• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Value Stamp

12 posts in this topic

Series A 1974

I know, I know, two consecutive journals in the same day...sorry, couldnt help myself. The subject is related to my last journal, but needed its own space. So I was looking through the ads of an old Bronze Age book the other day, Captain America 172 to be exact, and saw something I had seen many times before but never gave it much thought. Im talking about those Marvel Value Stamps. We all try to be wary of buying a book thats missing the stamp as it completely devalues the book, but they do look kind of cool.

Although I cant imagine ever cutting one out, Marvel sure did push the idea with their promotion...This is it! Your MARVEL VALUE STAMP for this issue! Clip em and Collect em!

Yeah, no thanks. I will keep my books in one piece thank you. At least when people peel off the Digital Copy sticker from todays books they get something out of it. With the stamps all you got was bunch of clippings of pictures you could put in a folder.

While the stamps would be fun to collect, lets keep them IN the book. Hey come to think of it, this would be a really cool idea for a CGC set...Marvel Value Stamps. A quick search on the Internet and I found a site that has all of the stamps listed with pictures and the books they came from...Im telling you, some people have way too much time on their hands. There are 100 issues in all for the first series...a worthy collecting goal. For more info on the stamps, check out the website www.mvstamps.com

Til next time...

15048.jpg

See more journals by surfer99

Wow, went all through that one and I think read that they had multiple series with the same stamp in it which totaled Series A or 1 at over 300 issues. The the second one had 99 issues with one having a double stamp. Would be awesome to see someone complete this requested set but even better if the photos included each stamp from here.

I did find it odd that out of every comic throughout both series of stamps only a single X-Men book was ever included.

This brings back some fond memories!

In 2006 the USPS issued a set of real Marvel Stamps. I still have mine and I asked the CGC if I could get such a thing graded and encapsulated and they said yes. So I was thinking of getting some signatures especially Stan Lee's so it's been on my To Do list but other comics just keep getting priority.

2 journals in one day is awesome! Keep it coming!

SW3D

I did find it odd that out of every comic throughout both series of stamps only a single X-Men book was ever included.

Yeah, it makes sense when you think about it for the first set, Series A. That was 1974 when the X-men was all reprints. The title wasn't selling so Marvel was instead pushing their other books with new stories. Not sure why more stamps weren't included in the second set though, Series B. Like you mentioned, the only one there was issue #97 from Feb 1976.

SW3D, sometimes I think of these things and want to share them in a journal, but I don't always have time or I forget. Just happened to get out of my head at like 1am this morning. I do try to share when I can. :)

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

Although a different stamp, your post reminded me of this in '76. Who remembers these?

The "Gold Mint Commemorative" were apparently the hardest to come by?

The only one I am missing in the album is the Thor 'Gold Mint".

If anyone has this stamp and willing to sell, I'm ready to buy, so PM me!

MarvelSuperHeroStampAlbum001.jpg

MarvelComicsStamppage_zpseaeb30c4.jpg

stampalbumthorpage2.jpg

stampalbumthorpage.jpg

Although a different stamp, your post reminded me of this in '76. Who remembers these?

stampalbumthorpage.jpg

:headbang:

5e2a36e61070eb0f96caf1a562159391_zps6bce89a6.jpg[/img]

stampalbumthorpage.jpg

:headbang:

5e2a36e61070eb0f96caf1a562159391_zps6bce89a6.jpg[/img]

:applause: (thumbs u