• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Pedigree Hierarchy?

222 posts in this topic

:gossip: .... you left Northland off the list.... and they are terribly fantastic. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. Western Penn's and Curators are the two that usually seem to rise to the top in these types of discussions..... but I've never seen either in the flesh.

Curator

Massachusets

Pacific coast

Many knowledgeable GA collectors consider them the whitest and freshest GA books in existence, perhaps only matched or exceeded by the Salidas.

But they`re not really a silver age pedigree.

The Twin Cities collection is indeed gorgeous. To my eye, the Marvels trail only the Pacific Coast and Curator collections in overall consistent quality, and are roughly on par with the Massachusetts collection. I attended the NYC Heritage auction that brought the collection to market in 2011, and met Gary Dahlberg's surviving family there. It was a special, bittersweet day for the family. The collection as a whole was awesome, and that day alone raised over a million dollars for the heirs.

ST107TC.jpg

There are quite a few Twin Cities in the August Heritage auction coming up.

The Twin Cities collection is indeed gorgeous. To my eye, the Marvels trail only the Pacific Coast and Curator collections in overall consistent quality, and are roughly on par with the Massachusetts collection. I attended the NYC Heritage auction that brought the collection to market in 2011, and met Gary Dahlberg's surviving family there. It was a special, bittersweet day for the family. The collection as a whole was awesome, and that day alone raised over a million dollars for the heirs.

ST107TC.jpg

I'm working on an all pedigree Kirby FF run and so far have books from: Twin Cities, Circle 8 (former ped, but great book), Boston, Green River, Suscha News, White Mountain, Savannah, Pacific Coast, and Curator.

I have 7 Twin Cities books and 6 Curators. Both are comparable and neither is shockingly "bone white". The best of what I have is probably Pacific Coast.

What we really need to do is create a side-by-side comparison of the same book from different peds. Anyone have any pedigreed FFs? Would love to compare mine to others.

ST107TC.jpg

I'm working on an all pedigree Kirby FF run and so far have books from: Twin Cities, Circle 8 (former ped, but great book), Boston, Green River, Suscha News, White Mountain, Savannah, Pacific Coast, and Curator.

I have 7 Twin Cities books and 6 Curators. Both are comparable and neither is shockingly "bone white". The best of what I have is probably Pacific Coast.

What we really need to do is create a side-by-side comparison of the same book from different peds. Anyone have any pedigreed FFs? Would love to compare mine to others.

Unless the same person were to scan both books, the comparison might not mean a whole lot, at least with respect to gauging how deep the colors are or how white the white areas of the cover are, as most scanner settings vary greatly, and even if both boardies have the same scanners, they may have different scanner settings set up. 2c

Anyone have any pedigreed FFs? Would love to compare mine to others.

I have about 30. Problem with such a comparison would be that the scanning would be done under different conditions, and so wouldn't work.

Here's the type of comparison that can be done using the same scanner to scan a pedigree (the Curator on the right) and non-pedigree copy (on the left):

FF26comparison-1.jpg

Yep, too true. Would be nice to meet up at a con or something and compare books side by side in real life.

I have met with other collectors to compare peds and it's very helpful to have the books side by side in the same light being viewed by more than person so that you have confidence in the assessment. All my comparisons have been done with raw books which provides much better accuracy and allows page quality to be compared.

Anyone have any pedigreed FFs? Would love to compare mine to others.

I have about 30. Problem with such a comparison would be that the scanning would be done under different conditions, and so wouldn't work.

Here's the type of comparison that can be done using the same scanner to scan a pedigree (the Curator on the right) and non-pedigree copy (on the left):

FF26comparison-1.jpg

Great comparison. What are the grades of the two books?

If it's grades you want to compare, then nothing will top the Pacific Coast pedigree for breadth of ultra high grade. If it's eye appeal you want to compare, then the CGC numerical grades don't matter and the Curator pedigree would rank at least along side the Pac Coast.

If it's grades you want to compare, then nothing will top the Pacific Coast pedigree for breadth of ultra high grade. If it's eye appeal you want to compare, then the CGC numerical grades don't matter and the Curator pedigree would rank at least along side the Pac Coast.

Was just curious between the two books. If the Curator was a 9.2 and the other an 8.5, etc. I'm scanning some of mine now. Definitely an interesting comparison.

Here are a few comparisons between peds and my normal copies. Maybe ped quality is overrated. (shrug)

6.5 OW-W on the left. vs. Twin Cities 9.2 OW-W on the right.

21_zps2fd502f2.jpg

8.0 OW-W on the left. vs. Pacific 9.4 OW on the right.

77_zps7a6e172a.jpg

7.0 OW-W on the left. vs. Boston 9.4 OW-W on the right.

61_zpsf7f90f62.jpg

Check out the Vancouver collection, pristine pages.

No doubt. Too bad there weren't more comic collectors in the Klondike in the 40s. :insane:

Back in 1993, I was passing through White Horse of all places, and happened to see a comic store which was run by a deaf mute guy (his young son did the talking for him) and ended up picking up some really nice mid-1960s DCs that came from a collection that had been accumulated there. Very fresh books with unbelievably white pages.

Unfortunately I had just graduated from law school and could barely scrape together the money for even my meager purchase. I so wish I had had the money to clean the guy out.

Tim;

Late to this thread, but a thought came to my mind as I was reading your post.

Since you just graduated from law school, you probably should have just used credit as the credit card companies should have been sending you tons of credit card applications to sign up for. They like to catch the big spenders as they are just starting out.

After all, this was how Dave was able to acquire much of his Church run after just graduating from dental school. hm

Here are a few comparisons between peds and my normal copies. Maybe ped quality is overrated. (shrug)

6.5 OW-W on the left. vs. Twin Cities 9.2 OW-W on the right.

21_zps2fd502f2.jpg

The two comics can't be compared, as the scanner appears to be doing some auto-adjusting of the images, as evidenced by differences in the blue backgrounds.

8.0 OW-W on the left. vs. Pacific 9.4 OW on the right.

77_zps7a6e172a.jpg

I thought it was always call the pedigree bump by CGC. hm

The side-by-side eyeball comparison doesn't reveal much either, even with my Curators, but mainly because the Curators I own (like FF 87) don't have a lot of white on the cover.

The book that does pop in person is the Pacific Coast copy. But not by much.

Late SA and BA comics aren't likely to show that much of a difference in cover paper preservation and color inks, but in my experience it's the early to mid SA and older books that shine (literally) in the finest pedigree collections.

Having attended the Heritage auctions for the Twin Cities pedigree and a year later the Curator FFs, I can attest to the extraordinary quality of the comics in these two collections. For instance, in the Curator auction I compared side by side two NM copies of FF#31 that sports a jet black background. The Curator copy looked miles brighter and richer than the other, so much so that Ed Jaster walked by and commented about how the Curator example 'popped'. Others who've seen Curator books from the early to mid sixties have noted and commented on this, too.

Some of the early SA Massachusetts books have exceptional white paper stock and rich cover inks as well.