• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Prices! What's Up With The 80s? posted by bagofleas

22 posts in this topic

My oh my!

Ok, I've payed close attention to prices on graded comics. Lately, like in the last two months, I've seen a definite uptake in the prices 80s issues are selling for.

I'm not completely sure why this is. In some cases, I can only say its because of the Copper Age 1st appearances issues, which have skyrocketed in selling price lately. I saw a Captain America #354 from 1989 in 9.8 sell for $161!! I can only assume that this was because the issue was the 1st appearance of US Agent. But $161? Sheesh!

Other Cap issues with 1st appearances also sold for silly prices.

#253 9.8 - $105

#282 SS 9.8 - $154

#323 SS 9.8 - $116

Secret Wars #8 9.8 - $160!!!!

Longshot #1 9.8 - $155!!!!

MGN #4 9.8 - $536!!!!!

These are all Copper Age 1st appearance issues, but it still seems ridiculous to me. I got my 9.8 copy of Secret Wars 8 for $70. Two copies of MGN #4 for $200 and $250. I got my MGN Avengers Death Trap issue for $26 just last year, but another 9.8 copy just sold for $110. I've got a total of $95 in my MGN ASM parallel Lives with a sig from Saviuk (see pic below), but a universal 9.8 copy just sold for $164!

I don't know if I've just been lucky, or just managed to catch the market right before it went nutty!

Has anyone else been noticing big time upward prices on Copper Age issues lately?

15080.jpg

See more journals by bagofleas

Yes and I even noticed it on 90's era books as well. X-Force #2 and X-Force #11 are probably the most notable for me. X-Factor #6 took a huge jump from a year ago... thank you movies for that one, and Bishop's first appearance used to be considered typical 90's drivel is now an easy $100 graded and usually much more. Don't get me wrong its nice to see the uptick in enjoyment but I'm hoping prices comes down for collectors like me who aren't equipped to pay hundreds of dollars on stuff no one cared for until just recently.

it is a combination of both. The CGC marketplace is expanding. Imagine how cheaper these prices were five years ago. Now more people are starting to collect these. I imagine if more people collected the non key issues of the New mutants I would either be a lot further away from my current ranking or I would have payed a lot more. Eventually the prices will level, and then eventually will climb again. Thank god I only need two more.

I agree. Here's my copy of Bishops 1st appearance. I got it already in SS 9.8 for $52!!

p><p> Yep, can

And Tnerb, I do have to say that it is and will be an uphill battle completing my Set for the X-Force much like it is now for you with the two issues both you and your brother need. No matter every show I hit this year I'll keep a good eye out for possible candidates for the two of you with those two. Maybe even toss a few of them in with my pre-grade Set I am sending off next month.

hi!

This thread is very interesting...but in my opinion:

1. The "crazy" prices of copper age books are valid for very high grade books (9.8) only even if this price trend for 9.4 or higher books is correct.

2. Marvel books from the 80s are generally hard to find in high grade. Even uncirculated books have stress lines, bumped corners and press errors.

3. The number of top graded issues of 80s' Marvels is not so high and some people prefer to pay top prices instead of starting the submission&grading process by themselves...

If you read my journals you can understand how hard actually is to complete i.e. a Byrne Fantastic Four or a Simonson Thor run in CGC9.4 or higher!

http://comics.www.collectors-society.com/social/user-journals.aspx?peopleID=83273

Ciao!

Federico

It does seem that books are just jumping in price. It is funny how movies seem to be driving up certain books. I never really understood this. I've mentioned before how Batman Adventures 12 has skyrocketed. But I've also seen things like Transformers 1 going for over $200 in 9.8. It does make me regret not pulling the trigger on some of these books earlier.

I can only speak for SW8 on this. The key for that one is the new movie in development by Sony pictures. There are over 5,500 of those issues CGC'd out there and yet they still hold their value and from what I am experiencing, starting their upward trajectory.

I also helps to know that international demand is starting to heat up for the titles you mentioned. I have a buyer overseas and anything I traded for has been gobbled up quickly over there (UK)

:banana: That's my biggest title holding!

What about one off titles like Star Trek, Thing, and supergirl...NOT :makepoint:

They are worthless even in high grade!! Hold the winners...dump the losers :facepalm:

This is the last time that the rule of 25 is in play for the comics industry. All the kids that were born between about 1975 and 1985 or so are coming into their own financially. And they want what was hot when they were 10-12 years old. X-Books, Death of Superman, Vertigo, early Image all popping like crazy, when old dudes like me never thought they would.

This is the last generation of people that read, loved and experienced comics the way we all did. And they want their Copper and early Modern treasures in as high a grade as possible and they are willing to pay for it, and fight each other in auctions for it.

Enjoy it, because it will never happen again.

This is the last time that the rule of 25 is in play for the comics industry. All the kids that were born between about 1975 and 1985 or so are coming into their own financially. And they want what was hot when they were 10-12 years old. X-Books, Death of Superman, Vertigo, early Image all popping like crazy, when old dudes like me never thought they would.

This is the last generation of people that read, loved and experienced comics the way we all did. And they want their Copper and early Modern treasures in as high a grade as possible and they are willing to pay for it, and fight each other in auctions for it.

Enjoy it, because it will never happen again.

In terms of size of collectors, influence and sheer numbers, I agree. In terms of the concept, somewhere, there is a ten-fifteen year old who will be buying current books at high prices 20-25 years from now.

My Little Pony and Adventure Time?

I agree with Sean. I love the comics that I read as a kid. I look at more modern stuff and ignore it. The kids that bought stuff off of the newsstands/comic book shops in the early 90's can afford to play now. But, kids today don't collect comics the same way. When I was a kid, if I found a quarter lying on the ground it turned into a comic. I could find four or five returnable glass bottles and it was a comic. Nowadays, $5 bills aren't just lying around for 8 year olds to buy comic books. So, this generation isn't going to have the same experience that we had. Not saying that it is better or worse, but it is different.

Sam

This is really nothing new or surprising. It may seem shocking to a lot of collectors when it happens (myself included) but these type of price jumps are normal. Anyone having a access to pay price guides can almost correctly chart the trajectory of anything published from the last 20 + years. These price increases are in the early stages, and those with the insight to pick up high gradecopies will be rewarded. Take it from "one who knows" to quote Star hawk :)

1980 was like 34 years ago, doesn't really feel "modern" to me...

(Especially the fashion, though I do see some of it making a comeback)

Pegged jeans were all the rage in 1985!

Isn't it time for a new era name in there somewhere?

Wasn't someone talking about this not too long ago?

I came to the party late, as a new collector my tastes range from the 1940's to 2014, but I always find some of the conversations at comic cons interesting. At CalComicCon yesterday, I heard old guys talking trash about new comics, they would never read and how the Nolan Batman films were "Not Batman." It seems everyone has their thing, but is quite "in tune" with their generation.

I noticed the pricing at the Cons has been crazy, so many beautiful books I want on the wall, but 90% were more than what they sell for online. I always find that odd?!?!

Dealers at cons are simply trying for the 'ol "here it is right here and now" routine. They figure people on vacation to go to the con are more likely to buy the graded issue right then and there, and are more willing to part with the extra money for the sake of convenience and ease.

And dealers, of course, want to make their money back for the exhibitor fees and cost of transport of their products. They're just trying to make a profit at the expense of the rabid collectors. That's just business. If you wait until near the end of a con, you are likely to get better deals by making offers when dealers are trying to get those last few sells to make the show more successful for them.

This is my experience anyway.

Always keep in mind......it's the Dealers that keep pushing up the prices; and if someone comes along and pays that price......well.......that is what starts the price influx. They're people out there who fall into this all the time.........especially the young folks who don't know better.....I've been collecting 30yrs and man I've seen some crazy .