• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers 17, how does the writing affect the grade?

20 posts in this topic

Alright folks, got a nice (i Think) Avengers 17. Nice solid book, that has good corners, solid spine, and a dust shadow. Now, also, if you look at the back cover, you can see that there is writing on the inside back cover that is vsible on the back cover. Some guys name with a telephone number. How will this affect the grade? It is on the back page, but it still should be considered a defect correct?

Anyway, advice and opinions on grades are appreciated. I dont reall want to hazard a guess, but I think that 8.0 is reasonable.

Avengers17Front.jpg

Avengers17Back.jpg

893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think you're looking at better than an 8.0. Maybe a 9.0. 8.5 at the worst. Beauty of a book!

To answer your specific question, I think the writing would affect the grade at most one level, or perhaps not at all because it is on the interior.

I think you're looking at better than an 8.0. Maybe a 9.0. 8.5 at the worst. Beauty of a book!

To answer your specific question, I think the writing would affect the grade at most one level, or perhaps not at all because it is on the interior.

I've got an absolutely gorgeous copy of ASM #59 whose only graders' note is "Name written on last page in ink" = CGC 8.0 off-white pages. It looks nicer than your Avengers (with all due respect) and has $5.00 written in pencil at the top of the back cover. It doesn't have any dust shadows or staining (REBC below LS).

Writing is a purely subjective call, but from what I've seen, full names in ink anywhere in the book are going to prevent anything from grading above 8.0. The OGG clearly allows dates, initials and store stamps in 8.0, but only dates, stamps and initials at 9.0 and "small inconspicuous dates/initials" at 9.2 and higher.

8.0/8.5

I think that tan/cream toning along the spine will hurt the value more than any inside writing.

CGC won't even downgrade for it at that level. I've seen 9.4s with worse tanning than that.

I've got an absolutely gorgeous copy of ASM #59 whose only graders' note is "Name written on last page in ink" = CGC 8.0 off-white pages. It looks nicer than your Avengers (with all due respect) and has $5.00 written in pencil at the top of the back cover. It doesn't have any dust shadows or staining (REBC below LS).

Writing is a purely subjective call, but from what I've seen, full names in ink anywhere in the book are going to prevent anything from grading above 8.0. The OGG clearly allows dates, initials and store stamps in 8.0, but only dates, stamps and initials at 9.0 and "small inconspicuous dates/initials" at 9.2 and higher.

On page 129 (I think) it says that they suggest that original owner names and creator signatures should not be downgraded below 9.9.

Can you post a scan of the #59 for comparison's sake?

8.0/8.5

I think that tan/cream toning along the spine will hurt the value more than any inside writing.

CGC won't even downgrade for it at that level. I've seen 9.4s with worse tanning than that.

Probably not the numeric grade, but it should show up as Cream to OW or Light Tan to OW pages and that will hurt the value.

8.0/8.5

Probably not the numeric grade, but it should show up as Cream to OW or Light Tan to OW pages and that will hurt the value.

Not true. Tanning of the cover does not always, or even all that frequently, mean that interior page quality will go below OW. Didn't Nikos have a couple of books in the grading contest showing that?

It's page 130 - man you're good! It's in the context of a 10.0 discussion which by inference would allow interior signatures up to 9.9? I think not . . .

If that's so, then my point is moot, and you can see the ASM #59 in December. hi.gif

8.0/8.5

Not true. Tanning of the cover does not always, or even all that frequently, mean that interior page quality will go below OW. Didn't Nikos have a couple of books in the grading contest showing that?

Yep...

I've even seen a few with some toning or light sun shadows get white pages.

8.0/8.5

Yep...

I've even seen a few with some toning or light sun shadows get white pages.

Me too. It's weird, and you'd think that the interior paper (newsprint) would darken faster than the cover, but it just doesn't always happen that way. Of course, then there are those books with C-OW pages that have covers with zero tanning. confused-smiley-013.gif

i'm thinking this is an 8.5. corners are a wee bit soft, there's that toning and unfortunately even though the writing is on the interior, it "peeks" through the back cover.

but, hey, i LOVE CGC 8.5's thumbsup2.gif

here's a nice graded example - i always loved the colors on this cover;

1099702933823_thor_112_001.jpg

i'm thinking this is an 8.5. corners are a wee bit soft, there's that toning and unfortunately even though the writing is on the interior, it "peeks" through the back cover.

but, hey, i LOVE CGC 8.5's thumbsup2.gif

here's a nice graded example - i always loved the colors on this cover;

1099702933823_thor_112_001.jpg

And I love SHOW-OFFS!!! Great book! cloud9.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

On the other hand, there's a Sensation 1 in CGC 9.4 that has a person's name very prominently written on the front cover... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think that writing is problematic in part because it sounds as though it was done hard enough to 'indent' the paper? If it was lightly written it probably wouldn't be visible from through the back cover.

As it is, I'd say that book's a blue-label 8.5, or a qualified 9.0