• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Undervalued Bronze keys?

339 posts in this topic

I'm still waiting for everyone to realize that Brave and Bold 54 isn't the first appearance of the Teen Titans...

It's been discussed before, but I agree. If it is the first appearance then Submariner 34-35 is the first Defenders.

Starlin was extremely popular in the 70's, so I would put the potential number of 9.8's closer to IF 14 than MP 15. Early MP Iron Fist's were junk books for a long time, while the IF Byrne run was heavily collected and worth more in OS for a long time.

So I guess those collectors/dealers currently sitting on their 9.8s must be allergic to the $860 price tag (see CLink's Jan 2014 auction results) a 9.8 ST180 fetches nowadays. That kind of money probably isn't worth most people's time or energy. meh

Late to this thread, but certainly a fun and interesting read! (thumbs u

It's always fun when you find out that you have books in your collection that's worth some money. lol

I would definitely have to side with JC on this one as Starlin was already a fan favorite at the time with his books heavily collected and kept in tip top shape from the get go. Still a lot of HG copies out there, but possibly not out in the marketplace yet due to either:

1) Collectors not yet aware of the GOTG connection and just how hot ST 180; or

2) Collectors not wanting to break up their set by selling off just their ST 180;

I guess I would have to plead guilty to both counts here as I do have an uber HG set of these books, but none of the other surrounding ST issues. Maybe I'll go back in to take a look for them, but most probably wouldn't sell it off anyways as I am just another one of these old time collectors (as opposed to the CGC generation of flippers) who simply holds onto their books.

I really should go look since I know that I have 2 copies of ST 178 since it was the first Starlin issue in the run. I also have another issue in the middle of the run with a second copy simply because it was in such unbelieveably nice condition that I couldn't pass it up. Must have been either ST 179 or if I am really lucky ST 180. :wishluck:

Special Marvel Edition 15.

Depends if Marvel thinks Kung-Fu is coming back in a big way but I think it's definitely a key every Bronze Age collector should own.

I still remember that guy on eBay selling off a crate of warehouse copies. :cloud9:

Seriously, is this book really considered to be undervalued in the marketplace? In other words, will a NM- 9.2 copy really sell for more than the $290 price listed in the 2013 OS guide? ???

I really liked this MOKF series because of the beautiful Gulacy art which was to followed later. Seriously thought this entire run would eventually become a fan favorite because of the Gulacy artwork and would end up appreciating in value. Sad to say, this never ever did happened. :(

With respect to the SME 15 though, is JC close to the truth in the sense that this particular issue may have been part of a warehouse find? One of the very few books where I have actual multiple copies of (i.e. 4 or 5 I believe) as they kept showing up in such uber HG condition at cons for only a few dollars at most, that I simply could not pass them up. ???:cloud9:

I got rid of a lot of my nice (9.2ish) SME 15s when I was selling grab bags. I probably bought 10 of them from Koch 10-12 years ago when he had a bunch up on ebay. I was getting 35-40% of guide on my SA/BA grab bags and I needed some "keys" in there and that was an issue I didn't have a problem letting go at 35% of guide.

Now I'm beginning to wonder if I should have just held on to them and figured out a different way to fill up the OPG value on those lots. Granted, none of these were 9.6-9.8s, but maybe 9.4s...

I got rid of a lot of my nice (9.2ish) SME 15s when I was selling grab bags. I probably bought 10 of them from Koch 10-12 years ago when he had a bunch up on ebay. I was getting 35-40% of guide on my SA/BA grab bags and I needed some "keys" in there and that was an issue I didn't have a problem letting go at 35% of guide.

Now I'm beginning to wonder if I should have just held on to them and figured out a different way to fill up the OPG value on those lots. Granted, none of these were 9.6-9.8s, but maybe 9.4s...

So I guess this means that in reality, the SME 15 is actually overvalued relative to the guide, but undervalued only if it is in 9.8 condition or better?

I believe you could say this for not only any BA key, but for most of the BA or earlier books in general. hm

Why is The Brave and the Bold #200 heating up all of a sudden?

This has been discussed more over in the Copper section.

It's apparently because this is the first appearance of Katana, who will be appearing in season 3 of Arrow.

In other words, more pointless, goofy speculation. I didn't exactly see a massive bump in value for Longbow Hunters #1, the first Shado, so I'm not sure why anyone thinks an appearance on Arrow is going to lead to people actually caring about Katana.

So I guess this means that in reality, the SME 15 is actually overvalued relative to the guide, but undervalued only if it is in 9.8 condition or better?

I believe you could say this for not only any BA key, but for most of the BA or earlier books in general. hm

At the time I was doing grab bags, yes, the character had been pretty dead for a while. Now they seem to be trying to bring him back, so who knows.

I wouldn't say that is true for all BA keys. ASM 129 sells for well over guide in many grades (don't know about 9.0-9.2 though). Dunno what guide is on IM 55, but that was selling over guide for a while. There are others.

Marvel Spotlight (Vol2) #6 - 1st Starlord "comic"

Strange Tales #181 - 1st full appearance of Gamora

Marvel Presents #3- GOTG series begins

Avengers #257 - 1st Nebula - really a copper book but it's an undervalued GOTG key

Just wondering if anybody would have a cover image of this book plus the one for Vol 2 #7 with the Miller Starlord cover?

Just curious as to whether or not I have these 2 books in my collection. :wishluck:

Since OS has placed a much higher valuation on MSH 18 ($800) as compared to MP 7 ($500), what is MSH 18 going for in the real marketplace as uber HG copies of MP 7 seems to be pulling down a couple $K's or more? hm

By the way, that's the second time in a week that I had to clue someone in to comics.org

Also, you can google just about any comic and have the cover pop image pop up.

Have we regressed to pre-internet days? lol

=the blob Dunno what guide is on IM 55, but that was selling over guide for a while.

Overstreet has bumped it up to $850 in this year's top of guide as compared to $750 in the 2013 top of guide. :gossip:

I was more thinking of the 3.0 - 4.5 copies I actually owned that I sold for 250-300% of guide and they went via BIN within minutes of me listing them

=the blob Dunno what guide is on IM 55, but that was selling over guide for a while.

Overstreet has bumped it up to $850 in this year's top of guide as compared to $750 in the 2013 top of guide. :gossip:

I was more thinking of the 3.0 - 4.5 copies I actually owned that I sold for 250-300% of guide and they went via BIN within minutes of me listing them

Well, that's good in the sense it would present a much more realistic view of what's actually out there in terms of the real comic book world.

This year's guide has IM 55 coming in at $75 for a 2.0 copy, $150 for a 4.0 copy, and $225 for a 6.0 copy. Is this more in line with what you got for your copies or is OS still under the market with respect to this particular book? hm

Just wondering if anybody would have a cover image of this book plus the one for Vol 2 #7 with the Miller Starlord cover?

Just curious as to whether or not I have these 2 books in my collection. :wishluck:

Since OS has placed a much higher valuation on MSH 18 ($800) as compared to MP 7 ($500), what is MSH 18 going for in the real marketplace as uber HG copies of MP 7 seems to be pulling down a couple $K's or more? hm

Mycomicshop.com is good for cover images.