• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Undervalued Bronze keys?

339 posts in this topic

So I guess those collectors/dealers currently sitting on their 9.8s must be allergic to the $860 price tag (see CLink's Jan 2014 auction results) a 9.8 ST180 fetches nowadays. That kind of money probably isn't worth most people's time or energy.

Hey, don't listen to seasoned collectors, you just run out and buy them all up. Be sure to come back in a few years so we can laugh and throw stuff at you.

I agree ST180 kinda came out of nowhere and did languish in the dollar bins for years.

I highly doubt NM or higher copies of ST 178-181 ever sat in "dollar bins" as Starlin books have been broken out in OS for a very long time, especially CM and ST (not so much later post-Thanos Warlock issues), probably with higher relative OS prices than today.

Special Marvel Edition 15.

Why? That character hasn't been relevant in 30 years. I nor any of my friends who grow up in the 90's ever heard of Shang Chi or whatever the hell his name is and 20 years later I still don't care to.

I've always been surprised at how little love there is for SME 15 and Shang Chi specifically. I rarely read one as a kid because actual super heroes were my thing but every MOKF story I read always made me want to read more.

Properly done, MOKF could be a fantastic movie franchise.

Special Marvel Edition 15.

Why? That character hasn't been relevant in 30 years. I nor any of my friends who grow up in the 90's ever heard of Shang Chi or whatever the hell his name is and 20 years later I still don't care to.

I've always been surprised at how little love there is for SME 15 and Shang Chi specifically. I rarely read one as a kid because actual super heroes were my thing but every MOKF story I read always made me want to read more.

Properly done, MOKF could be a fantastic movie franchise.

Properly done, Jonah Hex could have been a fantastic movie franchise. Unfortunately, it wasn't done properly. I don't see a second attempt to do Hex right in the near future.

I agree ST180 kinda came out of nowhere and did languish in the dollar bins for years.

I highly doubt NM or higher copies of ST 178-181 ever sat in "dollar bins" as Starlin books have been broken out in OS for a very long time, especially CM and ST (not so much later post-Thanos Warlock issues), probably with higher relative OS prices than today.

Well, maybe not "dollar" bins precisely. But I found a midgrade (6.0-7.0 maybe?) ST #180 in a $5 bin at a show just last summer well after the movie hype had already started rolling. I didn't buy it, however, as I personally could not care less about Gamora.

Hopefully someone who likes the character or Starlin actually found it, but I'm sure a speculator ended up buying it and flipping it to another speculator who hopes the movie creates an actual fan of Gamora.

Plus, I mean, there are very few NM or higher copies of anything in dollar bins. Once they get in a dollar bin, it's pretty much impossible to stay NM. But to address this:

Really? You think those insane prices are due to legit fans? Or due to crazy speculators? It's likely a mix of both, no? True fandom seldom explains why a book sees a 200% increase over 12 months.

Sure, there's speculation going on on MP #15 and HFH #1. But when the speculation goes away and all these books drop back to their real value, those two books will still be worth money. And ST #180 will not be, because just anybody who cared about Starlin's Warlock saga and Gamora already bought copies of this comic 15 years ago.

I mean, the whole thing about speculators is that they are hoping the movies spawn a bunch of new interest in these specific characters. Which is possible I guess. But I just can't see an ensemble character like Gamora suddenly becoming popular enough to justify current prices. At least Rocket Raccoon has had his own mini-series and spotlights in the past.

Well, maybe not "dollar" bins precisely. But I found a midgrade (6.0-7.0 maybe?) ST #180 in a $5 bin at a show just last summer well after the movie hype had already started rolling. I didn't buy it, however, as I personally could not care less about Gamora.

Hopefully someone who likes the character or Starlin actually found it, but I'm sure a speculator ended up buying it and flipping it to another speculator who hopes the movie creates an actual fan of Gamora.

Plus, I mean, there are very few NM or higher copies of anything in dollar bins. Once they get in a dollar bin, it's pretty much impossible to stay NM. But to address this:

Really? You think those insane prices are due to legit fans? Or due to crazy speculators? It's likely a mix of both, no? True fandom seldom explains why a book sees a 200% increase over 12 months.

Sure, there's speculation going on on MP #15 and HFH #1. But when the speculation goes away and all these books drop back to their real value, those two books will still be worth money. And ST #180 will not be, because just anybody who cared about Starlin's Warlock saga and Gamora already bought copies of this comic 15 years ago.

I mean, the whole thing about speculators is that they are hoping the movies spawn a bunch of new interest in these specific characters. Which is possible I guess. But I just can't see an ensemble character like Gamora suddenly becoming popular enough to justify current prices. At least Rocket Raccoon has had his own mini-series in spotlights in the past.

:golfclap: well said.

But I just can't see an ensemble character like Gamora suddenly becoming popular enough to justify current prices.

This situation is almost exactly like Lady Deathstrike - when she was announced for the X-Men movies, her books went crazy, there were issues with determining her actual first appearance, and CGC9.8 copies flew off eBay.

Now... not so much.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alpha-Flight-33-CGC-Graded-9-6-1st-Appearance-Of-Lady-Deathstrike-Wolverine-/181303935111?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item2a368e8087

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alpha-Flight-33-CGC-9-8-1st-Lady-Deathstrike-WHITE-Pgs-/141163217593?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item20ddfbc2b9&nma=true&si=aTcC0eXMWghiXIXWDhOkNQ%252BJCWg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Daredevil-1964-1st-Series-197-CGC-9-8-1021263004-/131103183338?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item1e865bd1ea

But I just can't see an ensemble character like Gamora suddenly becoming popular enough to justify current prices.

This situation is almost exactly like Lady Deathstrike - when she was announced for the X-Men movies, her books went crazy, there were issues with determining her actual first appearance, and CGC9.8 copies flew off eBay.

Now... not so much.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alpha-Flight-33-CGC-Graded-9-6-1st-Appearance-Of-Lady-Deathstrike-Wolverine-/181303935111?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item2a368e8087

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alpha-Flight-33-CGC-9-8-1st-Lady-Deathstrike-WHITE-Pgs-/141163217593?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item20ddfbc2b9&nma=true&si=aTcC0eXMWghiXIXWDhOkNQ%252BJCWg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Daredevil-1964-1st-Series-197-CGC-9-8-1021263004-/131103183338?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item1e865bd1ea

Not similar in the least. You're talking about a copper book from 86. And last I checked Lady Deathstrike wasn't integral to any movie franchise.

Now... not so much.

Not similar in the least. You're talking about a copper book from 86. And last I checked Lady Deathstrike wasn't integral to any movie franchise.

Okay Mr 41 Posts, I guess you don't remember when LD was being hyped up as a "major player" in the X-Men movies - give it a few years and Gamora will be similarly forgotten.

Okay Mr 41 Posts, I guess you don't remember when LD was being hyped up as a "major player" in the X-Men movies - give it a few years and Gamora will be similarly forgotten.

(worship) Mr 35847 posts. (thumbs u

Not sure what hype regarding Alpha Flight 33 you're referring to because prices have never fluctuated more than $60 give or take in the last 7 years.

(worship) Mr 35847 posts. (thumbs u

Not sure what hype regarding Alpha Flight 33 you're referring to because prices have never fluctuated more than $60 give or take in the last 7 years.

CGC 9.8s used to consistently be a $100+ book…here is the highest recent sale...Dec-18-2013 $154 Cert# 0220288001

All I know is that by the time Gamora fades back into obscurity, Mr 42 Posts here will be long gone before anyone can laugh at his naivete.

If GOTG is a hit, and I have a sneaking suspicion it will be, it may take some time for that to happen.

All I know is that by the time Gamora fades back into obscurity, Mr 42 Posts here will be long gone before anyone can laugh at his naivete.

Don't count on it. I'll be back to say I told you so when GOTG comes back with a sequel.

Not sure why you hate Gamora so much. Step away from your computer for a bit and talk to real people. Gamora is a fictional green comic character. You take your funny books too seriously, mate.

Now it's 43 posts. :banana: booyah!

I also think GOTG is going to be a hit. I just don't think it's going to translate into sustained value for ST #180. If the movie is popular, which I expect, it should mean that the book will become more valuable than it used to be, which isn't saying much. But I just don't see it ever being a real key issue unless Marvel develops the character in the comics to the point where she can be a viable solo character.

I think movie success can only take a character so far. For comic fans to spend money on back issues in the long term, the character needs to have a presence in the comics as well.

2c

Now, if Gamora proves to be the breakout character in the movie and that in turn prompts Marvel to start featuring her prominently in the comics, then things could be different. But that's a lot of big ifs. We shall see.

I also think GOTG is going to be a hit. I just don't think it's going to translate into sustained value for ST #180. If the movie is popular, which I expect, it should mean that the book will become more valuable than it used to be, which isn't saying much. But I just don't see it ever being a real key issue unless Marvel develops the character in the comics to the point where she can be a viable solo character.

I think movie success can only take a character so far. For comic fans to spend money on back issues in the long term, the character needs to have a presence in the comics as well.

2c

Now, if Gamora proves to be the breakout character in the movie and that in turn prompts Marvel to start featuring her prominently in the comics, then things could be different. But that's a lot of big ifs. We shall see.

I'd agree with this. I can see this book on par with the 1st appearance of Mystique, but nothing more. I don't see it dropping back to double digits for CGC 9.8/9.6 copies though.