• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are some good non-superhero titles? I'm a bit clueless...

43 posts in this topic

Sandman

Lucifer

East of west

Saga

Criminal

Sin city

Metabarons

Akira (classic!)

Y the last man

DMZ

Hellboy/BPRD

American vampire

Concrete

30 days of night

Girls (luna brothers)

I love your taste in books. Agree with every single one, but I woudl also add Locke & Key. One of the best moderns I've read.

A big thank you to everyone for their input! YTLM seems to be a popular choice so I'll go ahead and start with that one and add everything else to the list. Thanks!

Ignore them... they are all heavily into My Little Pony start with Preacher.

hahaha...I recently read something about this particular title getting a TV adaption. I'll definitely be checking this one out as well.

L&K is great. Some really good horror.

Manhattan Projects is awesome.

Preacher is classic.

100 Bullets is fantastic (although it lost some steam at the end).

Fables

Sandman

Swamp Thing (Alan Moore)

Planetary is the all time greatest, but it is a sort-of superhero.

Another one that you don't hear a lot about but I enjoyed is Northlanders.

One of the nice things about it is that each arc was truly stand-alone. So you can read the trades in any order.

The Invisibles is a must read as well.

Sandman

Lucifer

East of west

Saga

Criminal

Sin city

Metabarons

Akira (classic!)

Y the last man

DMZ

Hellboy/BPRD

American vampire

Concrete

30 days of night

Girls (luna brothers)

I was going to ask why no love for LUCIFER until I saw your post.

Mike Carey did a spectacular job plotting this out. It may not be caught on your initial read, but one subsequent reads you can see the seeds he's planting early on (18-24 months or more) that come to fruition later on.

Let me also add SANDMAN MYSTERY THEATRE :golfclap:

Another one that you don't hear a lot about but I enjoyed is Northlanders.

One of the nice things about it is that each arc was truly stand-alone. So you can read the trades in any order.

The Invisibles is a must read as well.

Completely agree on The Invisibles. I also like The Filth, weird but good.

Wow only 1 boardie listed WD and I know there are a few more WD fans in this thread that didn't post that. I'm disappointed.

Walking Dead

The Sixth Gun

East of West

Those are my pics OP. Good luck, there's a lot of good non-superhero books out there. (thumbs u

The others read his first post

:roflmao:

Clone: a lot of plot jammed into each comic. It's written by David Schulner (television writer & creator). Many suspect it was first written as a television -script.

Many complain about the art but I think the art is good in that it's easy to distinguish one clone from another (all clones can be identified by a large birth mark on their face & you can differentiate one clone from another from their clothes).

Scalped mentioned already in this thread but the book is terrific if you want Crime Drama

Severed 7 issue horror mini series written by Scott Snyder. I see it as a mix between Friday the 13th and What's Eating Gilbert Grape.

Yes! What's Eating Gilbert Grape. That movie and Severed did a terrific job in (1) describing/showing the scenery and (2) there's so many little things that are connected in the dialog & plot.

Sheltered tale related to the Apocalypse (the author calls it a pre-apocalyptic tale which is confusing because aren't all tales pre-apocalyptic?).

It has similarities with all Apocalypse tales including the upcoming movie called After the Dark (which is scored by Jonathan Davis of KoRn).

Forgot Manhattan Projects (worship)

I'm only three issues deep in the trades I just got and I'm absolutely loving MP!!! Hickman's portrayal of Einstein is :roflmao: and badass so far.

"Let me brush ze teeth and then we will leave." *drinks whiskey* "Okay. Now we go."