• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bagging and boarding Modern Comics

41 posts in this topic

I (still being relatively new) looked throughout the forums on some advice on bagging and boarding modern comics but came up a tad short. From the size aspect (width), what do you guys recommend for bagging and boarding your moderns in? I have modern B&B's and they seem just a tad to tight, and prone to corner smashing. I do remember talking to someone and they said use Silver age B&B's, but I though I would bounce it off the masses.

Be gentle and thanks!

-Brian

Sounds good. But just for clarification...if I was to lets say order from comicsupply, would I order "Current Size" or "Regular size"? What are the difference in sizings? Granted the main goal is to protect the corners. The B&B's that I have now are moderns and seem like they are running dangerously close to corner disaster.

-Brian

I hate using modern or current size bags and boards because they are too snug. Every time you try to remove a modern book from one of these snug bags you risk doing more damage to the book - you have to pull the book out, and risk causing damage (when one or two of my books end up with finger smudges at the top, or indentations from where I had to pull the book out then that's more than enough IMO). Plus, if the book is too snug, then there is the risk of causing additional spine bends when attempting to remove the book from the bag.

For those reasons I stick to silver size bags and boards.

hardky a cooper/modern book (even double sized) on a bag and boarded will not slide off the bag...no need for silver age for this kind of situation.

more, since silver age will let "a lot" of free space around the book, will prevent to have more "air exposure" (aging faster) and possible bumping around (small corner creases).

As of about 6 months ago I started using silver age sized bags and boards for my modern books. I put 2 books per bag/board, and I was noticing the modern sized stuff was getting small enough that fitting 2 in wasn't easy.

Also means I'm only buying 1 size bag and board so I'm not left standing in front of the supplies at the store trying to remember which I need.

hardky a cooper/modern book (even double sized) on a bag and boarded will not slide off the bag...no need for silver age for this kind of situation.

more, since silver age will let "a lot" of free space around the book, will prevent to have more "air exposure" (aging faster) and possible bumping around (small corner creases).

I've been collecting for over 25 years, and I've never had "air exposure" or "shaken bagged comic syndrome" problems with silver size bags and boards.

Hmm, so Silver Age B&B's huh? I thought the modern stuff was a bit to snug as well. Hmmm, well...

-Brian

Trust me, stick with the regular/standard sized bags and boards. Silver are too loose for current comics. Modern-size is too small.

Trust me, stick with the regular/standard sized bags and boards. Silver are too loose for current comics. Modern-size is too small.

Fine if you have access to "regular" sized bags. And I HATE resealable bags. Get the non-resealable ones, tape them shut and remove the tape when you are removing the comics. Resealable flaps can stick to and damage the books when removing.

Most of the stores I deal with carry ULTRA PRO bags, and they have current size: ( 6 -7/8" x 10-1/2" )

currbags.gif

and Silver Size ( 7 -1/4" x 10-1/2" ):

sabags.gif

There is no "regular" size in between.

Fine if you have access to "regular" sized bags. And I HATE resealable bags. Get the non-resealable ones, tape them shut and remove the tape when you are removing the comics. Resealable flaps can stick to and damage the books when removing.

Most of the stores I deal with carry ULTRA PRO bags, and they have current size: ( 6 -7/8" x 10-1/2" )

currbags.gif

sabags.gif

No Tape!!! sumo.gif

615308-Tape%20Monster.jpg

currbags.gif

sabags.gif

I have never used nor seen Ultra Pro bags, so I can't tell if they are suitable or not. Most of the comic shops here in Los Angeles use a generic bags they get from their distributor. They carry several sizes. The smallest being current. The next size being standard. Then silver and golden age bags.