• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Undervalued Bronze keys?

339 posts in this topic

Was just reading this thread and A book I think belongs here is Logans Run # 6 . First Solo Thanos story , way undervalued . Its Thanks and his first story. Still cheap on Ebay. I actually had a few copies years ago as I was a big fan of the movie.

What exactly does it mean to be a "solo" story? The story is 5 pages long and has more panels with Drax the Destroyer than Thanos.

I think this issue is fairly priced but not for the forgettable Thanos/Drax story, but for the 1st Mike Zeck art at Marvel. I don't see this issue being way undervalued however. After all, the story is only 5 pages long and there is no cover appearance. In this age of encapsulation, a character needs to appear on the cover for a book to realize it's potential. For example, Incredible Hulk 271 versus Marvel Preview 7. A more recent example are the issues with the Winter Soldier.

A decent book for the Thanos or Drax collection, but I don't think it is undervalued considering how readily available it is in grade.

That is the best six page story of the Bronze Age. It is anything but forgettable.

Was just reading this thread and A book I think belongs here is Logans Run # 6 . First Solo Thanos story , way undervalued . Its Thanks and his first story. Still cheap on Ebay. I actually had a few copies years ago as I was a big fan of the movie.

What exactly does it mean to be a "solo" story? The story is 5 pages long and has more panels with Drax the Destroyer than Thanos.

I think this issue is fairly priced but not for the forgettable Thanos/Drax story, but for the 1st Mike Zeck art at Marvel. I don't see this issue being way undervalued however. After all, the story is only 5 pages long and there is no cover appearance. In this age of encapsulation, a character needs to appear on the cover for a book to realize it's potential. For example, Incredible Hulk 271 versus Marvel Preview 7. A more recent example are the issues with the Winter Soldier.

A decent book for the Thanos or Drax collection, but I don't think it is undervalued considering how readily available it is in grade.

That is the best six page story of the Bronze Age. It is anything but forgettable.

This is the best story of the Bronze Age?

http://www.supermegamonkey.net/chronocomic/entries/logans_run_6_thanos.shtml

Okay.

Okay.

Actually, I just found a better site with the 5 pages shown in their entirety:

http://diversionsofthegroovykind.blogspot.com/2012/05/bring-on-back-ups-final-flower-by.html

Okay.

http://diversionsofthegroovykind.blogspot.com/2012/05/bring-on-back-ups-final-flower-by.html

It's not undervalued at all. If anything, it's a bit inflated. A LR 6 in 9.8 runs anywhere from $225-$350, and this has been steady for awhile. I was away from the hobby for the last few years, but it had it's big price spike a little while back. I'm sure JC or someone else can chime in more about that. And then there's the fact there are plenty of them out there.

Okay.

I didn't say best story, Captain Reading Comprehension. It's the best six pager. (Or 5 pager if that is what it is). I was 7 when I read it first, and I understood completely that Thanos was different from virtually every other villain. He was completely evil, and not motivated by personal gain, rather he was trying to conquer and kill. And the Zeck art was a plus. I can't think of a better filler story from the Bronze Age.

Our Army At War 83 disagrees with you.

Strange Tales 110 disagrees with you.

And you know what? Marvel Preview 7 also disagrees with you. Go compare MP7 to Hulk 271 on GPA

Our Army At War 83 disagrees with you.

Strange Tales 110 disagrees with you.

I don't necessarily agree with rjrjr, but these aren't really good examples at all. They're SA books (for us ol' fuddy-duddies). :grin:

And you know what? Marvel Preview 7 also disagrees with you. Go compare MP7 to Hulk 271 on GPA

And MP #7 was a popular mag way before RR was even credited as appearing in it. I mean, what's not to like about Satana?!? lol

What? "The Final Flower" is probably the only 6-page BA story, right? :facepalm:

I thought it was dumb when I read it as a kid, and it's 100x dumber now.

What? "The Final Flower" is probably the only 6-page BA story, right? :facepalm:

lol

From memory there were some short Martian Manhunter stories in the back of Adventure, Mike Grell's first GA work is in Short story in Action 440 or 441. There is that short Wolverine-Hercules story from the Treasury.

I was obviously an unsophisticated 7 year old.

lol

From memory there were some short Martian Manhunter stories in the back of Adventure, Mike Grell's first GA work is in Short story in Action 440 or 441. There is that short Wolverine-Hercules story from the Treasury.

Weren't the Adams GL/GA stories in the Flash books fairly short?

lol

Those Martian Manhunter stories were great! Early Marshall Rogers & Mike Nasser art (worship)

Seems like an enjoyable story from the eyes of a 12 year old. Why the hate? hm

Okay.

It's not undervalued at all. If anything, it's a bit inflated. A LR 6 in 9.8 runs anywhere from $225-$350, and this has been steady for awhile. I was away from the hobby for the last few years, but it had it's big price spike a little while back. I'm sure JC or someone else can chime in more about that. And then there's the fact there are plenty of them out there.

Yes, but you can get a very nice raw one for $15-$25 shipped. I sold a couple here for that much, nice 9.2-9.4s.

Seems like an enjoyable story from the eyes of a 12 year old. Why the hate? hm

I agree, I thought it was a well done memorable little story. Probably because I have about a 6 page attention span. Heck, one of the few stories I can actually summarize pretty well, indeed I told it to my son as a bedtime story the other night and guess what...he guessed right on what Drax was re-created/engineered to do... "kill Thanos daddy?". I was so proud that he saw that one coming....

He is a little confused about Thanos wanting to date Death though...

There are so many BAD comic stories in the 70s, to pick on this one seems kind of silly.

Here's an interesting book I pick up whenever I can find one in HG for cheap. It's a real first appearance, the character appears on the cover, and it's a 25-cent cover.

a3b438b6-c4c7-4fc4-b85e-db7611eb6e37.jpg

Been looking for a HG copy of this for quite sometime jC . I've been only able to get a 9.4 but had this tiny tear in the upper LH corner on the FC that irked the hell out of me so much I sold it.

You're on point with the 1st app. But are there reports of the 1st app being something else?

Like Black Goliath#1? :facepalm:

You're on point with the 1st app. But are there reports of the 1st app being something else?

This is the first app of Black Goliath, but Bill Foster appeared earlier in Avengers. Similar to Carol Danvers/Ms. Marvel.

This is the first app of Black Goliath, but Bill Foster appeared earlier in Avengers. Similar to Carol Danvers/Ms. Marvel.

Ok yes...the Avengers 32. Which I think have buried in my short stack. But still want a crisp PM 24. Don't keep all the good ones for yourself. :grin: