• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Hierarchy of Characters - Where Does Your Favorite Character Stack Up

174 posts in this topic

It's difficult to assign characters when the criteria is unknown. Are we talking about simply popularity, or their affect on their respective worlds. Also I'm assuming that first tier is a really exclusive list so maybe even Thor wouldn't qualify

That said:

1st: Spidey, Bats, Superman and Wolverine, Wonder Woman

2nd: Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Ms. Marvel, Fantastic Four

3rd: Black Panther, Robin, Catwoman

4th: Silver Surfer, Dr. Strange, Zatanna, Cyborg

?????

:o Hulk,Thor,Fantastic Four and Green Lantern 2nd tier? I think not!

Green Lantern is not even close to being top tier. Arguments can be made for the others.

It's difficult to assign characters when the criteria is unknown. Are we talking about simply popularity, or their affect on their respective worlds. Also I'm assuming that first tier is a really exclusive list so maybe even Thor wouldn't qualify

That said:

2nd: Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Ms. Marvel, Fantastic Four

?????

Green Lantern is not even close to being top tier. Arguments can be made for the others.

:o

What, no love for my guy Daredevil? Not even a mention? His stock has been rising since Frank Miller and rose even higher thanks to Bendis/Maleev.

He's got to be Tier 2 in my mind, even with the negativity about the movie. I think Netflix will float his 'brand' even higher.

If the character were a stock, I'd say he's a buy.

+1

DD is definitely 2nd tier.

There is no way, in this day and age, that Daredevil is in the same tier as Iron Man. I would put DD in 2nd tier if Iron Man is in 1st. And this is coming from a huge DD fan who doesn't care much for Iron Man.

Based on present-day popularity and relevance, and obviously not comprehensive:

1st - Superman, Spider-Man, Batman, Wolverine

2nd - Hulk, Iron Man, Cap, Deadpool, Wonder Woman, Thor, Green Lantern

3rd - Daredevil, Punisher, Flash, Deathstroke and about a bajillion others.

That said:

?????

nice im down with my boy green arrow being second tier

What, no love for my guy Daredevil? Not even a mention? His stock has been rising since Frank Miller and rose even higher thanks to Bendis/Maleev.

He's got to be Tier 2 in my mind, even with the negativity about the movie. I think Netflix will float his 'brand' even higher.

I'd say DD is 1st tier.

Growing up, it seemed to me there were the "main 9" titles: Avengers, Captain America, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, Hulk, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Thor, and X-Men.

Excluding the groups, I'd say the 6 single characters were Marvel core, therefore 1st tier.

I agree with tier 2 (sorry Justin)

Sticking to the Marvel Universe, I'd make the following rankings based on both comic and movie importance and recognisability.

1st tier - Spidey, Wolverine, Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Hulk

2nd tier - Daredevil, Deadpool, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Fantastic Four

3rd tier - Black Panther, Silver Surfer, Dr Strange, Punisher

4th tier - Scarlet Witch, Iceman, Spider Woman, Night Crawler

I'd say DD is 1st tier.

Growing up, it seemed to me there were the "main 9" titles: Avengers, Captain America, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, Hulk, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Thor, and X-Men.

Excluding the groups, I'd say the 6 single characters were Marvel core, therefore 1st tier.

Right! (shrug)

Iron Man is hot because of the movie, and Marvel made the movie because other, more popular and intriguing, characters had rights bought by other studios. Including Daredevil.

Iron man has always been part of a larger group from his start -- including Tales of Suspense with Captain America and Avengers - - while Daredevil's mythos has always been all his own.

EVERYone knows: Superman, Batman & Robin, Spider-man, Wonder Woman

MOST know: e.g. Hulk, Wolverine, Iron Man, The Joker

General film fans: e.g. Captain America, Green Lantern, Flash, Hawkman, Spectre, Aquaman, Daredevil, Thor, Fantastic Four, X-Men (as a group), Judge Dredd

Hardcore comic fans: everyone else

That said:

?????

+1 first tier

There's a lot of ways one could evaluate a characters tier.

Impact on Comic Culture

" " Universe

" " Pop Culture (movies, merch, etc)

Demand for First Appearance in comic

Or you could base it strictly on super powers and such.

So many possibilities.

Iron Man is hot because of the movie, and Marvel made the movie because other, more popular and intriguing, characters had rights bought by other studios. Including Daredevil.

Iron man has always been part of a larger group from his start -- including Tales of Suspense with Captain America and Avengers - - while Daredevil's mythos has always been all his own.

Iron Man is awesome and I love him, but I think he's still 2nd tier (if I cheated I'd go 1.5 tier lol )

I was driving when Ryan first :baiting: me with this thread otherwise I would be definitely :blahblah: about DD. I'm with you! (thumbs u

And I would say 2nd Tier. And it only helps that argument that DD is the most popular book being sold by Marvel right now.

I think First Tier: Superman, Batman, Spider-man, Hulk and I'd even put Wolverine in their after the 90's overexposure and the movies.

Like Dr. Balls, I'm on the fence with Iron Man. Flash and Wonder Woman as well. I think if this were the 80's, WW would clearly be a First Tier, but for some reason I think she may have dropped. ( :eek: fears the wrath of DC fans)

Second Tier: Daredevil, Captain America, Thor, Green Lantern...

Silver Surfer is Third Tier. :sorry: Again, if it were the 70's or 80's - easily second tier!

Well, here's another IGN Top 100 to counter the Top 100 Supervillains discussed in another thread.

http://www.ign.com/top/comic-book-heroes

Based on present-day popularity and relevance, and obviously not comprehensive:

1st - Superman, Spider-Man, Batman, Wolverine

2nd - Hulk, Iron Man, Cap, Deadpool, Wonder Woman, Thor, Green Lantern

3rd - Daredevil, Punisher, Flash, Deathstroke and about a bajillion others.

No COI, NO! :ohnoez::cry:

I do see Daredevil as definitely the same tier as Flash, but I put them both in Tier 2.

And I wouldn't think GL would be higher than Flash, and I'm not even a DC fan. (shrug)

But they're definitely both higher than Punisher and Deathstroke. By leeps and bounds.