• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

In this new age of speculation...

87 posts in this topic

what will the be the book that is a regrettable hallmark example of this frenzy

like Jim Lee's X-men 1 and Spawn 1 from the 90's. Where basically people will

be saying "I can't believe collectors paid so much for that then"...

Avengers 55?

Iron Man 55?

Hulk 271?

FF 52?

TTA 13?

Marvel Super-heores 18?

Marvel Super-heores 13?

X-factor 6?

Thor 165?

Strange tales 135?

Hero for Hire 1?

Captain America 117?

Sgt Fury 5?

New Mutants 98?

other?...

hm

These are all older comics. X-Men #1 and Spawn #1 were instant hits that people were paying crazy money for just a few months after release, so I wouldn't say any of these are comparable. I'd say it's going to either be an Image #1 or one of the ridiculous "first appearances" that is just an ad or preview in the back of a comic.

Or any number of chase variants. Maybe in 20 years collectors will be saying "I can't believe people paid hundreds of dollars over cover price for a brand new comic because it had a special cover!"

Or any number of chase variants. Maybe in 20 years collectors will be saying "I can't believe people paid hundreds of dollars over cover price for a brand new comic because it had a special cover!"

lol, they already said that in the 90's.

Very Interesting about longevity. I am a collector/flipper and know when to hold em, know when to fold em.

The deal is if you overpaid on any of these and are worried about them falling in value, THEY WILL FALL IN VALUE rantrant

As fragile as comic collecting/speculating is, buy low and sell high doh!

I have bought and sold many of he aformentioned books and made the mistake of getting back in higher on really only one so far. All of the others were profitable when the public is willing to pay retail for what so many of you have deemed unsustainable.

It still doesnt mean you can't do well with one off titles...you can, just be nimble and realistic.

Groot, racoon, GOTG saw a spike and level off already...I sold a MSH 18 for 240 mid grade which I bough for 99. If you look now, whoever top ticked the market on that one may have to sell at a loss.

I'm on the fence about spiderman 41...seems like they are coming down, but may have one more spike as the commercials start to hit up.

What do you think?

Jonah

Marvel Super-heores 13? – I don’t see the value here either.

This book will make sense in another year or two. For starters, it's a tough book to find in HG either because it's still languishing in obscurity in people's attics or it's just a generally hammered book. There are 10 low grade beaters of this book to every FN or better. It's too early to tell if it's a legitimately tough book or just not widely known yet so the average collector hasn't noticed it yet.

Secondly, the instant DC has some traction on Wonder Woman in a film, Marvel will be pushing their super-strong female heroine of the MU. I'm a little surprised that Marvel hasn't done anything with Ms. Marvel, but they will at some point. And that's when the speculation will pay off for this book. It's a little farther out than, say, Black Panther or Hero For Hire - but it's a smart book to speculate on consdering that out of all the books on that list, the only other condition-sensitive issue is TTA 13.

Avengers 55?

Iron Man 55?

Hulk 271?

FF 52?

TTA 13?

Marvel Super-heores 18?

Marvel Super-heores 13?

X-factor 6?

Thor 165?

Strange tales 135?

Hero for Hire 1?

Captain America 117?

Sgt Fury 5?

New Mutants 98?

other?...

hm

wow, the above books had a million print runs huh???

dang I never knew they printed one million copies of Fantastic Four 52....

Avengers 55? Junk

Iron Man 55? Thanos has always been popular

Hulk 271? speculation

FF 52? Major Chracter

TTA 13?

Marvel Super-heores 18?

Marvel Super-heores 13?

X-factor 6?

Thor 165?

Strange tales 135? Major Character

Hero for Hire 1? If this is here why isnt DD1?

Captain America 117? Major Character

Sgt Fury 5? Major Character

New Mutants 98? You cant be serious, the book is sitting where it should

other?...

hm