distinguishes them from later prints. I don't know, though. I have to look into that one of these days...

After I do two or three thousand other things.

Here's a link that can help you identify undergrounds. We also have some experts on here that can help.

http://www.ugcomix.info/guide/index.html

I had to pull my Feds n Heads out. It was the Bijou's that had the 1/4" overhang on all three edges and looks like they were trimmed with a hatchet. My understanding from talking to the experts here was they were hand trimmed in someones basement after they were put together.

fedsnheds001.jpg