• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Metropolis comics & how they grade

107 posts in this topic

Metropolis Comics seems to be way off when it comes to grading their books. I get they're a company and want to make money, but listing a book with more than one color breaking dent as a 9.6-9.8 is insane. I bought 25 raw books cost me around $100 after shipping which isn't that bad. I received the books today and in going through the books(most were listed as 9.6 A few were 9.8) I see some of the 9.6 look more like 9.2 at best and some of the 9.8 look 9.4 or lower.

Without the spine breaks a lot of these books would have been 9.8 easy.

They look solid until you notice the color breaks on the spine and the scratches on the black covers. I'm sure I could send them in and have CGC prescreen them and maybe get 1 or 2 back 9.8. In the end it's really not worth it. If I had seen these books at my LCS I wouldn't have bought them. To be honest i've had much better luck on EBAY when it comes buying RAW books. Heres a pic of a book they graded 9.8.

orihyu.jpg2cs78zm.jpg

2ibl1xj.jpg2r3bgcw.jpg

121r0jd.jpg

I could be wrong but to me this doesn't look like any 9.8 I've ever seen

Does this look like a 9.8 to anyone?

Their customer service is top notch. I emailed them and they addressed the issue fast and for that i'm satisfied. From now on i'll be more careful when buying high grade raw on line

9.8 is such a dangerous notation. I agree, those do not look like 9.8s. It might be a stretch to call it a 9.6 with that corner and those ticks (if the span across the spine front to back and there are the typical black cover scratches - 9.4 at best, IMHO)

I'm just Joe Schmoe, but for me - a 9.8 is perceptibly flawless. Not one ding, not one blunt. And it goes downhill from there.

I'd be a bit irritated, too. That's a pretty big miss.

I can accept some variance when someone says it's a 9.4 or 9.6, but when you say "9.8" I'm expecting a virtually flawless book. 2c

Does this look like a 9.8 to anyone?

Apparently Metro thinks it is.

"grading is speculative" - Gerry Ross

I know grading differs from person to person

But no one in their right mind would believe that book would get a 9.8

The color breaks on the spine makes it anything but

and like someone else said the scratches on the back drop it down

They're a repatriable company. I've bought a lot of books from comic connect.

I just think this time they dropped the ball.

I'll still buy CGC from them, but i'll think twice before I gamble on their high grade raw books

9.8 is such a dangerous notation. I agree, those do not look like 9.8s. It might be a stretch to call it a 9.6 with that corner and those ticks (if the span across the spine front to back and there are the typical black cover scratches - 9.4 at best, IMHO)

I'm just Joe Schmoe, but for me - a 9.8 is perceptibly flawless. Not one ding, not one blunt. And it goes downhill from there.

I'd be a bit irritated, too. That's a pretty big miss.

I can accept some variance when someone says it's a 9.4 or 9.6, but when you say "9.8" I'm expecting a virtually flawless book. 2c

+1

I agree completely.

If 9.6-9.8 grade is so important to you, then you are an insufficiently_thoughtful_person to buy RAW. Only a fool would buy a NM+ raw comic with guaranteed expectations that CGC would also designate a 9.6-9.8

Metropolis Comics seems to be way off when it comes to grading their books. I get they're a company and want to make money, but listing a book with more than one color breaking dent as a 9.6-9.8 is insane. Does this look like a 9.8 to anyone?

Metro offers a full refund on they're book. Just send them back.

thats what i'm doing. I kept two and sent the rest back

You ordered 25 books, and you're only keeping 2 of them? hm

Good luck buying from them or ComicConnect ever again. lol

Metro offers a full refund on they're book. Just send them back.

thats what i'm doing. I kept two and sent the rest back

You ordered 25 books, and you're only keeping 2 of them? hm

Good luck buying from them or ComicConnect ever again. lol

Like someone else said they offer a full refund if you're not satisfied with the book

I kept the two best books, no color breaks on the spine

Just about evey other book had color breaks on the spine. I have one or two 9.8 that have tiny dents in the spine but they don't break color.

I really don't see why I wouldn't be able to buy books on the site agin. I just won't buy RAW books from them

If 9.6-9.8 grade is so important to you, then you are an insufficiently_thoughtful_person to buy RAW. Only a fool would buy a NM+ raw comic with guaranteed expectations that CGC would also designate a 9.6-9.8
Metropolis Comics seems to be way off when it comes to grading their books. I get they're a company and want to make money, but listing a book with more than one color breaking dent as a 9.6-9.8 is insane. Does this look like a 9.8 to anyone?

I never said CGC automatically grades books someone bought advertised as "9.6-9.8" the grades the book was advertised as.

I just expect a book thats supposed to be a 9.8 not to have any color breaks

Color breaks just like finger prints can drop a book that without it would surely get a 9.8 to a 9.4 or lower

I can live with a few non color breaking dents, something a press could fix ,but not one or more color breaks

Metro takes their customer service very seriously..... if you approach them in a civil manner (which I'm sure you would) ..... they may be able to swap your books out for nicer ones. I've never tried to purchase a raw 9.8 through the mail and some damage may occur in transit. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Metro takes their customer service very seriously..... if you approach them in a civil manner (which I'm sure you would) ..... they may be able to swap your books out for nicer ones. I've never tried to purchase a raw 9.8 through the mail and some damage may occur in transit. GOD BLESS...

Jessica the lady who does all the orders is really nice

I wasn't rude to them I sent her an email explaining what happened and she got back to me super fast. They shipped the books really well so I don't think it was transit damage. It probably wasn't metro per say that listed the books it might have been a 3rd party I bought the books from which would make sense. I like the company. I've bought a lot of CGC books from them at good prices. I just had a bad experience with the raws. I've bought a few books advertised as 9.8 on ebay and when I got them they truly looked like they could be 9.8. Now that doesn't always happen but i've had it happen a few times. Same with the boards Ive bought a few really nice books off some board members when I got the book it was just as described

When it comes to the net and buying raw you win some and you loose some :preach:

Jessica the lady who does all the orders is really nice

I wasn't rude to them I sent her an email explaining what happened and she got back to me super fast. They shipped the books really well so I don't think it was transit damage. It probably wasn't metro per say that listed the books it might have been a 3rd party I bought the books from which would make sense. I like the company. I've bought a lot of CGC books from them at good prices. I just had a bad experience with the raws. I've bought a few books advertised as 9.8 on ebay and when I got them they truly looked like they could be 9.8. Now that doesn't always happen but i've had it happen a few times. Same with the boards Ive bought a few really nice books off some board members when I got the book it was just as described

When it comes to the net and buying raw you win some and you loose some :preach:

.... Amen, brother..... and either way, you still get some cool comics :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

all that said:

seems to me being "tighter" in grading from the get go would eliminate a lot of the returns and create a higher quality transaction for both the buyer and the seller.

Just my opinion.